Tracks of the NYC Subway 2016 now available

Peter Dougherty

Hi all.

First off, I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to those in this forum who helped out with this year's book by providing roster and road information, signal clarifications and so on. Without you this just wouldn't come to pass every year. Also I'd once again like to offer congratulations to Anthony Maimone and Zach Summer for their winning cover photos. You guys are great!

With that said, the 2016 edition is now finished and was sent to the printers earlier this afternoon. I hope to have books ready to ship before Nov. 25th and the new PDF version is available now.

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,
Author/Publisher
small_cover.jpg
2016 Edition now available!

Yep. I've put in a bunch of closeups of yard leads (Church Ave. Yard, 179th St., Continental, Jerome leads, 240th St. and 207th St.). All car/barn assignments have been updated and a bunch of little stuff. Here's a look at one of these additions.p6.png

http://nyctrackbook.com/Images/p6.png

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,
Author/Publisher
small_cover.jpg

2016 Edition pre-orders Now Available for early-December delivery.

A couple more corrections that I see on just that sample page:

The tail track on C7 is gone, and has been gone for a VERY long time. C7 track ends with 11 switch (which is just to the east of the IRT line on that map), where it merges into C6.

You might want to mention a now common move at Bedford Park. Whenever 205 is empty on weekends and offpeak hours, the next northbound (D) will be brought into the middle (C6) at Bedford, and take a bottom yellow at X440, and then proceed via C1 into 205. This is so that the train does not have to relay in the back. This move is completely signal protected and is not considered "wrong railing" Likewise, you can also bring a train on C2 at 205 back via C2 and into the middle (C6) at Bedford, which is also signal protected. In this case, X526 would have a bottom green.

The split of the IND platform at Fordham goes halfway down the platform and there is a much wider curve for C1. This is for Grand Concourse, which passes under Fordham Rd and is at track level for the northern half of that platform, with the split platform to the sides of the underpass. Glad to see that unlike another track map that's been going around (which is updated to the point that it has Hudson Yards), the switches at Fordham are gone on yours.

Also, "Jerome Yard" is refered to as "Mosholu Yard" on all official MTA documents and discussion....and informally as "The Mosh Pit"

A couple more corrections that I see on just that sample page:

The tail track on C7 is gone, and has been gone for a VERY long time. C7 track ends with 11 switch (which is just to the east of the IRT line on that map), where it merges into C6.

You might want to mention a now common move at Bedford Park. Whenever 205 is empty on weekends and offpeak hours, the next northbound (D) will be brought into the middle (C6) at Bedford, and take a bottom yellow at X440, and then proceed via C1 into 205. This is so that the train does not have to relay in the back. This move is completely signal protected and is not considered "wrong railing" Likewise, you can also bring a train on C2 at 205 back via C2 and into the middle (C6) at Bedford, which is also signal protected. In this case, X526 would have a bottom green.

The split of the IND platform at Fordham goes halfway down the platform and there is a much wider curve for C1. This is for Grand Concourse, which passes under Fordham Rd and is at track level for the northern half of that platform, with the split platform to the sides of the underpass. Glad to see that unlike another track map that's been going around (which is updated to the point that it has Hudson Yards), the switches at Fordham are gone on yours.

Also, "Jerome Yard" is refered to as "Mosholu Yard" on all official MTA documents and discussion....and informally as "The Mosh Pit"

Thanks for the update on C7. Change made for next year (but too late for this run).

As for the track alignment, yes, I realize it's way off. Many of the track depictions are off in terms of alignment and I've been trying to correct them as possible. The underlying single line drawings for that line are all at different scale and re-drawing the whole thing would not be an easy thing to do. I'll try to play with it a bit for next year, though; it's been added to my to-do list, for sure--with thanks--as is your suggestion for the relay procedure and the Most Pit. I love it :)

As for what's on my maps, I try my best to visually verify everything once a change is made known but anything that's not visible to a paid passenger is virtually impossible for me, and I need to get confirmations elsewhere. I think the Bronx IND is the one line I haven't ridden in almost 10 years simply because I can't really get a look out the front (the T/Os all seem to block off any front view on the 68s with newspaper) and that I hadn't seen any notices of change on that line since I last rode it. I guess another trip up north is warranted :)

I'm extremely grateful for your input and please, if you see anything elsewhere please let me know. That's really the only way I can keep things accurate.

Yep. I've put in a bunch of closeups of yard leads (Church Ave. Yard, 179th St., Continental, Jerome leads, 240th St. and 207th St.). All car/barn assignments have been updated and a bunch of little stuff. Here's a look at one of these additions.

http://nyctrackbook.com/Images/p6.png

Cheers,

Peter Dougherty,

Author/Publisher

small_cover.jpg

2016 Edition pre-orders Now Available for early-December delivery.

Oh  I am totally getting the book now...

COOL! (Never knew about that, and they never did it on weekends when I was up there, though I don't know about midnights, though I've been up there close to midnights and still never saw it. Must be a new practice. Were the reverse signals newly added?)

they SHOULD try to eliminate relay moves as much as possible. Like why is the new weekend reextension to Broad St. relaying. instead of just going back out fromt he southbound side? Which would allow them to close the northbound side, and make it safer, with so few people). And the G.O.s where the (J) drops out at Hewes, instead of using one of the pockets at Marcy (also requiring one extra, long, grueling stop on the shuttle bus in all that traffic).

I even hear they want to start relaying on the new Javits terminal, even though you obviously have the two pocket setup, being used now. Do they really think getting all the passengers off and then the T/O having to walk again through all the cards, instead of being able to use the platform, is fun, or more efficneit, or somrthing?

Looks good, C7 is correct now.

The reverse direction signals between Bedford and 205 were put in within the last 5 years. It's an extremely common move on midnights now since it recovers about 10 minutes from a late arrival, since no relaying means no having to clean out the train!

I've been saying for years that the Concourse line should be extended one more stop to Burke Ave. Not only could they make it a regular 2 track terminal with proper crew facilities and eliminate both the relay and crew change at Bedford , but add an in-system transfer to the (2) train!

Archived