Extensive Renovation Project for GWB Rehabilitation Soon Underway

01181busterminal2.jpgWell, you can say the GWB Bus Terminal (before it will look like this after-project) is an absolute dead zone, and full loaded of closed buisnesses. As reported by Time Warner Cable News/NY1, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is planning to rehabilitate the dreary bus terminal for $183 million dollars. The project will bring in a Marshall's, gym, and other new businesses to the terminal. However though, not alot of people are happy with the rehabilitation process. On Friday, May 16th, a ton of community leaders representing Washington Heights, had their remarks on what the Port Authority must achieve.

"We want the Port Authority and the developers to do what's right by this community," said State Senator Adriano Espaillat, who is running against Charles Rangel's congressional seat"Very simple requests."

"No one in this area will continue to thrive or be able to reach the next level of our investment in our neighborhoods unless we're paid decent wages," said Lucia Gomez-Jimenez, executive director of La Fuente.

In a statement, the Port Authority met all officials and said in response:

"We are committed to addressing their concerns. We view this redeveloped bus facility as not only a transportation project but an economic engine that will attract MWBE (Minority and Women Business Enterprises) participants and propel job growth in the Washington Heights community," its statement reads.

The project is also going to detour customers. While rehabilitation, the tunnel that connects the 175th Street  (A) station is going to be closed. Its something riders will say, are going to miss.

"It's going to be a huge headache" says one rider. Another one said:
"I'm really too sure about what other alternatives I'm going to take to get back and forth, but I guess they do what they go to do."

Copryrights to Time Warner Cable News/NY1. No infringement intended.

Leave a comment below of what you think about it.

While the terminal looks like hell right now and needs to be rebuilt. The vote for me and I'll get it free isn't going to work. You are attracting no shoppers to that area as not that many commuters use that facility and if a few of them get mugged on the streets you will have less using that terminal.

While the terminal looks like hell right now and needs to be rebuilt. The vote for me and I'll get it free isn't going to work. You are attracting no shoppers to that area as not that many commuters use that facility and if a few of them get mugged on the streets you will have less using that terminal.

I'm surprised that gentrification hasn't reared its head in Washington Heights yet. At the rate the rest of the city has gentrified, Washington Heights may be different in ten years. If I had said to anyone ten years ago that East New York would be an up and coming neighborhood today, I'd be shipped off to a mental institution.

I've been to that place many times. It's pretty dead save for the homeless people roaming the lengthly passageways.

Copryrights to Time Warner Cable News/NY1. No infringement intended.

I just thought I'd like to share this nugget of knowledge with you for future use:

These "no copyright infringement intended" messages are everywhere on YouTube, and about as effective as a drug dealer asking if you're a cop.

Source: "No Copyright Intended" by Andy Baio of Waxy.org is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 US.

I'm surprised that gentrification hasn't reared its head in Washington Heights yet. At the rate the rest of the city has gentrified, Washington Heights may be different in ten years. If I had said to anyone ten years ago that East New York would be an up and coming neighborhood today, I'd be shipped off to a mental institution.

Not going to happen til the social and economic justice venue is lost. No one is investing in an area if you are going to get fleeced.

Archived