New Parking Signs are not Making Regulations Easier to Understand

My views and experiences with the new signs.

I think a few of the new sign formats are better than the older format signs. This of course only includes the 'No Standing', 'No Parking', and Muni-Meter Parking signs. The only problem with these new sign formats are what I believe you stated on the post, the font size seems smaller than the older formats. On your 'proposed' format signs, I don't really see a difference on design, only the fact that you moved the indentations a bit and added or took out a few things. Also when it comes to the 'X-Hour' types of parking, I think keeping it simple with just everyday except Sunday is easier to read quickly rather making the weekdays separate with a Saturday time.

There are a few signs where the older formats are better off than the new formats. The 'Taxi Stand' is definitely one of them. The only other sign I saw with a new format was a 'Loading' sign for Commercial vehicles and the new format is just...too bland and missing some key information.

Other than that, for a New York resident, new or not, the signs are still somewhat readable. If not, you could always ask someone on the block if it's okay the park there. (I've done this numerous times on a few Manhattan streets to make sure and I've yet to be ticketed, towed, or have any problems.)

My views and experiences with the new signs.

I think a few of the new sign formats are better than the older format signs. This of course only includes the 'No Standing', 'No Parking', and Muni-Meter Parking signs. The only problem with these new sign formats are what I believe you stated on the post, the font size seems smaller than the older formats. On your 'proposed' format signs, I don't really see a difference on design, only the fact that you moved the indentations a bit and added or took out a few things. Also when it comes to the 'X-Hour' types of parking, I think keeping it simple with just everyday except Sunday is easier to read quickly rather making the weekdays separate with a Saturday time.

There are a few signs where the older formats are better off than the new formats. The 'Taxi Stand' is definitely one of them. The only other sign I saw with a new format was a 'Loading' sign for Commercial vehicles and the new format is just...too bland and missing some key information.

Other than that, for a New York resident, new or not, the signs are still somewhat readable. If not, you could always ask someone on the block if it's okay the park there. (I've done this numerous times on a few Manhattan streets to make sure and I've yet to be ticketed, towed, or have any problems.)

I'm surprised you dont see much of a difference in the sign I proposed. By listing Saturday separately, I eliminated the conflicting language and overlapping regulations. It's to confusing to say meters in effect 8:30 AM to 7 PM (Mon thru Fri) when the meters really don't take effect until 10 AM and stop at 4 PM because of the No Standing regulations. By listing Saturday separately, you minimize that confusion.

Okay, my apologies, I carefully looked at your revisions again and it seems a small mistake can go a long way. On the top sign of 'No Standing' you put 10PM instead of the correct 10AM. As well as comparing, I never understood why the 'No Parking' you put only had a Saturday in place compared to the older sign that just states 'Except Sunday' (which most people are accustomed to).

Thanks for spotting the typo. You were the only one who noticed. I'm not saying that all signs should spell out Saturday. But, by doing that in this case, you don't need the sign that says meters not in effect at above times which makes everything easier to understand. There is no need for the no parking for street sweeping purposes on Monday through Friday since it is superseded by the No Standing on those days.

If the typo were not there, you don't think my sign is clearer than the existing one?

Wait until you start seeing an influx of meter maids combing the streets (not just commercial streets either).... I'm more worried about that, than the new parking signs, to be honest.... The fonts can be as large as the palms of your hand & it would not make one bit of difference.... There's never a shortage of impatient (and/or ignorant, as I highly doubt many drivers even read the parking signs anyway) drivers to impose tickets upon in this city.... These new signs are simply gonna make the meter maids' jobs easier...

If the typo were not there, you don't think my sign is clearer than the existing one?

I can't really say since I was raised in the era of the older signs, so naturally I would be accustomed to the older signs rather newer signs.

Archived