Convincing Parents

Hello Guys!

It's been a while. :P

I want to build a computer. I have figured out what I want in the build, done my painful research, and compiled my numbers. However, I still need to convince my parents. The first two times I asked they said no, the first time the no came in an unpleasant manner, delivered via yelling, but the second time it was delivered nicely and reasonably. I have spent hours thinking how to convince them.

My idea was to...

1. Connect laptop to TV via VGA 

2. Open a PowerPoint on the topic in Presentation Mode

3. Present it to them

4. Open an Excel file detailing what I have in mind

5. Allow their verdict having seen the presenation.

Sound good?

Oh and BTW this is a mid-range gaming PC, with a Haswell i5 and a Radeon 7750. 

Hello Guys!

I want to build a computer. I have figured out what I want in the build, done my painful research, and compiled my numbers. However, I still need to convince my parents. The first two times I asked they said no, the first time the no came in an unpleasant manner, delivered via yelling, but the second time it was delivered nicely and reasonably. I have spent hours thinking how to convince them.

My idea was to...

3. Present it to them

Sound good?

I personally fail to see why this warrants approval by your parents, but a uniform presentation you are proposing is a more than perfect way of incorporating their opinion.

You obviously know what you're doing, so I say go for it.

If you plan on overclocking, don't get a Haswell i5, get a Sandy Bridge 2500k if you can or at least an i5-3570k Ivy Bridge. From what I've been hearing Haswell's aren't that great in the OC area.  But if you don't plan on overclocking at all, then go for the i5.

The 7750 is not bad for a mid-range, you could probably squeeze out a 7870 these days.

But as CenSin states, present it to the forum first for some feedback. Though showing parents a presentation on this is more than enough. But if you want clear and cut approval from them, don't mention gaming...at all. Try to mention more school work and things that would involve school work. If your parents aren't too computer savvy, then it should be slightly easier picking out the parts unless they go to a computer shop, etc.

I have a 2600k. At the time I built my computer (more than 2 years ago), it was the best processor for overclocking on the market.

Give us the specs of the computer you're considering and we'll give you our opinions.

The Sandy Bridge K's are still considered one of the best processors to overclock!

I personally fail to see why this warrants approval by your parents, but a uniform presentation you are proposing is a more than perfect way of incorporating their opinion.

You obviously know what you're doing, so I say go for it.

Money matters?

Hello Guys!

My idea was to...

3. Present it to them

Sound good?

Is this a matter of money, or do they simply not want another computer in the house (some parents are like that), or something else?.....

If I were your parents, I would think something is immediately is up, when you're bothering them w/ a PPT presentation  :lol:

(unless this is something you normally do when you want something of such magnitude... lol)

But yeah fam, It won't matter how you present it, delivery-wise.... Especially if they're on a rather tight budget.

You have to convince your parents not that you want it, but that you NEED it (as Peacemak3r stated).... Don't know the general disposition of your parents, so I can't go any further with actual ideas......

In either case, good luck with that....

As far as what your build will be comprised of, sure, post it up on the forums for further feedback...

Great, I guess that means the only thing thats outdated on my computer is the GPU. I could upgrade my GTX 570 HD soon.

Heh, I still know some people rockin' GTX 570's no problem. But you could probably pick up a GTX 760 or 770 fairly cheap these days. I would of suggested a GTX 660Ti but those seem to be sold out these days. 660Ti's SLI'd would of been a nice budget setup.

The component list requires a little sprucing up based on feedback from you all, I will get to that ASAP.

I've tried several methods before, but one of three things occurred...

a) I chickened out on it

b) Parents got pissed off on a royal level (resulted in C, but delivered with a side dish of rage)

c) Said no 

I tried putting my PPTX on a 1G flash drive and working autorun magic, then leaving it on their nightstand with a short handwritten letter all sealed in a envelope, but I chickened out.

I was going to do the PPTX on the TV with their prior knowledge, but when Dad came home I said "I have a presentation to show you", and being tipped off earlier by my oh-so-tight-lipped younger bro, launched into a rage which I, if asked to rank, would have given 65 points out of 10. One famous quote from that rage was "You will sit your a$$ upstairs all day doing computer things..."

