About the ARC Tunnel

Pablo M 201

New Jersey Transit and the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey just recently released a very interesting and informative video about the ARC Tunnel project.

http://arctunnel.com/video/

The planned entrances amazes me. Just think, I could get to Herald Square and just choose if I wanna ride NJT Rail or PATH back to NJ just right there by each other instead of walking street level to 7th Avenue.

Yea, that will be a welcome change for many, many riders. I still want to see a thru connection to GCT as well, perhaps you could have tracks laid that could see mixed use for amtrak and (NJT) during peak hours so trains can leave en masse towards trenton, and during off peak times and weekends LIRR could move trains using 3rd rail between GCT and NYP by going into nj and reversing before SEC, traffic permitting of course.. This would allow for trains to run in service from NYP on LIRR tracks after dead ending at GCT without needing to bring a train in from the west side yard. Even if the LIRR situation wasn't used regularly, it could be done "just in case" and would add tons of flexibility to the entire area. :(

- A

• 4 months later...
This project has support by both New York and New Jersey governments, so I would expect it to go through and like the current tunnel is very busy in a lot of ways...

It really is needed. Those two tunnels can't handle the increased capacity. Now that we have a more transit friendly president, I hope that Obama does give us the green light into building this.

IMO, it is a national project because the current tunnels are used by Amtrak as well, no? These tunnels are for NJT, exclusively, but, the Amtrak does benefit from it, in a sense, yes?

One time 2 years ago i stood at track 14 at NYP for 3 hours taking videos most of which i deleted by accident.

You would not believe how busy this place is a the platform level. You can really tell that the entire route is bottlenecked by the current trackage layout into nj. Back when PRR operated here there were mostly EMU local and regular inter-city. Now days there is mixed commuter express and local & inter-city express and regular inter-city long distance trains on those same 2 tracks.

PRR could never foresee the need to handle this many trains, because when it was built the world population was less than 2 billion people. Now you have tens of millions along the various routes that PRR and other railroads used to operate served by only one long distance, and 2 statewide commuter agencies.

THE tunnel is needed, because it matches demand with capacity allowing fares to decrease because of more ridership.

- A

One time 2 years ago i stood at track 14 at NYP for 3 hours taking videos most of which i deleted by accident.

You would not believe how busy this place is a the platform level. You can really tell that the entire route is bottlenecked by the current trackage layout into nj. Back when PRR operated here there were mostly EMU local and regular inter-city. Now days there is mixed commuter express and local & inter-city express and regular inter-city long distance trains on those same 2 tracks.

- A

Now that is confusing.

Does anyone know if the new tunnel and 34th st station is going to connect with the East River Tunnel so Amtrak can access the station as well?

I believe they would leave provisioning for that even if it isn't done right away.

- A

Archived