MTA Proposes Grand Central Terminal Food Hall Operated by One of World’s Top Restaurateurs

Union Tpke

June 23rd, 2014

vanderbilt_hall_restaurant.jpg?itok=UGkY
Rendering of Grand Central Food Hall

Grand Central is about to get even more enticing food options -- and the venture is to be operated by a world-renowned restaurateur. The MTA board has approved a proposal for a 16,000-square-foot food hall, restaurant and take-out venue the Terminal to be operated by Claus Meyer, who with a young Rene Redzepias headchef and partner, created Noma, in Copenhagen, ranked “Best Restaurant in the World” in annual surveys by Restaurant magazine in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014.

The most prominent component of the venture would be a market-style array of casual food pavilions in the western half of Grand Central’s Vanderbilt Hall, the Terminal’s majestic former main waiting room, at 42nd Street and Park Avenue. All structures associated with the pavilions would be temporary, movable installations so as to avoid impacting the nationally landmarked space. 

There would also be a Nordic brasserie sit-down restaurant for up to 100 people in an adjoining rear interior space that is presently closed to the public, and an interconnecting to-go counter in Grand Central’s Shuttle Passage, currently occupied by Hot & Crusty bakery. Details about the food pavilions, restaurant, and to-go counter, including their names, interior design and menu offerings, will be released ahead of their opening, projected for early 2016. 

“We are delighted to be able to consider welcoming a world-class restaurant that would enliven spaces that are currently either closed to the public or used only for special events,” said MTA Chairman and CEO Thomas F. Prendergast. “The historic renovations of Grand Central completed in 1998 have enabled us to improve the retail environment and increase the revenue we derive from the Terminal’s incomparable real estate, with each passing year.”

The value of the real estate in Grand Central has soared four-fold since the iconic building’s major renovations were completed 17 years ago as the MTA has activated previously unused retail space. In the past few years, well-known tenants have moved in, including the Apple Store, Shake Shack, Café Grumpy and Jacques Torres Chocolate.

Decades ago, Vanderbilt Hall was used by passengers waiting for long-distance trains. In recent years it has been used solely for special events and the annual Holiday Gift Fair. Metro-North Railroad and the MTA’s Real Estate Department have sought ways to provide a continuous and engaging customer experience in the space.  

“We recognized that Vanderbilt Hall is an extraordinary space, but is underutilized and not living up to its full potential,” said Metro-North Railroad President Joseph Giulietti. “This phenomenal array of eateries will change that by drawing people into the space year-round and in so doing will make Grand Central even more grand.”

Metro-North held a design charette in October 2011 that was attended by New York City preservation, design and civic leaders who aimed to identify a lasting legacy that could result from Grand Central Terminal’s Centennial celebrations in 2013. It was at this event that the idea to reactivate Vanderbilt Hall germinated. 

Following the charette, the MTA offered the Vanderbilt Hall space for lease through an open, competitive request-for-proposals process that was announced in May 2012. In response, 12 operators offered 15 proposals for the space. In presenting his proposal, Meyer is working in concert with a group of investors represented by Hugo Uys, who orchestrated the deal, and is supported by HeyerPerformance Inc., a restaurant development firm. A committee of MTA personnel reviewing all proposals determined that the proposal from Meyer’s consortium offered the greatest potential to attract activity to the Terminal.

“With a wide range of price points and customer experiences, Meyer’s team has proposed a diverse and imaginative concept,” said Jeffrey Rosen, MTA Director of Real Estate. “The venture as proposed will complement Grand Central’s existing offerings and further enhance Grand Central’s position as one of the world’s premier public spaces.”

The Meyer group’s proposal also offered the highest bid. The MTA will receive nearly $1.8 million in rent for the space in the first year. The compensation escalates each year with pre-determined rent increases and collection of a percentage of the businesses sales. Minimum rent will rise to $2.06 million in the second year and $2.82 million after 10 years. It would rise to $3.27 million after 15 years if both parties agree after 10 years to exercise an optional five-year contract renewal. 

