Leaked: Meet The iPhone 6, The Phone With An Invincible Screen - Infobox

e24512631df602ac0b31ecf345e0d5e9_L.jpg

If you are a lover of Apple products , chances are that you might have at a point in time broken your screen or scratched it from that key you had in your pocket, or when it fell out of your hand when you were in a hurry to pick up that important call.

You probably might have said you wouldn’t either get iPhone again or you have taken safety precautions when handling it. 

But did you know that Apple is going to release new model in September this year? Yes, it’s the iPhone 6, which is by far the most important and innovative upgrade to the iPhone line yet. Floating around the Internet are some leaked specifications of the iPhone 6 that I have summarised here. 

THE PRICE

According to Amazon Japan, the iPhone 6 (4.7-inch variant) is confirmed to be available in store from September 30, 2014, but the price seems to be much higher than I expected. From Yen to US Dollar, the price tag is a whopping $1,381, but it’s uncertain if this price is real. And what does this mean to the African market? For instance in Ghana, the uptake of Apple products is difficult because of the steep prices. Not only are they high because of the base price, but because of all the custom clearing and duties levied on electronics. At least earlier this year, 20% of the cost price is paid for customs.

The e-commerce site also reveals that the iPhone 6 will boast dimensions of 130x65x7mm and will weigh 113 grams. In comparison, the iPhone 5S boasts dimensions of 123.8×58.6×7.6mm and weighs 112 grams. Your guess is as good as mine about the dimensions—let’s wait till September to see the official release.

The new iPhone 6 will feature some design changes including curved edges, a power button on the side rather on the right top-corner and elongated volume rocker instead of the circular volume buttons. Apple is also said to be using a sapphire glass screen for the display, which will make it nearly indestructible.

THE SAPPHIRE SCREEN

For those who might not know, Apple for the past years has used Gorilla Glass to protect the front screens of their iPhones, but seemingly Gorilla Glass has nothing on sapphire. While sapphire glass is more expensive, it’s also a lot stronger and thinner. In fact, in the video below, it shows that the sapphire glass is only as thick as a piece of notebook paper. The video (kind courtesy of Marques Brownlee) also shows him doing everything he can to scratch and damage the sapphire screen using keys, a knife, etc. 

If this sapphire is as strong as it seems, it could mean the days of iPhone users needing to use a screen protector are over and who would complain about that? We will have to wait a while to see how durable the whole iPhone 6 is though, as certainly this is only the front part of the screen. From my perspective, the video seems legitimate. Whether it actually iss, you will have to be the judge of that. 

Marques Brownlee in this video takes a knife and a pair of keys to the display, scraping and scratching, trying to make a nick or mark on the display unit, but it remains unscathed. The flexibility and durability of the display unit is also put to the test when the torturer bends the unit and it doesn't creak or shatter.

This is definitely good news for Apple: one of the biggest issues with previous repetitions of the iPhone was the device's defencelessness to cracks and breaks. If the tech giant can market its newfound fortitude in the display arena, then it may attract more people than just the iPhone loyalists, especially now that it boasts a bigger display.

Link: http://infoboxdaily.com/index.php/component/k2/item/1554-leaked-meet-the-iphone-6-the-phone-with-an-invincible-screen

=======================================================================

*Many thanks to Albert Ninyeh for that article, I owe you one!

Yeah... And for that price tag they can stop using sweatshop labor in China. Apple is an American company, which should make their products here using American labor and American parts. The excuse that it's so expensive to manufacture here is complete bull, especially now that transportation costs are so high to manufacture the way that they do overseas. Maybe when they do that and stop selling out the U.S.A., then maybe I would consider buying one, but for what they charge it's a disgrace that they can't make it here.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-has-destroyed-american-jobs-2012-5?op=1

Well, where it is manufactured that's another story, not getting into that.

The key points in the article involves the type of glass used which is impervious to scratching and super strong. Previous models of the iPhone used gorilla glass I believe, but Apple is now incorporating sapphire glass. Its actually is the same material as the sapphire gem itself, the most well known form of it being the precious stone, red ruby. 

content_1292546183.jpg

Since ruby or sapphire is difficult to find naturally synthetic sapphire is used. The material is made by application of super high heat and extreme pressure to aluminum oxide powder as sapphire is naturally a compound of aluminum and oxygen. It is then heat treated to enhance the molecular structure to remove faults then processed into sheets.

