Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

6 hours ago, goliver28 said:

This whole backpack thing just has me lost lol. Do they expect us to buy a proper bag or do we not NEED to bring a bag with us? 

whats there to be lost about? Backpacks aren't allowed but you WILL need a bag, either a duffle or a backpack duffle hybrid

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

whats there to be lost about? Backpacks aren't allowed but you WILL need a bag, either a duffle or a backpack duffle hybrid

I want to know if it’s required for me to buy one and bring it for those 3 days. It didn’t say it on the paper so that’s why I’m a little confused.

8 minutes ago, goliver28 said:

I want to know if it’s required for me to buy one and bring it for those 3 days. It didn’t say it on the paper so that’s why I’m a little confused.

They're going to give you a shitload of documents and papers and books and things. Bring a pen. Bring a regular backpack.  Get in the habit of packing lunch if you're done fasting because you'll blow a ton of money on food in the coming months.

Our TSS didn't care what kind of bag you had, but you were required to take it off and carry it high so that none of the straps could get caught on a rail when we were in the yard.

My advice is bring something you already have at this point, and they will discuss with you what kind of bag you can have when the time comes. 

Day 2 will be a meeting with the union. Ask the question there if you want advice ahead of time. You might also spot some school car TSS there handing out your employee passes. Talk to them too if you want the most complete answers. They wear black pants with gray (almost white) shirts. 

The union meeting is a pretty safe place to ask any crazy question you want. Transit Supervisors are not allowed in there until invited. 

Edited by Milano

6 hours ago, Milano said:

They're going to give you a shitload of documents and papers and books and things. Bring a pen. Bring a regular backpack.  Get in the habit of packing lunch if you're done fasting because you'll blow a ton of money on food in the coming months.

Our TSS didn't care what kind of bag you had, but you were required to take it off and carry it high so that none of the straps could get caught on a rail when we were in the yard.

My advice is bring something you already have at this point, and they will discuss with you what kind of bag you can have when the time comes. 

Day 2 will be a meeting with the union. Ask the question there if you want advice ahead of time. You might also spot some school car TSS there handing out your employee passes. Talk to them too if you want the most complete answers. They wear black pants with gray (almost white) shirts. 

The union meeting is a pretty safe place to ask any crazy question you want. Transit Supervisors are not allowed in there until invited. 

Wow thank you for that huge load of information!

3 hours ago, goliver28 said:

Did anyone else get an email about April 10th’s orientation being at 2125 w 13th street instead of the location at montague street?

the way it worked for us was that monday was orientation but via zoom from home, then Tuesday it was the union hall at montague, wednesday was the first real day at school car which is what that wesr 13th address is, its the learning center

The paper they gave you when sworn in shouldve explained everything

28 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

the way it worked for us was that monday was orientation but via zoom from home, then Tuesday it was the union hall at montague, wednesday was the first real day at school car which is what that wesr 13th address is, its the learning center

The paper they gave you when sworn in shouldve explained everything

Yes I’m aware of what the paper said, but I got an email earlier today to go to west 13th street instead and disregard what that paper said. I was just wondering if anybody else got the email.

@darrius this seems like a very long process. If your list # is 77xx and you haven’t started the pre employment process yet… I’m feeling discouraged if we’ll make it in before the list expires. We can only see what happens. 

Maybe they’ll extend the list…I’ll be watching because if they’re not going to call us for train conductor I feel instead of calling the higher list numbers and offering jobs for cleaner, they should’ve offered the lower list numbers that same opportunity. But…we’ll see how this goes.

5 minutes ago, DaVon said:

Maybe they’ll extend the list…I’ll be watching because if they’re not going to call us for train conductor I feel instead of calling the higher list numbers and offering jobs for cleaner, they should’ve offered the lower list numbers that same opportunity. But…we’ll see how this goes.

they wont extend the list again, as civil service exams can run for a maximum of 6 years before havinv to be expired and last extension put it at the max

duh lol. Thank you! Another question. As a rookie conductor, do they place you based on your test score (higher score, do you get to choose your division?) also, do they push OT on newbies right away? Thinking of processing for it (working 5 years in another city agency at the moment). Thank you!

Edited by solidsnakeslug03

1 minute ago, solidsnakeslug03 said:

duh lol. Thank you! Another question. As a rookie conductor, do they place you based on your test score (higher score, do you get to choose your division?) also, do they push OT on newbies right away? Thinking of processing for it (working 5 years in another city agency at the moment). Thank you!

Your list number within your induction class determines the order of how you and your classmates pick divisions. However, there have been classes where everyone is thrown into the same division.

There's a high chance you will be put on the extra board which is when you wait for an assignment.

There are jobs that have overtime built in.

Generally, the only time you would get forced overtime is if you are stuck on the road on your last interval or you are on WAA (work as assigned) at the end and you are told to make another trip that will end past your clearing time.

You cannot be forced to work after your clearing time unless your train was rerouted to a foreign terminal or it's a declared emergency.

2 minutes ago, solidsnakeslug03 said:

will conductor be the only way to be promoted to T/O? I heard the next exam may only be a promotional.

No, they have train operator certification class for cleaners and other positions. If you take that training you can take the promotional for train operator. This is offered as a collaboration between TWU and CUNY

Edited by Milano

7 minutes ago, solidsnakeslug03 said:

will conductor be the only way to be promoted to T/O? I heard the next exam may only be a promotional.

As Milano mentioned, there are classes people within Transit can take to be eligible for the promotional exam. Conductors, tower operators, and bus operators are eligible to be promoted to train operator.

Keep in mind as a conductor, you can also be promoted to tower operator and assistant train dispatcher

11 hours ago, DaVon said:

@darrius this seems like a very long process. If your list # is 77xx and you haven’t started the pre employment process yet… I’m feeling discouraged if we’ll make it in before the list expires. We can only see what happens. 

I did the pre employment/gave urine 04/22. After that they said look out for another email within the next 90 days. Guess that's for medical. Let's see.

36 minutes ago, Darrius said:

I did the pre employment/gave urine 04/22. After that they said look out for another email within the next 90 days. Guess that's for medical. Let's see.

Yea after the urine(drug test) is the medical as well is the fingerprint and photo(that’s if you aren’t on medical hold)