Oh and my Dad has built a PC before (I think the ancient system tucked away in a corner is a build) and is VERY tech literate so I can't fool him, mom is not tech savvy and would get very scared if she saw me editing the config in my BIOS.

As for general disposition... They do not want me going into a tech career like my Dad even though I have a true passion for tech and I am coming up with a crazy idea for RAM over LAN (yes, I know, data access speeds are not fast enough) and seemingly do not approve of me wanting to build a PC, apparently I do not "need the power in a desktop" even though I do make some short films on the occasion and when I do my system cries for help in terms of temperatures skyrocketing to the 145-160 degree range while simple word processing holds temps from 100-130 degrees. Seems that they don't want me to build such a thing or think I don't need it. By the way, during the yelling session earlier mentioned my dad stated that it would cost in excess of $1K to build a system, while my build cost in the high 700s.

I am pondering how to ask, here's my ideas...

I'm thinking about performing it indirectly. First off I will need to bump up my Math grade (82.8=B), meanwhile every other subject I am holding in the 90s. I then would approach this by doing something that would imply me asking but not have me asking, such as writing/printing out my build list and leaving it in a conspicuous location, such as my desk (my dad does some work in the same room as said desk, his desk is about ≥10 feet from my desk. Or I could ask for it as a bday gift, I am officially becoming a teen this year.

As a final note, I am more than confident in my capability to build a system to replace my 2011 Lenovo X200s (Celeron M 723 @1,2 GHz, 4GB of RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio Blue, integrated video chipset with a 1280x800 on-board display paired with my 1600x900 20 inch Acer S200HL connected via an analog VGA cable(my only form of external display). I have a mediocre experience with tech, I have done the following....

1. Dealt with a blown capacitor on an Optiplex GX270 (stupid Foxconn s***, nasty smell)

2. Gutted that same system mentioned above

3. Installed and removed memory

4. Installed and removed an IDE HDD

5. Installed an OS

6. Installed a NVIDIA P117 via AGP 8x (who uses that interface anymore?)

7. Tortured myself with my computer teacher's build (win95, two hard drives about 10GB each, Pentium MMX 233 MHz, and 47MB RAM that ran faster than the Windows XP boxes we have in the same room)

8. Booted the same system without a case

and that's pretty much it.

EDIT- Sorry for the massive wall of text.

82.8 is considered a B- in my school but that's not the matter. Keeping up good grades is a start to convince parents that you are responsible. Also seeing that, I assume you mean you are turning thirteen, maybe that is a reason why they refuse to have yourself build a computer. Quite frankly, I wondered why most kids under fifteen have electronics anyway.

I acknowledge and appreciate your interest in the computer/technology field, but slow down a bit. At your current age, I can seriously understand why they are restricting you. To be frank, I did not receive my first computer until I was fourteen, I was not able to properly fund and build my own rig until I was nineteen. From what you are saying, I have concluded that your parents are probably taking the right path and feel that you should be more patient with this project. Do well in school first, experience your youth because quite frankly when you get older, you will regret it.

The Lenovo laptop is basically a renamed IBM laptop, it's still top of the line equipment considering the company name (even though it is Asian [Correct me if I am wrong here.]) and despite it using a Celeron processor. What most people from another forum I know of and probably a few people here, Celeron's are not meant for gaming...yet a few try to hard to do. Celeron's are basically the same chipset as their brother's (SandyBridge, IvyBridge, Haswell), they are just restricted in a few ways in terms of performance to cut costs and make affordable. You already maxed out the RAM on that laptop so can not do much there, worst come to worst, you could probably install a bigger HDD into that Lenovo as I know Lenovo's are very expansion friendly. (Except for their X1 Carbon, I believe).

Your best bet is not to force them as that is basically is what is going on with your situation. The constant nagging of it might not work anymore. Another route you may take is to save up money but seeing that you are twelve going to thirteen, a job is definitely not happening.

Archived