The material is literally stronger then steel. You can hit the iPhone 6 with a hammer the screen will not crack. 

sapphire-screen2.jpg

Well they said gorilla glass was really strong too, so I guess folks should have a wait and see approach. If the people doing the manufacturing lack the skills necessary to turn out quality products, then it will be all for nothing.

I'm sure that the manufacturers will provide top quality materials, Apple seems to always be on the ball when it comes to top quality products in general.

Now, the gorilla glass is strong, yes, but it is not impervious to cracking or scratching, but with this new manufacturing technology you can literally bend the glass and it will not break. I am aware of this technology this was demonstrated in Japan last year I've read.

Well they said gorilla glass was really strong too, so I guess folks should have a wait and see approach. If the people doing the manufacturing lack the skills necessary to turn out quality products, then it will be all for nothing.

The material used which actually has nothing to do with the manufacturing process.... Like steel is steel..... How it's stamped out has nothing to do with the strength. And the current Gorilla glass is much better than it was on my old iPhone. Scratch resistant as well.

The material used which actually has nothing to do with the manufacturing process.... Like steel is steel..... How it's stamped out has nothing to do with the strength. And the current Gorilla glass is much better than it was on my old iPhone. Scratch resistant as well.

I described the manufacturing process to show that synthetic materials such as sapphire glass in itself is proving to have strength properties that even surpasses natural materials. Such as carbon nanotubes. Lightweight and even stronger then steel or the material to be used on the iPhone screens. It is even used on warplanes such as the F22 raptor and the new Russian PAK T50, both tactical stealth fighters.

Yes Gorilla Glass is tough but it will still break if you bend it against its molecular structure. Sapphire glass will not do that. 

My point is if you have quality materials but people that don't know how to combine those products to make a quality end product then it's all for nothing.  There are plenty of products that are made in multiple countries.  The difference in quality often times is noticeable, and if the same exact raw materials are used, then the manufacturing process has to be the issue.

My point is if you have quality materials but people that don't know how to combine those products to make a quality end product then it's all for nothing.  There are plenty of products that are made in multiple countries.  The difference in quality often times is noticeable, and if the same exact raw materials are used, then the manufacturing process has to be the issue.

Well as ENY were saying it wouldn't matter because in this case unlike with say Iron ore needed to make steel they are building synthetic materials, so it wouldn't make a difference. As much as I am iffy about Apple I will have to admit they do build powerful and for that matter durable phones. Even if they are dealing with manufacturers from oversees they still are making a good product.

Well as ENY were saying it wouldn't matter because in this case unlike with say Iron ore needed to make steel they are building synthetic materials, so it wouldn't make a difference. As much as I am iffy about Apple I will have to admit they do build powerful and for that matter durable phones. Even if they are dealing with manufacturers from oversees they still are making a good product.

Not so sure everyone would agree with that assessment. I've used Apple products and it didn't find the durability that great esp. considering the price point.

Not so sure everyone would agree with that assessment. I've used Apple products and it didn't find the durability that great esp. considering the price point.

Well true as many prefer Android for various reasons, particularly as you stated the cost differences. Other differences lies in the software. In comparison with iOS 7, Android has more flexibility with 3rd party apps, better multimedia options, better customization options and a visible file system. Hardware wise however I think the iPhones are better. So each has its ups and downs.

You all say it like Apple came up with it first. Ubuntu Edge was a promising idea that also planned to incorporate sapphire glass. Sadly, Ubuntu could not raise enough money to make the idea come to being.

Well thats not what I mean. I believe LG also experimented with this technology, that I am aware of. Thats when I was first learned about sapphire glass.

Yeah, personally speaking I'll probably see if its worth it upgrading to an iPhone 6. I remember Radio Shack had a great deal with AT&T promo offer with the iPhone 5 last month. 50 dollars a month and the phone itself is free. I mean thats a steal! I missed it though, man...

Archived