Brooklyn Residents Call For More Bus Restorations: B71

Via Garibaldi 8

I have to disagree with that.  In 2010 we were in a recession when the B37 was axed.  I know that even before that time, ridership up to Court Street wasn't that hot and I'll give you that, but I wouldn't say that it's completely out of the question.  You and I know how much Brooklyn has changed even within the last 5 years.  Sunset Park has become far more residential and you have all sorts of new people moving in all along the line.  That isn't to say that the ridership would be booming, but I think it should be looked at at a minimum before saying no outright.  I also agree with you in that we don't need to revive ALL of the routes from 2010.  That's preposterous.  

Sure Brooklyn has changed in the past 5 years.... Still, Sunset Park aint became that residential yet to where the B37 should be looked at into running deeper into downtown... Don't know about you, buuuuuttttt I have not heard of yuppies (in general) making any real push for any betterment of bus service....

Aside from abysmal ridership, the DOT for ages now has been wanting to address the issue of (increased/increasing) traffic along Livingston st (I'd go as far as to say, ever since the 90's - well before the advent/increase in popularity of the B103) anyway.... In particular, the amt. of vehicles turning to/from Flatbush av from/to Livingston st....

B37 got outright cut, the B103 has seen less buses running to/from downtown over the years, you see what happened with the B67 & the bastardization of service/BPH with that route.... I'm not convinced that is coincidence.....The point is that the MTA is complying quite nicely with the DOT with that..... They're not looking to add service (well, period.... but for purposes of this particular discussion) along Livingston st.....

They didn't even make getting from the B37 to connecting buses deeper into downtown all that conducive to the riders.... The sole mission was to dump riders at Atlantic-Pacific for the subway..... So with that type of a mindset, there's no need to send it further.....

As for the BS about reverting all the 2010 bus cuts, well that's as far as I'm gonna go into dubbing it as right now...

I was trying to say that the portion south of Bay Ridge Avenue has seen less ridership than when the  :bus_bullet_b70: ran there.

It (the 70) was very well patronized with at least a seated load all the way to the VA hospital and many people picking it up on 3rd riding all the way...

Of course it did.... Outside of Boerum Hill, the B37 had no real riderbase north of that point (Bay Ridge av).

Sure Brooklyn has changed in the past 5 years.... Still, Sunset Park aint became that residential yet to where the B37 should be looked at into running deeper into downtown... Don't know about you, buuuuuttttt I have not heard of yuppies (in general) making any real push for any betterment of bus service....

Aside from abysmal ridership, the DOT for ages now has been wanting to address the issue of (increased/increasing) traffic along Livingston st (I'd go as far as to say, ever since the 90's - well before the advent/increase in popularity of the B103) anyway.... In particular, the amt. of vehicles turning to/from Flatbush av from/to Livingston st....

B37 got outright cut, the B103 has seen less buses running to/from downtown over the years, you see what happened with the B67 & the bastardization of service/BPH with that route.... I'm not convinced that is coincidence.....The point is that the MTA is complying quite nicely with the DOT with that..... They're not looking to add service (well, period.... but for purposes of this particular discussion) along Livingston st.....

They didn't even make getting from the B37 to connecting buses deeper into downtown all that conducive to the riders.... The sole mission was to dump riders at Atlantic-Pacific for the subway..... So with that type of a mindset, there's no need to send it further.....

As for the BS about reverting all the 2010 bus cuts, well that's as far as I'm gonna go into dubbing it as right now...

Of course it did.... Outside of Boerum Hill, the B37 had no real riderbase north of that point (Bay Ridge av).

Sure Sunset Park hasn't become that much of a residential area yet but it's called gentrification through time it will become more of a residential area the B37 ridership north of Bay Ridge ave would have grown I agree that it only had a tiny bit of decent ridership in Beurem Hill people mainly used that route because they were to lazy to find a way to connect to buses down town IMO the shouldn't axed that bus

You're touching on something that I think about now every day coming to work, and that's the insane amount of traffic.  Gas prices are dirt cheap and everybody and their mother is driving now, so I guess the economy isn't so bad after all.  I think that at some point, if it isn't this mayor, the next mayor is going to have to look at congestion pricing. It's just becoming insane how long it takes to get around everywhere, and it's pushing people off of buses and perhaps back into their cars. I won't even say pushing them onto the subways because the amount of people I see jumping into cabs and driving seems to indicate that some folks don't even want to deal with the subway.  The city has to address this though. I would really like to see tougher enforcement of the double parked delivery trucks all over the place.  They sit there chatting while traffic is backed up on another level.  I mean I leave outside of the rush on purpose and you're still hitting TONS of traffic.

You're touching on something that I think about now every day coming to work, and that's the insane amount of traffic.  Gas prices are dirt cheap and everybody and their mother is driving now, so I guess the economy isn't so bad after all.  I think that at some point, if it isn't this mayor, the next mayor is going to have to look at congestion pricing. It's just becoming insane how long it takes to get around everywhere, and it's pushing people off of buses and perhaps back into their cars. I won't even say pushing them onto the subways because the amount of people I see jumping into cabs and driving seems to indicate that some folks don't even want to deal with the subway.  The city has to address this though. I would really like to see tougher enforcement of the double parked delivery trucks all over the place.  They sit there chatting while traffic is backed up on another level.  I mean I leave outside of the rush on purpose and you're still hitting TONS of traffic.

Unfortunately, while congestion pricing/moveny/whatever the hell the flavor of the month tolling plan is, needs to happen, it would require completely different people in state and city politics. Congestion pricing needs state approval to go through; but in the state it would be a very hard battle. Everyone in Long Island would be against it because they all need to go through the city to get outside. The city politicians  in the state house will never agree to it because they all drive or get chauffered, and think their experiences mirror the working and middle class, even though a $10/hr burger flipper or a $15/hr retail worker or a financially responsible middle class white collar worker is never going to drive in and park at a midtown garage for $4-500 a month.

Double parking for delivery is actually basically legal; UPS, FedEx, and USPS all have bulk discounts on parking tickets. At this point the delivery system needs to be reformed and they need to add more delivery zones on side streets.

Archived