Ipod Classic replacement

Blitz

As we all know, apple has ceased production on the iPod classic. My iPod recent met its end, so I need a replacement. I'm not paying the $400-$500 that they want for iPod classics remaining in stores and I'm not paying $400 for an iPod touch with 1/3 the capacity. I've been looking at 2 non apple "audiophile" choices...the Fiio X5 and Neil Young's ponoplayer. Anyone have experience with either of these players? Or can anyone recommend something different?

As we all know, apple has ceased production on the iPod classic. My iPod recent met its end, so I need a replacement. I'm not paying the $400-$500 that they want for iPod classics remaining in stores and I'm not paying $400 for an iPod touch with 1/3 the capacity. I've been looking at 2 non apple "audiophile" choices...the Fiio X5 and Neil Young's ponoplayer. Anyone have experience with either of these players? Or can anyone recommend something different?

Do you really need a music player?  I just use my Android for music.  I have an HTC One that I paid only $80.00 for last year when I renewed my contract w/Verizon.  It has Beats built into the phone and I have these awesome American made professional earbuds that I paid $215.00 for that give you an amazing audio experience. 

Do you really need a music player?  I just use my Android for music.  I have an HTC One that I paid only $80.00 for last year when I renewed my contract w/Verizon.  It has Beats built into the phone and I have these awesome American made professional earbuds that I paid $215.00 for that give you an amazing audio experience. 

I wonder why you're bragging mentioning those expensive earbuds.  He might also not have the option to get an Android phone.

The HTC One "Beats" built in is really just a phone with an "enhanced" equalizer, pretty much a marketing ploy. Your earbuds, does not help this guy with choosing a  music player for his needs. Your post was pretty much invalid.

--

Furthermore, I don't have much experience with the two devices you posted up, but if you are using a smart phone, couldn't you just use that as your music player source? To match an iPod Classic's storage capacity, I would have probably suggested a used Zune HD, though too bad their software was horrible. 

The HTC One "Beats" built in is really just a phone with an "enhanced" equalizer, pretty much a marketing ploy. Your earbuds, does not help this guy with choosing a  music player for his needs. Your post was pretty much invalid.

--

Furthermore, I don't have much experience with the two devices you posted up, but if you are using a smart phone, couldn't you just use that as your music player source? To match an iPod Classic's storage capacity, I would have probably suggested a used Zune HD, though too bad their software was horrible. 

No it isn't. See below...

I wonder why you're bragging mentioning those expensive earbuds.  He might also not have the option to get an Android phone.

I'm mentioned them because we're talking about music... The point is why does he need to buy a separate device when he could buy a phone and some good earbuds or head sets and kill two birds with one stone... What I paid was still under $400.00 for professional earbuds and a phone. Instead of wasting money on a separate device, he could enhance his listening experience with a good phone and earbuds. The HTC One puts out AMAZING sound, and the professional earbuds capture EVERYTHING, making for an amazing experience.

I'd rather have a stand alone music player because it cuts down on my distraction when I'm in the gym. It also cuts the battery life of the phone down.

Battery life? Lame excuse.  Adjust your phone settings when playing music and don't overcharge your phone and battery life will be a non-issue, which is exactly what I do. Want less distractions? Put the phone on silent when playing music.  You're between a rock and hard place since more companies are consolidating, and that's the way it's going.

A stand-alone music device would usually always outplay a phone with a music player in terms of performance. If you think the HTC One is THAT great in that department, then you've fallen into the marketing scheme of HTC and Beats. And for someone that has "professional" headphones, I'd actually expected you to know that the Beats on the One is a sham, but of course not.

A stand-alone music device would usually always outplay a phone with a music player in terms of performance. If you think the HTC One is THAT great in that department, then you've fallen into the marketing scheme of HTC and Beats. And for someone that has "professional" headphones, I'd actually expected you to know that the Beats on the One is a sham, but of course not.

The HTC One gets very good reviews for the quality of music that it puts out (Beats or no Beats included) and I have to agree with the critics, especially considering the price point and the fact that it's a phone.  A stand alone music device SHOULD outplay a phone considering that's it's only function. <_< You have so much to say about my recommendations yet you have yet to give any.  What a surprise.  That's the real sham.  $215.00 for a pair of Westone "Made in USA" classic earbuds is well worth the expense.  They are certainly respected in the high-end world and there are Westone earbuds that go well over $1,000.00 and are worth every penny. You're probably one of the Bose types.... Total crappola...

HTC changed mobile sound forever when we introduced HTC BoomSound on the award-winning HTC One family of smartphones.

In fact, a recent survey of U.S. phone users found that 74 percent said they were “delighted” with the speaker quality of the HTC One, beating the nearest competitor, the iPhone 5, by 34 percentage points, according to market-research firm GFK.

Source: http://blog.htc.com/2013/09/the-engineering-behind-htc-boomsound/

Any real phone tech would tell you that the HTC's beat's is a sham. Any real audiophile will also tell you that Beats itself is a sham. And getting reports/statistics from an HTC website doesn't prove much.

Also I have given insights on what to get and what not to get. Reading must be a sham for you as well. I just don't like bias suggestions like of what you are giving.

Any real phone tech would tell you that the HTC's beat's is a sham. Any real audiophile will also tell you that Beats itself is a sham. And getting reports/statistics from an HTC website doesn't prove much.

Also I have given insights on what to get and what not to get. Reading must be a sham for you as well. I just don't like bias suggestions like of what you are giving.

I read what you suggested... You suggest an option with buggy software, and then have the nerve to criticize my suggestion?  Really?  That's a very specific suggestion.  

Out of curiosity, how much was the iPod classic that you had, plus the size?

The last iPod I had was the 7th gen 160gb version. It was actually my second 7th gen, the first one died on me a month after the warranty was up.

Archived