LIRR station announcers are making $200K a year

Via Garibaldi 8

From my 12 years working for a financial institution, i can only say that the company has its best interest on the company and not on the employees.

A public agency is supposed to hold their best interests with the taxpayers, not the employees, so don't go thinking it's going to be an entirely different world.  Even if you think that their best interests might not be with the taxpayers at this moment in time, that's the way it's supposed to be, and it can be forced to revert to that at any instant.

Remember that the public agencies are still in business today only because of substantial financial subsidy from the state, a substantial subsidy that the state is not required to provide.  While the waste and excess may be considered acceptable now, there may come a day when the state can no longer support such large subsidies, and then all the fun will end very quickly.

I don't understand why in the world you would leave the private sector to work for the (MTA) .  When I interned for them it was ok, but to work for them as a career? :huh: Dunno about that.

Maybe job security and a decent retirement. The MTA is full of people from the private sector and other industries.

A public agency is supposed to hold their best interests with the taxpayers, not the employees, so don't go thinking it's going to be an entirely different world.  Even if you think that their best interests might not be with the taxpayers at this moment in time, that's the way it's supposed to be, and it can be forced to revert to that at any instant.

Remember that the public agencies are still in business today only because of substantial financial subsidy from the state, a substantial subsidy that the state is not required to provide.  While the waste and excess may be considered acceptable now, there may come a day when the state can no longer support such large subsidies, and then all the fun will end very quickly.

You could be right and you know who suffers most sad to say. The customers..

Don't expect much different from the railroad.  You're guilty until you prove you're innocent.

Truckie speaks the truth. If you make it , your nothing more than a IBM number to them who can be replaced if they feel the need. The craft your aiming for and the department its in get micromanage more than any other dept on the RR property so don't expect nothing different and just go with the flow.

Maybe job security and a decent retirement. The MTA is full of people from the private sector and other industries.

that's another thing. My retirement sucks. Lol. I don't mind the micromanaging. I deal with that now. I just believe it's a better fit for me career wise.

Truckie speaks the truth. If you make it , your nothing more than a IBM number to them who can be replaced if they feel the need. The craft your aiming for and the department its in get micromanage more than any other dept on the RR property so don't expect nothing different and just go with the flow.

Interesting... Micromanagement WITH job security... Those two things rarely go together.

I'm leaving because I hate it. And besides the LIRR is much better fit for me due to my qualifications. Yes it would be nice to stay at a 9-5 job. But then again I'm not normal. Lol.

that's another thing. My retirement sucks. Lol. I don't mind the micromanaging. I deal with that now. I just believe it's a better fit for me career wise.

Interesting...

Interesting... Micromanagement WITH job security... Those two things rarely go together.

Interesting...

Not at all should it be surprising. I know you heard the term that there are 3 managers per one employee in the MTA.

Micromanage meaning not in losing your job just like that for any little thing so your job security is out the window. Not in that way , but in a way everywhere you go you will run into boss and they will ask about you. Some will act like spotters and you will not know they are there. I know Via you most likely know all your bosses , here its different. Some bosses are from the RR, some are from the MTA itself, you also have state IG , you also have FRA and also NY state superiors. You get the picture now.

Micromanage meaning not in losing your job just like that for any little thing so your job security is out the window. Not in that way , but in a way everywhere you go you will run into boss and they will ask about you. Some will act like spotters and you will not know they are there. I know Via you most likely know all your bosses , here its different. Some bosses are from the RR, some are from the MTA itself, you also have state IG , you also have FRA and also NY state superiors. You get the picture now.

The only boss that I answer to is the president/owner of the company, so yes I know my boss. lol Overall I've always worked at companies where I had only a few people to answer to.  One company wasn't like that and I hated it and quit less than a month after I started.  Also hated the commute amongst other things, but yeah, my boss and I understand each other fairly well.  I don't work well with people micromanaging me.  In fact I hate it.  I pretty much call the shots and have free range to run my department the way I see fit.  Here and there I have to answer to my boss for contracts or really important projects, but for the most part I'm left alone and that's the way I like it.  Often times I can go for quite some time without seeing my boss since we have offices elsewhere, so outside of the regular e-mail, I can stay in my office and not see the boss unless the boss stops by my office or I am called over to her office.  What's important is how much money I'm bringing in for my department and as long as that's good, I usually am not hassled too much.

I must say though, that when I interned for the (MTA) it really wasn't bad.  I had one person that I answered to in each department I worked in and they were pretty cool.  The second guy I worked for would even let me leave a little early once I finished what I had to do.  Working in the offices at the (MTA) is much different from working in the field, that's for sure.  The times that I would go to work with my uncle when he worked at 100 street depot, he would talk about how he had to be careful and not run hot, etc., as people are always watching B/Os.  This was wayyy before bus drivers could be tracked, so I wonder how he is handling the whole BusTime thing. lol  

What's the big deal?  Who cares how many people are watching you...if you don't do anything wrong, the entire train can be managers or supervisors and you won't have anything to worry about.  If you go about your work in a safe, courteous, and professional manner at all times, it makes no difference at all.