Meyer is a world-renowned restaurateur and cookbook author.  Besides co-founding Noma, which holds two Michelin stars, he has published 14 cookbooks in his native Denmark and hosted the series “Meyer’s Kitchen” and “New Scandinavian Cooking” on Danish television from 1991 to 1998. Among his other business ventures, Meyer owns several restaurants, bakeries and catering, fruit and chocolate supply companies, an orchard, a vinegar factory, a salmon smoker, a coffee roastery and runs a cooking school. He is also an associate professor in the Department of Food Science at the University of Copenhagen.  

Meyer is the founder and main sponsor of the Melting Pot Foundation that runs food schools in Danish prisons and in 2013 opened a gourmet Restaurant Gustu, in the poorest capital of South America, La Paz Bolivia  and, soon will be running 13 canteens, in primary schools in El Alto.  Gustu and the canteens function as an educational institution overseen by the foundation. Meyer is a prominent advocate of the farm-to-table movement, which seeks to foster local agriculture and encourage sustainable food production.

Grand Central Terminal is home to 100 shops and restaurants. The new venture would be the Terminal’s second largest food-related enterprise, after the Oyster Bar, which fills 25,000 square feet.

The eastern half of Vanderbilt Hall will continue to be used for special events, including the popular annual Holiday Fair.

Well hopefully this will be good.  Folks in Midtown need better food options, and quite frankly most places in the area are pricey and not good.  There are finally a few good coffee spots in the area and of course pricey, but high-end restaurants with good quality food or even take-out or food court style places really suck for the most part.  I am desperate for more high-end places, especially within Grand Central.  It's also good that there is something close to Park Avenue too given the lack of food options along Park itself.

I like Mendy's which is kosher.

I think I've heard of that place. I'm considering giving Shake Shack a go today... The lines have always deterred me from trying it at Madison Square park, but I checked out the menu a few days ago at a few locations and the location Downtown seems the least crowded.  I've passed by the one in Grand Central too and that location wasn't too crowded either, so we'll see.  May take a long lunch today and explore..

That area kinda sucks because there aren't really many options. Not to mention, they are planning to shut down the fast food places in Penn Station.

What area? There are TONS of places around Grand Central.  The issue is the quality of food... A co-worker of mine and his friend from France once ate at a place that at the time was not too far from my office called "Café Centro".  The guy apparently got food poisoning from the place, and all he had was exactly what I had, which was an omelette with gruyere cheese and mushrooms, with pomme frites and a glass of wine.  The omelette was really blah... A tad greasy and tasteless aside from the cheese and mushrooms, but we ate it since we didn't have time to go to another place, and vowed to never return.  I had eaten there once before, as my boss invited me to lunch with one of their colleagues from Europe, and while the mussels were decent, they clearly did not get all of the sand out of them, so the sauce that accompanied the mussels was a bit gritty, but since I wasn't paying for it, I ate it, as the mussels themselves were fine with the pomme frites.

What area? There are TONS of places around Grand Central. The issue is the quality of food... A co-worker of mine and his friend from France once ate at a place that at the time was not too far from my office called "Café Centro". The guy apparently got food poisoning from the place, and all he had was exactly what I had, which was an omelette with gruyere cheese and mushrooms, with pomme frites and a glass of wine. The omelette was really blah... A tad greasy and tasteless aside from the cheese and mushrooms, but we ate it since we didn't have time to go to another place, and vowed to never return. I had eaten there once before, as my boss invited me to lunch with one of their colleagues from Europe, and while the mussels were decent, they clearly did not get all of the sand out of them, so the sauce that accompanied the mussels was a bit gritty, but since I wasn't paying for it, I ate it, as the mussels themselves were fine with the pomme frites.

Yea I Read what you said, I meant in terms of quality there aren't many choices.

Yea I Read what you said, I meant in terms of quality there aren't many choices.

