B/O's and Insurance

QM1to6Ave

I was talking to one of the B/O's on the QM1 recently, and he told me that if you get into an accident while operating a bus, the other person can actually sue the B/O directly, separately from suing the MTA, and that the MTa won't cover any damages. 

Do B/O's have to carry their own insurance to cover themselves in these matters? That seems really crazy to me

I was talking to one of the B/O's on the QM1 recently, and he told me that if you get into an accident while operating a bus, the other person can actually sue the B/O directly, separately from suing the MTA, and that the MTa won't cover any damages. 

Do B/O's have to carry their own insurance to cover themselves in these matters? That seems really crazy to me

Well actually that does make sense.  Just think about it.... The B/O works for the (MTA) but the B/O is still responsible for his or her actions, so in theory a passenger could sue the (MTA) AND the B/O depending on the circumstances.

The B/O will be named in a suit but he or she will be covered by MTA. You do not need to carry insurance at your own expense. What that B/O told you was not correct.

Thank you for clarifying! That makes much more sense. Hopefully someone tells that to the misinformed B/O I was talking to lol

The B/O will be named in a suit but he or she will be covered by MTA. You do not need to carry insurance at your own expense. What that B/O told you was not correct.

Speaking of insurance...doesn't the MTA carry reinsurance to that end, where they have to pay and are then reimbursed by insurance?

He was partially right... He just wasn't clear about who covers what.

That's a pretty important detail lol! Now that I think about it, he may have meant that if you get arrested during the course of an accident investigation, the MTA will try to fire you and not cover any damages since they would say it was a criminal act, not an accident. 

That's a pretty important detail lol! Now that I think about it, he may have meant that if you get arrested during the course of an accident investigation, the MTA will try to fire you and not cover any damages since they would say it was a criminal act, not an accident. 

Well the (MTA) doesn't like workers who will be a liability, but then again,  no employer does...

Archived