Citi Bike deal could be set by end of summer: sources

A deal to bring Citi Bike into new neighborhoods could be sealed this summer, sources told amNewYork.

A proposal to expand the bike share system has been in negotiations for months and would reportedly include new investment from a firm associated with real estate developer Related Companies. The sources did not provide specifics of the deal.

The Wall Street Journal on Thursday reported that the proposal would give the Related-affiliated firm -- REQX Ventures -- a controlling stake in Alta, the company behind New York's bike share operation.

The proposal is expected to be finalized within a week, though it's unclear when the city Department of Transportation would approve the plan, the Journal reported.

"We're committed to making New York City's bike share program more reliable and more accessible to neighborhoods across the city," Wiley Norvell, a spokesman for Mayor Bill de Blasio, said in a statement. "Citi Bike has become part of our public transportation system and there is a lot riding on its success. We owe it to New Yorkers and to riders to get this right, and make sure we put the system on solid footing for the long-term."

Citi Bike, now in its second year, had struggles with its software and maintaining a proper balance of bikes and spaces at docks. Outerborough and upper Manhattan lawmakers have been calling for Citi Bike stations -- currently only in Manhattan below Central Park and areas around downtown Brooklyn -- in their districts to give residents another way to get around. Using public money to fund the extension was an option that the de Blasio administration declined to pursue until Citi Bike's operations and finances improved.

The deal reported in the Journal would let Citi Bike double the number of bikes to about 12,000, from the about 6,000 now.

Queens Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer said his community identified 10 locations that would be prime spots for pedaling off with a Citi Bike. He cited areas like waterfront parks Gantry Plaza and Hunters Point South, the Vernon Boulevard No. 7 station and near the PS1 art museum. The DOT this week said the agency is in talks with community boards in Astoria.

"What we need to see is connectivity and the best way to have connectivity is to have all of western Queens be a part of this program, connecting Manhattan to the west and Brooklyn to the south," he said. "That's the connectivity that we really need to allow the program and neighborhood to flourish."

Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez, the transportation committee chair, said he plans on holding a hearing by the end of the year on expanding Citi Bike.

"I believe that we have to provide that opportunity for anyone interested on giving input so that we can get feedback on how we make the program better and stronger," he said.

Source:http://www.amny.com/transit/citi-bike-deal-in-the-works-by-end-of-summer-1.8886372?utm_source=Gridlock+Sam+e-News+072514&utm_campaign=GS+e-Newsletter&utm_medium=email

I really wished some of the Citi-bike stops/centers were on the sidewalks rather on the streets. Some centers took away crucial parking spots and created so much more traffic.

lol.... Another car person... This city is not far cars... Can't emphasize that enough... It's pretty obvious too...

And why do we need more of these when the Subway is faster, cheaper, and more environmentally friendly?

Because some people don't want to use the subway and some don't want to give the (MTA) their money and I don't blame them.  I have a few people in my office building that bike to work.  They have one of those fold up bikes.... God knows where they shower and change though... 

I don't see the appeal of Citi Bike. I see this as another attempt to get people out of their cars and into public transportation.

I do... People that want to take quick trips can do so.  Often times you have to walk to the subway, get down the stairs, then wait for the train, then do the walk upstairs, etc. etc.  With the bike, all you have to do is get on and be on your way. Plenty of business people use them where I work at.  There's a docking station by Park and 51st that is pretty popular, and I've seen folks biking down Madison as well.  

lol.... Another car person... This city is not far cars... Can't emphasize that enough... It's pretty obvious too...

So you're a bike person now? No more express bus for you?

I don't see the appeal of Citi Bike. I see this as another attempt to get people out of their cars and into public transportation.

I'd hardly consider Citi-bike to be "public transportation," especially since it provides bike without helmets as well. Such a hazard in the streets. Even a non-car person can acknowledge that. Oh wait.

No, but I am pro environment. That's why I use the express bus, Metro-North or I walk. I could easily afford a car, but this is a pedestrian city. Now if I needed a car I would get one, but even when I've considered getting one, I looked at things that were environmentally friendly. That's the European in me I guess, but that's one thing I took from living in Europe.... Just about everyone uses public transi, even those with money, and in fact it is encouraged, as transportation is efficient there.

It seems like the most environmentally friendly solution are bikes.  Small metal frame, two little wheels and man power. They don't need oil changes, don't need gas, and they're not heavy enough to cause road damage. You can look at youtube videos of China before the middle class started growing, TONS of bikes moving efficiently through their cities, now there are nothing but traffic jams and pollution.

Buses use gas, they spew exhaust into the atmosphere, need oil changes constant maintenance, big ass wheels produced from oil, then they get scrapped and become a big rust ball somewhere. Subway and Railroads use ton's of electricity, tons of rails, materials for ties, and maintenance, ton's of metal and materials for building of the subway and rail cars, then they get scrapped and become big rust balls or thrown into the ocean.

Public transportation should be used for efficient movement of people in dense urban areas, but to use "environmentally friendly" as a reason is essentially the result of brainwashing. 

And why do we need more of these when the Subway is faster, cheaper, and more environmentally friendly?

More environmentally friendly? Do you know how much electricity the subway uses?

Also, Cheaper? Citibike is $100 for a annual membership.

Archived