All Ashore, All Ashore!

Brighton Local

Welcome to the Commuter Ferry Boat Section of NYC Transit Forums.

As a former Staten Islander for 22 years, Ive been riding the S I Ferry since I was a little kid.

Anyways, I was upset to learn that the S I Ferry Boat Gov. Herbert H. Lehman was taken out of service a few months back; hence, on the same token, I also read that the American Legion boat was taken out of service. Between Jan and May of this year, i was in school in Arizona, so was not able to view the last trips of these boats. However, is it true the JFK is the ONLY one left in its 1960's class by itself?

Since I've lived in the Bronx my whole life, and I don't know anyone who lives on Staten Island, I've never had any reason to ride the ferry.

I did ride it once on November 15, 2006, to Staten Island and back, just for the fun of it and all (you know, to at least be able to say that I'd done it.)

Well, the last day of service for the Lehman was June 30th, 2007. I was able to be on some of the last rides of it.

Never knew the American Legion was gone.....

Oh, and the JFK is the last of the Kennedy Class.

Is there some kind of museum that can preserve the JFK or any of the other retired ferries?

Archived