Bad Q46 accident

QM1to6Ave

I was about 2 blocks behind this bus on a QM5 when this happened. There was a fireworks show going on at the St. John's campus at the time, which I suspect distracted the car driver who went into the wrong direction of travel. I can't imagine the B/O gets blamed for any of this. The bus (8006) barely looked scratched, but the car's front end was mangled beyond repair. There were like 6 Q46's behind 8006 who just pulled over and discharged passengers, but the EXP buses continued on until police arrived. Then it was a bit of a free for all until the official detour was put in place.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Driver-Killed-Crash-MTA-Bus-Union-Turnpike-Queens-360877771.html

Regardless if the fireworks distracted the driver...how on Earth did he not see the headlights of the oncoming bus? Judging from the intersection's distance to the crash, I believe he had sufficient amount of time to realize. The only thing that can have distracted this even more is if the driver was on the phone.

Side note, the car is somewhat repairable. It'll just probably have a salvage title.

Regardless if the fireworks distracted the driver...how on Earth did he not see the headlights of the oncoming bus? Judging from the intersection's distance to the crash, I believe he had sufficient amount of time to realize. The only thing that can have distracted this even more is if the driver was on the phone.

Side note, the car is somewhat repairable. It'll just probably have a salvage title.

I suspect the oncoming lights would have been so disorienting and confusing that the driver had no idea what to do,,p especially if he had already been somewhat distracted by the fireworks

I figure it wouldn't be too hard to not notice two big headlights and a large LED display with interior lights of the bus.

I doubt that he missed all of that, but since you never expect to see a bus coming at you head on, the driver likely froze up

The other theory I heard was that this was a suicide, but this is a pretty ridiculous way to commit suicide so I doubt that theory.

Archived