subway map question

ToneCapone

does transit still print subway maps that show you on what avenues the trains run. i remember when i was a kid i had a map that on the back side of the map of the transit system it showed every line/every stop, and it also told you on what avenue or street the train ran on.

for example the 1 train. it showed the red #1 line, it told you all the stops & on what avenue you would find yourself when you got off at a certain stop.

does anyone remember these maps or is it just me(:)). i think these maps would be very convenient for tourists, don't you all agree.

does transit still print subway maps that show you on what avenues the trains run. i remember when i was a kid i had a map that on the back side of the map of the transit system it showed every line/every stop, and it also told you on what avenue or street the train ran on.

for example the 1 train. it showed the red #1 line, it told you all the stops & on what avenue you would find yourself when you got off at a certain stop.

does anyone remember these maps or is it just me(:)). i think these maps would be very convenient for tourists, don't you all agree.

Yeah those were the old maps from 1979 - 1995 or long. I miss em:

Here a collection<4>:

http://subway.com.ru/maps.htm

Transit does not print the 'Individual Route Map' Maps anymore. The last time they did it was back in 1997. When 1998 arrived, we started seeing 'The Map'.

Yup I liked those as well, not only did they list cross streets and avenues, they listed all transfers and service intervals and by looking at the other line map (for the transfer) you could see exactly when those part time transfers were being made. They also listed bus routes available right by each station, and on the back "the map" side, there was a complete service guide listing the service patterns of each train through AM/PM rush, midday, evenings, and overnight hours.

However given that the whole MNCR/LIRR systems are now on "the map" I can't complain...only got 2 sides might as well get as much info out there as possible

i think these maps would be very convenient for tourists, don't you all agree.

They are. They're called bus maps. :)

Those cover what "The Map" doesn't, and I think everyone but tourists know it. Unfortunately, you rarely see token booths have any other than the one for their borough.

However given that the whole MNCR/LIRR systems are now on "the map" I can't complain...only got 2 sides might as well get as much info out there as possible

I think most people who refer to "the map" are using it for subway purposes and not for MNCR or LIRR. The pre-1997 maps gave more information and were more helpful to subway customers for the reasons you mentioned about cross-streets, times, etc. MNCR and LIRR should be on a separate map available at all booths, IMO. I remember looking over those old maps as a little kid, wish I kept one. :(

I think most people who refer to "the map" are using it for subway purposes and not for MNCR or LIRR. The pre-1997 maps gave more information and were more helpful to subway customers for the reasons you mentioned about cross-streets, times, etc. MNCR and LIRR should be on a separate map available at all booths, IMO. I remember looking over those old maps as a little kid, wish I kept one. :(

I've kept a bunch over the years, even as a kid I collected em although in recent years I've been slacking on them unfortunately...just keep forgetting.

Here's the ones I got:

September 30, 1990

December 1991

1992 (one of the "guides" with practically every language ever on one side)

June 1993

August 1994 (have two of these...also the "guides")

February 1995

May-November 1995

May 1996

July 1997

July 2001

March 2008

Also had one from 1980 my mother gave me but I CANNOT find it anywhere, so I figure I will just start scouring e-bay one day and buy a replacement, doesn't matter what it costs...then if I find it, I got two, can keep both, give one to a buddy, who knows...I know I'd never throw anything like that out but I just have no idea where it wouldhave gone...

Actually looking back I got a bunch of bus maps here (Manhattan mostly), but I don't even know where to get em anymore. You used to be able to just pick one up in those metal sleeves by the B/O or entering/exiting the bus, but I never see anything in those anymore.

And here's the part that REALLY baffles me. My mother also gave me a 1980 Manhattan bus map. Still have that. Always kept it WITH the '80 subway map. I feel like I'm playing "which one of these is not like the other"...where the hell would it be? :mad::mad::mad:

subway guy here's the situation with bus maps, at least with mta bus. the depots call up zerega training facility for bus maps & schedules, zerega says yeah we have maps & schedules, send domeone to pick them up. so the depots send someone & when they get there mysteriously the maps & schedules are no where to be found. so the depots stopped stocking up on maps & schedules unless zerega calls and says we have a special order for your depot. i've seen it happen twice already at LGA depot & i've spoken to guys from different mta bus depots, same thing.

does anyone remember these maps or is it just me(:D). i think these maps would be very convenient for tourists, don't you all agree.

yeah i remember those maps...had several back in those days i miss them too

does anyone remember these maps or is it just me(:D). i think these maps would be very convenient for tourists, don't you all agree.

well you could get a train timetable which displays similar info

Archived