Tunnel Beyond Times Square boarded up

Bracamonte

Today in Times Square-42nd Street on the (7) line, I took a look at the tunnel south of the station. Deep in there, I noticed that the southern most tunnel section is like boarded up, covered by a large plank, and on the tracks, I saw four red lights, which appeared to be two bumper blocks.

Today in Times Square-42nd Street on the (7) line, I took a look at the tunnel south of the station. Deep in there, I noticed that the southern most tunnel section is like boarded up, covered by a large plank, and on the tracks, I saw four red lights, which appeared to be two bumper blocks.

It could be that the (7) Line Extension is underway but I doubt it.

Well, they are building one station which is going to be 34th Street–Jacob Javits Convention Center. There was supposed to be a 10th Avenue shell, but they held it back due to funding. So let me get this straight, one new station is nothing.

The thing is with 10th Avenue is that it'll just be a shell, so that its basically provisioned to be a station later on if they do decide to finish the station and open it.

And also, reason the tunnel might be boarded up with a simple bumper block at the end is so that trains don't overshoot the Times Square station and go right into the new tunnel.

Next time i'm in times square i'll take a look & maybe get some photos.

- A

Ive seen it before too, I thought those tracks lead to hudson yard

The hudson yard tracks are 10 blocks south & only have access through penn station.

- A

The thing is with 10th Avenue is that it'll just be a shell, so that its basically provisioned to be a station later on if they do decide to finish the station and open it.

And also, reason the tunnel might be boarded up with a simple bumper block at the end is so that trains don't overshoot the Times Square station and go right into the new tunnel.

a shell eh?

more urban exploration for the next generation

Here's some pictures. Sorry about the poor graphics.

The sign on the top says:"END OF SIGNAL CONTROL. NO THIRD RAIL POWER BEYOND THIS POINT."

ya I know, thats where the Tunnel end, once the line is extended to 11th ave, then the TA will break the wall down

I could of swarn in 2003, I saw a redbird cumming out of there.. =X

The tunnel will be blocked off till they are ready to put in 3rd rail towards the end of the project. They have to drill & blast behind there, so it'll stay up as a barrier to that.

If you are interested in the progress of the (7) line extension simply look for the vertical access shaft near the javits center & wait till they are detonating a full charge. :cool:

- A

The tunnel will be blocked off till they are ready to put in 3rd rail towards the end of the project. They have to drill & blast behind there, so it'll stay up as a barrier to that.

If you are interested in the progress of the (7) line extension simply look for the vertical access shaft near the javits center & wait till they are detonating a full charge. :cool:

- A

huh wat u mean by the last para

huh wat u mean by the last para

They are currently constructing the 7 line extension. They are now working near the javits center on that extension. Go there around there at the right time & you can catch them blasting rock.

- A

The show on the History Channel "Sandhogs" showed workers blasting near the US Post Office garage. I hope that as the show goes on, they can show what is going on down there though the show seems to focus on Water Tunnel #3.

Actually the most recent episode seemed to be about 50/50. The water tunnel is a TAD more important to the whole city than what amounts to a short extension of an IRT line, even if the line is the first IRT fiddling in a long time (75 years?). They should also have coverage of the SAS, and ESA, and when it starts also the ARC tunnels inside the city limits.

I believe they will also have periodic updates on the SAS, even if it's a small segment in the larger show as it progresses more & more.

As for the (7) line extension itself, they have started, yes, but it will be a bit till its in service & completed, so look for more & more coverage of that as they near completion.

- A

i hope to god you didn't see a redbird "cumming" out of there...

buh dum tshhh :D:D

haha :), I speed type sometimes, and othertimes i spell like that as its ALMOST the same heh, I ment coming

andy when will they blast the end of the (7) line near TSQ?

haha :), I speed type sometimes, and othertimes i spell like that as its ALMOST the same heh, I ment coming

andy when will they blast the end of the (7) line near TSQ?

2 or 3 years i'd think. You won't see it though. It will be blocked off completely by pressure bulkheads.

- A

Great photos.

Just around that curve past the bumpers the tunnel stops i believe.

I am going to a mets game on the 24th so i will get even more photos then.

The area where you see the bumpers will be sealed off by metal pressure bulkheads when they need to blast there.

I have seen the light back there for years and always thought it was an abandoned station, but it's actually part of the vent system and emergency access paths webbed around the times square station. I believe they also have backup transformers for the switch system and 3rd rail. When the extension is completed this will likely be walled off and a door installed for emergency access and equipment maintenance uses.

I will put more information here as i get it from (NYCT) folks.

- A

Archived