Final Phase of 104 St and 88 St A Line Station Renewals Completed

Union Tpke

Looks like they crippled flexiblity. They couldn't make Rockaway Blvd with island platforms and wyes that connect to middle track and outer track for Rockaway Line. Plus, is service really planned to be that frequent that it didn't qualify for a level junction?

I don't see how, considering that there's no need for island platforms primarily because there's no express service along that part of the line. And those buildings have been there for a long time. In order for them to create an island platform, they'd have to knock down those buildings to make the space to create the platform.

Service was never that frequent along that part of the line....it's 7-10 minutes between trains and 15+ along the other parts of the line headed to Lefferts/Rockaways.

Earlier this week, I ended up walking from 127th to Rockaway Blvd due to impatience (No train in sight at Lefferts); wanted to ride the A out to Broadway Junction... The only A train I saw, was when I got up to 104th - travelling towards Lefferts! I shouldn't have wasted time waiting at 111th (token booth level, never swiped at the station) for those 10 mins or so (part of the reason I did that was due to how cold it was)....

To be honest, although I saw the stairwell closings along Liberty, I gave it no thought as to what construction was actually being done... I just wanted to make my way to Rockaway blvd.... Ended up diverting off Liberty at 100th (I think that side street is, which was unshoveled btw; noticed parked police vehicles there) off Liberty so I can hit up the White Castle on Rockaway....

Now you feel my pain lol.

As of Sunday, they started taking apart various fixtures along the platform. Folks already started bitching about the inconvenience this has caused since it's causing problems transferring to the buses.

As much as I doubt this happening, I can kinda see the QM15-17 routes being used a bit more....the 18? Nah. It'll still be slow and horrible...

I don't see how, considering that there's no need for island platforms primarily because there's no express service along that part of the line. And those buildings have been there for a long time. In order for them to create an island platform, they'd have to knock down those buildings to make the space to create the platform.

Service was never that frequent along that part of the line....it's 7-10 minutes between trains and 15+ along the other parts of the line headed to Lefferts/Rockaways.

The island platforms are not what's important. It's the track connections, and all three can lead to the Rockaways which gives it an extra track for insurance. Only the two outer tracks lead to Ozone Park, which means single-tracking or a shuttle bus is in order should any problem occur on either track. Single-tracking would be tricky too considering the track layout and the fact that other trains from the Rockaways are moving in the predominant direction.

All the space for a proper configuration is there. There's only parking lot space north of the junction and the additional trackway would still be over the street itself. I'm not sure if the IND even intended to fully support the elevated line to Ozone Park.

Plus, is service really planned to be that frequent that it didn't qualify for a level junction?

Uh, the (A) is frequent enough already during the weekday midday and Saturday hours (which I don't like at all for a few reasons) --- 9 trains per hour (west of Rockaway Blvd) and 4 to 5 trains per hour (east of Rockaway Blvd). It doesn't need any more trains due to its super long route and sharing with its shorten version (the (C)) and the (D). More trains=more congestion.

• 1 month later...

Are they shutting the station and having trains lay-up there NIS, or are they shutting down entire branch?

As of late, they've been shutting down the branch, as shuttle buses have been running between 80th Street and Lefferts Blvd.

I'm very curious to see where they'll install these elevators.

Archived