Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ThaVision107 said:

Do they search you/watch you?

You'll empty everything out of your pockets in front of them and put it in a locker in front of them. But it doesn't sound like you're getting there if you're not getting the vaccination.. 

9 minutes ago, ThaVision107 said:

Are the random tests all done in-house or they send you somewhere for testing?

As Milano mentioned, it's in house. It's not just random tests either. If you become involved in an incident you will be subject to testing as well. You have to keep in mind, the position of conductor is considered a safety sensitive position and subject to FTA drug testing rules and guidelines.

Also, if supervision suspects you are under the influence of drugs and alcohol, they will send you in for testing.

Edited by Jericho

2 minutes ago, Milano said:

Then you're right, it makes no sense to go. They'll send you home.

I just did a google search and it comes up right at the top. As of Monday March 13 the vaccine is no longer mandatory 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/health/2023/03/10/mta-to-lift-covid-vaccine-mandate-for-new-employees

so I definitely will be going

1 minute ago, ThaVision107 said:

I just did a google search and it comes up right at the top. As of Monday March 13 the vaccine is no longer mandatory 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/health/2023/03/10/mta-to-lift-covid-vaccine-mandate-for-new-employees

so I definitely will be going

Well that's decent of them 🤠

4 minutes ago, Jericho said:

As Milano mentioned, it's in house. It's not just random tests either. If you become involved in an incident you will be subject to testing as well. You have to keep in mind, the position of conductor is considered a safety sensitive position and subject to FTA drug testing rules and guidelines.

Also, if supervision suspects you are under the influence of drugs and alcohol, they will send you in for testing.

Thanks Robert Ray 😱

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Very true, but a guy I know who has worked for the MTA as a conductor for about 8 years now and is an Everyday smoker and doesn’t have any issues when it comes to passing randoms. 

1 minute ago, ThaVision107 said:

Very true, but a guy I know who has worked for the MTA as a conductor for about 8 years now and is an Everyday smoker and doesn’t have any issues when it comes to passing randoms. 

The get-over mentality does eventually catch up with people. If that's how you wanna live, go for it. 

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not to mention there are literally supervision and managers who do read these threads.

Nothing lasts forever. Quick fix might stop manufacturing that product at some point. MTA might start taking hair samples.

I don't really care what people do, but I do care about people... It's a good job, and to come here everyday taking an unnecessary chance on termination every day, that's just sad. It's never exciting to see someone take a loss. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

Not to mention there are literally supervision and managers who do read these threads.

Yea definitely wouldn’t make sense to sign up to this with the info I use on my application. One thing about “the get-over” mentality is you can’t be stupid and expect to get over lol

1 minute ago, Milano said:

Nothing lasts forever. Quick fix might stop manufacturing that product at some point. MTA might start taking hair samples.

I don't really care what people do, but I do care about people... It's a good job, and to come here everyday taking an unnecessary chance on termination every day, that's just sad. It's never exciting to see someone take a loss. 🤷‍♂️

This is absolutely correct. But the truth is Life eventually catches up to us all at some point. That’s why it’s key to always plan ahead. This is a great job and for some a great career. For others it’s a stepping stone. I don’t know what it for me yet, but I will work my cards to my advantage either way. 

2 minutes ago, ThaVision107 said:

This is absolutely correct. But the truth is Life eventually catches up to us all at some point. That’s why it’s key to always plan ahead. This is a great job and for some a great career. For others it’s a stepping stone. I don’t know what it for me yet, but I will work my cards to my advantage either way. 

Well good luck. And if you become friends with me out there on the road, don't break my heart and get fired for smoking weed. 🫣

20 hours ago, Jetgator said:

How long after your first one  did you have to wait till they called you back to complete the hiring process? 

They swore me in same day. I went in started off with hr handing in paperwork and ended with my medical. After the doctor cleared me I went back to hr and was sworn in

8 minutes ago, subwaysurfer said:

They swore me in same day. I went in started off with hr handing in paperwork and ended with my medical. After the doctor cleared me I went back to hr and was sworn in

Did you have to wait long after your pre-employment to get an offer letter? 

32 minutes ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

I have a question. The email said they needed my GED however I seem to have misplaced it. Can I bring a photocopy of the GED along with my college transcript? 

Yea go get the original that a**hole at window 7 wont take anything but original documents!!

15 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

Yea go get the original that a**hole at window 7 wont take anything but original documents!!

Lol. Hopefully I won’t go to window 7 😂😂😂. They only gave me 3 days notice. Turn around time for a copy of GED is 8-10 weeks so hopefully the college transcript will work. That I have an official copy of. 

Edited by Lov3 qu33n

47 minutes ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

I have a question. The email said they needed my GED however I seem to have misplaced it. Can I bring a photocopy of the GED along with my college transcript? 

They don't want your college transcript. Just bring an original GED. If you had a college degree you could bring that instead of a high school diploma or GED.  I brought my college degree and they didn't want to see my high school diploma. I know exactly what guy they're talking about and somehow I got on his good side. Maybe I'm an a****** too lol 🫣

2 minutes ago, Milano said:

They don't want your college transcript. Just bring an original GED. If you had a college degree you could bring that instead of a high school diploma or GED.  I brought my college degree and they didn't want to see my high school diploma. I know exactly what guy they're talking about and somehow I got on his good side. Maybe I'm an a****** too lol 🫣

Lol. I feel like they make an everything complicated. 😮💨. I have no idea where that GED is at and if I apply for it wait time is 8-10 weeks. Bummer. I’m bout to just not go. Smh 

7 minutes ago, Lov3 qu33n said:

Lol. I feel like they make an everything complicated. 😮💨. I have no idea where that GED is at and if I apply for it wait time is 8-10 weeks. Bummer. I’m bout to just not go. Smh 

Not available online, perhaps a transcript from the school/program that gave you the GED?

Not to be a jerk but you should know where your important documents are. Get a safe. Keep birth certificate, SS card, ged, marriage certificate, will, vehicle titles in there.

Don't stress if it's really that much a hassle tho - go in with what you got, find that guy Kevin running around and see if he can help you before you get up to the window.

Alternatively, call olha and seek guidance from her.

And you're right, they do make things needlessly complicated. Welcome to gov't work.

When I found out I spent 6 hours there for a drug test that they're only going to send out to lab corp.... I was kind of pissed that I couldn't just go to LabCorp and get it done in an hour.

Edited by Milano