For people who are supposed to be working in safety-sensitive positions you and Mr. Truckie seem awfully concerned about getting caught doing things wrong and what happens when you get caught....

What's the big deal?  Who cares how many people are watching you...if you don't do anything wrong, the entire train can be managers or supervisors and you won't have anything to worry about.  If you go about your work in a safe, courteous, and professional manner at all times, it makes no difference at all.

For people who are supposed to be working in safety-sensitive positions you and Mr. Truckie seem awfully concerned about getting caught doing things wrong and what happens when you get caught....

LMAO.... It really makes you wonder.... 

What's the big deal? Who cares how many people are watching you...if you don't do anything wrong, the entire train can be managers or supervisors and you won't have anything to worry about. If you go about your work in a safe, courteous, and professional manner at all times, it makes no difference at all.

First off I was giving advice to the young guy coming into the company as an Engineer and telling "him" what to expect when he continues his journey as he go through training. If you reread the thread you would see that Doc. But of course you always come off as a wise ass. Lol. I been down that road with you before and I already know how anti employee and union you are so there is know need to go further. FYI I never had no issues with any of my superiors. Doc why don't you go back to RRnet so you can get chase off again by not only employees but managers. I need a good laugh!!

The only boss that I answer to is the president/owner of the company, so yes I know my boss. lol Overall I've always worked at companies where I had only a few people to answer to.  One company wasn't like that and I hated it and quit less than a month after I started.  Also hated the commute amongst other things, but yeah, my boss and I understand each other fairly well.  I don't work well with people micromanaging me.  In fact I hate it.  I pretty much call the shots and have free range to run my department the way I see fit.  Here and there I have to answer to my boss for contracts or really important projects, but for the most part I'm left alone and that's the way I like it.  Often times I can go for quite some time without seeing my boss since we have offices elsewhere, so outside of the regular e-mail, I can stay in my office and not see the boss unless the boss stops by my office or I am called over to her office.  What's important is how much money I'm bringing in for my department and as long as that's good, I usually am not hassled too much.

I must say though, that when I interned for the (MTA) it really wasn't bad.  I had one person that I answered to in each department I worked in and they were pretty cool.  The second guy I worked for would even let me leave a little early once I finished what I had to do.  Working in the offices at the (MTA) is much different from working in the field, that's for sure.  The times that I would go to work with my uncle when he worked at 100 street depot, he would talk about how he had to be careful and not run hot, etc., as people are always watching B/Os.  This was wayyy before bus drivers could be tracked, so I wonder how he is handling the whole BusTime thing. lol

Its tough being a BO these days with that law the mayor passed. My hat goes to them. Driving dealing with customers, bad drivers and all the distractions is real tough. But he is right with bosses watching their every move whether its their fault or not.

Thanks for the advice guys. But If I am trained to do a job role to the best of my abilities like LIRR42 said If I am doing my role and my job responsibilities to the best of my abilities. I shouldn't have to worry about people watching my every move. that's not to say that they aren't watching my every move. If I come to work, mind my business, do my job in a safe, courteous and a professional manner. I should be all right. Besides i'm pretty sure that's the last thing that would be on my mind after operating a locomotive.

Thanks for the advice guys. But If I am trained to do a job role to the best of my abilities like LIRR42 said If I am doing my role and my job responsibilities to the best of my abilities. I shouldn't have to worry about people watching my every move. that's not to say that they aren't watching my every move. If I come to work, mind my business, do my job in a safe, courteous and a professional manner. I should be all right. Besides i'm pretty sure that's the last thing that would be on my mind after operating a locomotive.

Well I hope that you're as dedicated as you seem to be on here.  We (the public) need more individuals like you.  Just don't forget that you were once in the private sector too should you make it into the (MTA) family (lol) and go turning your nose up at the general public.  I have to say, I've noticed a better attitude with most (MTA) workers I've interacted with of late.  That's a good thing.  No point in coming to work angry with the public.  It leads to situations that just aren't good for anyone, and usually that worker is fired sooner or later.

There's a guy that I get from time to time on the express bus who worked in the private sector for 10+ years at a law firm.  Really good guy.  We always chat when I get him.  I have yet to ask him, but I am curious as to why in the hell he would leave a law firm to work for the (MTA) when he essentially has to start from the bottom and work his way up again.  Anywho, once we were chatting, and he commented on how this one B/O essentially made enemies with a passenger and how that passenger made sure to look for any dirt on him to get him suspended, and sure enough she recorded him doing something he had no business doing.

I have to say that overall I have encountered fairly professional MNRR workers.  Haven't used the LIRR enough to speak about them but when I've gone to networking dinners and such at the Oheka Castle out on Long Island, it was a peaceful ride to and from the city.

I'm not concerned about doing the wrong thing, I'm concerned being accused of doing the wrong thing.

