Lexington Aveune Delays

ConcourseExp

Can someone tell me how the  <4> to Woodlawn during PM Rush Hour is always full when there a  (3) always empty and the  <5> is kind of full. There is also a ton of  (4) trains at 125 Street coming one after the other.

Well the 4 and 5 serves the Bronx, the 3 does not. So thats why passenger demand is much higher, and the train dispatchers must account for it by sending 4 trains continuously to the Bronx, through the busiest rapid transit line in the country (IRT Lexington Ave Line).

The 4 goes through busier areas of the Bronx then the 5 does, the cars I know are jampacked, plus the 2 serves critical stops along the WPR on rush hours which the 5 bypasses, so that may be the reasons. Additionally theres a choke point at 149th/Crand Concourse. 

*I'm assuming you mean uptown

Well the 4 and 5 serves the Bronx, the 3 does not. So thats why passenger demand is much higher, and the train dispatchers must account for it by sending 4 trains continuously to the Bronx, through the busiest rapid transit line in the country (IRT Lexington Ave Line).

The 4 goes through busier areas of the Bronx then the 5 does, the cars I know are jampacked, plus the 2 serves critical stops along the WPR on rush hours which the 5 bypasses, so that may be the reasons. Additionally theres a choke point at 149th/Crand Concourse. 

*I'm assuming you mean uptown

I agree.... (4) trains definitely goes to the busier section of the bronx...

I mean if you are talking about the (3) and (4) in Brooklyn, you know what they say with people's mentalities with express and local.

True, but there seems to be relatively low travel to/from the west side via the east end of the Brooklyn IRT during rush hours in the reverse peak direction. Yes, plenty of people do get off in Downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan, but the vast majority stay until East Midtown or the Upper East Side.

Archived