This is true... Also some people complain about the prices around the area... A snack usually runs me about $6.00 - $8.00, which is basically a macchiato or espresso and say two financiers or a pastry, but there are plenty of people around the area that will spend the money.... There are a lot of lawyers, hedge fund types and other folks working in finance in the area, especially along Park, Madison & 5th Avenue, so they have no problem spending $60 - 100 a person on lunch at say Morton's Steakhouse or La Fonda del Sol (cuisine from Spain) or Ammos Estiatorio (Greek cuisine).  There are few other restaurants immediately within the Grand Central area that fetch a good price, and those places always get a good crowd.  My irritation always stemmed from the fact that when I didn't want to go one of the places above or any other restaurant, and just wanted get food from the Grand Central food court, the options really weren't impressive.  There are only a few good places out of that entire food court (maybe 5 or so if that), and most are overpriced.  The rest I never bothered with.  

This is true... Also some people complain about the prices around the area... A snack usually runs me about $6.00 - $8.00, which is basically a macchiato or espresso and say two financiers or a pastry, but there are plenty of people around the area that will spend the money.... There are a lot of lawyers, hedge fund types and other folks working in finance in the area, especially along Park, Madison & 5th Avenue, so they have no problem spending $60 - 100 a person on lunch at say Morton's Steakhouse or La Fonda del Sol (Cuisine from Spain) or Ammos Estiatorio (Greek cuisine). There are few other restaurants immediately within the Grand Central area that fetch a good price, and those place always get a good crowd. My irritation always stemmed in the fact that when I didn't want to go one of the places above or any other restaurant, and just wanted say food from the Grand Central food court, the options really weren't impressive. There are only a few good places out of that entire food court (maybe 5 or so if that), and most are overpriced. The rest I never bothered with.

Yea because it's "rich" people food. It's amazing how people in general cry that they have no money but yet give it away like hot cakes. Lol!

For $6??? I go to Dunkin Donuts get a medium iced coffee and 3 Donuts. But that's here in Long Island, IDK about the city. Probably more money.

Yea because it's "rich" people food. It's amazing how people in general cry that they have no money but yet give it away like hot cakes. Lol!

For $6??? I go to Dunkin Donuts get a medium iced coffee and 3 Donuts. But that's here in Long Island, IDK about the city. Probably more money.

Well the rents in Midtown are sky high which is one reason things cost more in the area.  Also, like I said, the folks that work in the area generally earn well... The types that come in on Metro-North... There was an article somewhere that stated that a large majority of Metro-North riders generally earn over 100k a year, so money isn't an issue.  I just got lunch delivered a few minutes ago from a place that is always slammed with people, and you really can't spend less than $25.00 if you want to eat good there. With my tip, the total was almost $30.00, but I earn ok, no kids to worry about and don't have a car, so I have quite a bit of disposable income as a result.  Kids are expensive. lol

I didn't get much either... A side of rice pilaf with sage and artichokes - $8.00

Applewood smoked chicken sandwich with goat cheese and apple - $10.50

Almond cake slice - $2.75

Organic oatmeal cookie - $3.00

Tip: $3.50 + $2.15 for tax = $29.90

Well the rents in Midtown are sky high which is one reason things cost more in the area. Also, like I said, the folks that work in the area generally earn well... The types that come in on Metro-North... There was an article somewhere that stated a large majority of Metro-North riders generally earn over 100k a year, so money isn't an issue. I just got lunch delivered a few minutes ago from a place that always slammed and you really can't spend less than $25.00 if you want to eat good. With my tip, the total was almost $30.00, but I earn ok, no kids to worry about and don't have a car, so I have quite a bit of disposable income as a result. Kids are expensive. lol

True. I imagine leases and renting is out of this world in midtown. And after all real estate in NY is expensive. And since you use public transit you don't need to worry about cars and all the mishaps that come along with owning one. And of course no kids lol.