Case in point:  Last year I received a phone call from a supervisor that a spotter was on one of my trains and I was accused of not making a revenue sweep from Cortlandt to GCT (the train made stops of Croton, Ossining, Tarrytown and Yonkers after Cortlandt).  Fortunately I had cut numerous fares during my alleged disappearance to prove the spotter wrong.

Case in Point #2:  When departing an initial terminal the train would not take power and a car knocker alleged on the radio the locomotive was not set up properly in trail (the car knocker stated that the mode switch was in diesel as opposed to being centered).  After I confronted the individual, he retracted his story.  Interestingly enough, even if it was in diesel, the train would still be able to take power.  Anyway, in the three days that followed, various train masters confronted me with "the download showed the pilot valve was cut in when the brake test was performed".  My answer, not true, if it was the case, there would be air blowing.  I later found out the car knocker cut it the pilot valve in when troubleshooting not taking power.  It was also alleged that my engineer and I never preformed a brake test.  Again, false, as the download proved I did.

In conclusion, I'm not worried about doing something wrong.  Unfortunately the culture is we have to prove we did everything right when accusations of wrong doing are made.

First off I was giving advice to the young guy coming into the company as an Engineer and telling "him" what to expect when he continues his journey as he go through training. If you reread the thread you would see that Doc. But of course you always come off as a wise ass. Lol. I been down that road with you before and I already know how anti employee and union you are so there is know need to go further. FYI I never had no issues with any of my superiors. Doc why don't you go back to RRnet so you can get chase off again by not only employees but managers. I need a good laugh!!

Again, who cares?  All you need to tell them is to do their job in a correct, safe, professional, and customer-friendly manner, and they'll have nothing to worry about.

I'm not concerned about doing the wrong thing, I'm concerned being accused of doing the wrong thing.

In conclusion, I'm not worried about doing something wrong.  Unfortunately the culture is we have to prove we did everything right when accusations of wrong doing are made.

If it's that concerning, then why don't you find work elsewhere?  If you think that management is out to get you and that's such a pressing problem that you resort to complaining about it and purchasing secondary insurance to 'protect yourself', then surely you can find a job elsewhere where you can be more comfortable in your work.

If you've weighed the pros and cons and still decide to continue working for an agency that you think treats you unfairly, then that's the decision you've made on your own, and you've forfeited any standing you had to complain about it.  Last time I checked nobody was forcing you to work for the railroad and you could leave at your pleasure.

If it's that concerning, then why don't you find work elsewhere?  If you think that management is out to get you and that's such a pressing problem that you resort to complaining about it and purchasing secondary insurance to 'protect yourself', then surely you can find a job elsewhere where you can be more comfortable in your work.

If you've weighed the pros and cons and still decide to continue working for an agency that you think treats you unfairly, then that's the decision you've made on your own, and you've forfeited any standing you had to complain about it.  Last time I checked nobody was forcing you to work for the railroad and you could leave at your pleasure.

Excellent points!

Excellent points!

. I see you totally missed the point and rather jumped on the nonsense express. The examples Truckie gave not only happens in the MTA but in every public sector job. I have neighbors who work for the FDNY and NYPD and the stories they tell me about being accused of something they did not do , because a superior had a hunch or gripe. Its not something that makes you want to look for another job , its just a issue you have in the back of your head even though you know your following all safety procedures and rules. But I don't expect much from two has who never worked in a safety sensitive type employment. Carry on with the poms poms.

. I see you totally missed the point and rather jumped on the nonsense express. The examples Truckie gave not only happens in the MTA but in every public sector job. I have neighbors who work for the FDNY and NYPD and the stories they tell me about being accused of something they did not do , because a superior had a hunch or gripe. Its not something that makes you want to look for another job , its just a issue you have in the back of your head even though you know your following all safety procedures and rules. But I don't expect much from two has who never worked in a safety sensitive type employment. Carry on with the poms poms.

Listen, you know what the job entailed when you "signed up" for it, so why the complaints?  Every job has parts about it that sucks.  His comments are legitimate.  Do you two truly like your jobs?   The amount of complaining leads us to think otherwise. If you don't why go for the job?

Listen, you know what the job entailed when you "signed up" for it, so why the complaints? Every job has parts about it that sucks. His comments are legitimate. Do you two truly like your jobs? The amount of complaining leads us to think otherwise. If you don't why go for the job?

HaHa no ones complaining. Most of us do our job with pride and I don't mind going above and beyond for commuters especially the yard I'm in I have too. Most appreciate it. But there are the other few like yourself and Doc know it all who seems to only nag and complain. Remember we only take orders and don't give them. The people up top is who you should have your gripe with , not the frontline workers.

HaHa no ones complaining. Most of us do our job with pride and I don't mind going above and beyond for commuters especially the yard I'm in I have too. Most appreciate it. But there are the other few like yourself and Doc know it all who seems to only nag and complain. Remember we only take orders and don't give them. The people up top is who you should have your gripe with , not the frontline workers.

lol I'm not so sure about that... We're not nagging.  We're just telling it like it is.  How "dare us" challenge the norm...  :lol:

Archived