Overall Metro North Capacity..

Juelz4309

In light of what happened at just west of spuyten duyvil (rip to the 4 deceased...plus the dozens injured) Which is a very sad issue and I wish it didnt happen....But I had to take note of the amount of trains metro north actually runs...when MTA announced that they could restore 98 percent service which consisted of 170 of the 175 daily trains it runs on the Hudson line alone and  On One track at that I was simply amazed... and its like DAMN! LOL thats ALOT of trains even for one line...This is obviously over the course of a 24 hour period but that still is alotta trains to be runnin simulataneously and to do it on 1 track is simply amazing...And were not talkin bout the the Harlem and new Haven which is safe to say is at least 150 trains per line respectively also...So one has to imagine the delicate and organized chaos And logistics of operating over 500 Trains daily in n out of GCT....day in and day out...those guys at the control center must go thru alotta stress and pressure on a daily basis....much respect to em...i recently rode the metro from woodlawn to grand central and we happended to be side by side inches to spare when we approached the terminal and both trains were switchin around all crazy and my train ended up on the lower level while the other went to the upper...It was like musical chairs times 1000! 

Based on observation, the Stamford local arriving GCT stays for about a hour before going back out as a New Haven express or Stamford local.

This seems to be worked out in advance. In some cases, the turns are listed in the ETT.

It's definitely worked out in advance.  They can't just have equipment running loose all willy-nilly.  Every piece of equipment follows a set system that ensures everything gets where it needs to go and gets shop time when it needs shop time.   Even though it may not be explicitly stated in the timetables, and it of course goes out the window during operation recoveries, but they definitely do manage it.

In light of what happened at just west of spuyten duyvil (rip to the 4 deceased...plus the dozens injured) Which is a very sad issue and I wish it didnt happen....But I had to take note of the amount of trains metro north actually runs...when MTA announced that they could restore 98 percent service which consisted of 170 of the 175 daily trains it runs on the Hudson line alone and  On One track at that I was simply amazed... and its like DAMN! LOL thats ALOT of trains even for one line...This is obviously over the course of a 24 hour period but that still is alotta trains to be runnin simulataneously and to do it on 1 track is simply amazing...And were not talkin bout the the Harlem and new Haven which is safe to say is at least 150 trains per line respectively also...So one has to imagine the delicate and organized chaos And logistics of operating over 500 Trains daily in n out of GCT....day in and day out...those guys at the control center must go thru alotta stress and pressure on a daily basis....much respect to em...i recently rode the metro from woodlawn to grand central and we happended to be side by side inches to spare when we approached the terminal and both trains were switchin around all crazy and my train ended up on the lower level while the other went to the upper...It was like musical chairs times 1000! 

welcome to New York

of the 175 daily trains it runs on the Hudson line alone and  On One track at that I was simply amazed... and its like DAMN! LOL thats ALOT of trains even for one line..

those guys at the control center must go thru alotta stress and pressure on a daily basis....much respect to em...

The scheduled Metro North passenger trains are only part of the picture.  There are also numerous equipment moves done a day (some scheduled, some not) and Amtrak and CSX that have to be taken into account.

That said, yes, the folks in the operations control center can be under an extreme amount of stress even with the smallest hic cup.  Believe me, there isn't a day that goes by with out something out of the ordinary happening.

The scheduled Metro North passenger trains are only part of the picture.  There are also numerous equipment moves done a day (some scheduled, some not) and Amtrak and CSX that have to be taken into account.

That said, yes, the folks in the operations control center can be under an extreme amount of stress even with the smallest hic cup.  Believe me, there isn't a day that goes by with out something out of the ordinary happening.

Well there was a "hiccup" today (Hudson Rail Link Bus was late) as was my connecting train, but it was ironed out by the time we reached GCT.  The guy collecting the tickets did a good job considering how crowded it was.

Well there was a "hiccup" today (Hudson Rail Link Bus was late) as was my connecting train, but it was ironed out by the time we reached GCT.  The guy collecting the tickets did a good job considering how crowded it was.

A compliment from Via G. Now I've seen just about everything!!!

Archived