Well the rents in Midtown are sky high which is one reason things cost more in the area. Also, like I said, the folks that work in the area generally earn well... The types that come in on Metro-North... There was an article somewhere that stated that a large majority of Metro-North riders generally earn over 100k a year, so money isn't an issue. I just got lunch delivered a few minutes ago from a place that is always slammed with people, and you really can't spend less than $25.00 if you want to eat good there. With my tip, the total was almost $30.00, but I earn ok, no kids to worry about and don't have a car, so I have quite a bit of disposable income as a result. Kids are expensive. lol

I didn't get much either... A side of rice pilaf with sage and artichokes - $8.00

Applewood smoked chicken sandwich with goat cheese and apple - $10.50

Almond cake slice - $2.75

Organic oatmeal cookie - $3.00

Tip: $3.50 + $2.15 for tax = $29.90

Well, if it's good you know it's worth the money..

I read reviews that The Shake shack in GCT has terrible fries.

True. I imagine leases and renting is out of this world in midtown. And after all real estate in NY is expensive. And since you use public transit you don't need to worry about cars and all the mishaps that come along with owning one. And of course no kids lol.

Well, if it's good you know it's worth the money..

I read reviews that The Shake shack in GCT has terrible fries.

Yes, rent is insanely expensive in Midtown... Our office is currently about $9,000 a month and that's down from $20,000 for our previous office.... We downsized since we had a ton of space that we didn't need, so we got a decent deal but still.  A place like Dunkin Donuts since it's a franchise, I guess they probably can absorb the rent and not raise the prices too much, regardless of the location.

As for the car, that's precisely why I don't bother.  Even if I use Metro-North regularly with the express bus it's still only $300 - 400 at the most, which is still wayy cheaper than having a car.  No money for a garage, so that's $300.00 saved, then insurance, plus gas, tolls, maintenance and the monthly payment if you don't own the car outright... I'd say you have to spend a good $800.00 to have a decent car in NYC with the potholes and such, so that money stays in my pocket every month.

Yes, rent is insanely expensive in Midtown... Our office is currently about $9,000 a month and that's down from $20,000 for our previous office.... We downsized since we had a ton of space that we didn't need, so we got a decent deal but still. A place like Dunkin Donuts since it's a franchise, I guess they probably can absorb the rent and not raise the prices too much, regardless of the location.

As for the car, that's precisely why I don't bother. Even if I use Metro-North regularly with the express bus it's still only $300 - 400 at the most, which is still wayy cheaper than having a car. No money for a garage, so that's $300.00 saved, then insurance, plus gas, tolls, maintenance and the monthly payment if you don't own the car outright... I'd say you have to spend a good $800.00 to have a decent car in NYC with the potholes and such, so that money stays in my pocket every month.

That's why I'm not too excited about getting a car. All the money that I'd have to invest.

That's why I'm not too excited about getting a car. All the money that I'd have to invest.

lol... Well you'll need one on Lawwwnng Eyeland.... Speaking of Dunkin Donuts and Grand Central, I think there is one by the 45th street entrance off of Vanderbilt as you're walking to get to Metro-North... There used to be a Blimpie's there and the place was known to have rats, so I don't know who in their right mind would eat there, even if they renovated it.  

lol... Well you'll need one on Lawwwnng Eyeland.... Speaking of Dunkin Donuts and Grand Central, I think there is one by the 45th street entrance off of Vanderbilt as you're walking to get to Metro-North... There used to be a Blimpie's there and the place was known to have rats, so I don't know who in their right mind would eat there, even if they renovated it.

Depends where in LI. And Good to know about the Dunkin Donuts. I think ima eat there when i can lol. :P

• 2 months later...

Has anyone ever been to Michael Jordan's Steakhouse?

Nice location, average food at best. For the money there are many, many better steak places in Manhattan.

I hate going through that area.... Damn chain smokers right by the restaurant... I agree with Fritz.... Many many better steak places in Manhattan.  In fact there's one I would recommend just a few blocks from there... The Capital Grille.

Archived