Is the MTA Finally Adjusting Bus Schedules to Realistic Times?

Via Garibaldi 8

I've checked out several new schedules and notice that the times from terminal to terminal have been lengthened significantly.  They must finally be using BusTime to make schedules more realistic.  I also wonder why this was done? Pressure from the unions and or passengers?  For example, a trip from end to end for the first Riverdale bound BxM18 is almost TWO hours according to the schedule, which is quite accurate.  What does all of these changes to the schedules mean for the (MTA)?

I noticed that many express routes have similar run times at or close to two hours.

Yes this is definitely a change.  Much more run time than before.  There's several BxM1 buses that I take that have run times of 20-30 minutes added which is more realistic to the actual times that they arrive.

I've checked out several new schedules and notice that the times from terminal to terminal have been lengthened significantly.  They must finally be using BusTime to make schedules more realistic.  I also wonder why this was done? Pressure from the unions and or passengers?  For example, a trip from end to end for the first Riverdale bound BxM18 is almost TWO hours according to the schedule, which is quite accurate.  What does all of these changes to the schedules mean for the (MTA)?

It means the MTA has become much more accurate in predicting incompetence

im still finding the schedules of bus unreliable and bustime proves it. On the paper schedules and on the poles at bus stops, bus that run every 15-20 min usually now run about every 40-45 min instead.

That is indeed still a problem.  I hope they continue to adjust schedules regularly because on some lines there is too much run time between certain stops and that leads to drivers leaving the terminal late and then if there's traffic they never get back on schedule.  I have to believe that they're using BusTime to come up with some of the newer schedules.

im still finding the schedules of bus unreliable and bustime proves it. On the paper schedules and on the poles at bus stops, bus that run every 15-20 min usually now run about every 40-45 min instead.

That has always happened. I personally think making the run time longer especially on routes that really don't need it at a specific time gives the driver time to fool around. He or she knows that they are at Point A at 9pm. They have to be at Point B at 10:00. They know that the route at the time only takes around 40 minutes to do. So what could they do? They could run 15 minutes late and When they get to the other terminal they still take the same break and run late. Not all drivers do it but some do. I experience it a lot on the Q25. Always two buses showing up at around 10-10:30 and the first one is either packed or standing room only and then the second one is empty with just two or three people.

The method I stated above is probably why you can have three buses bunched up together on a 15-20 minute schedule at night. I know on the Q25 two usually show up together at Jamaica and then another one is about less than 5 minutes behind.

Archived