New York City bus fleet had most reliable August ever

Trainspotter

New York City bus fleet had most reliable August ever

MTA buses set a reliability record last month, traveling more miles without mechanical problems than any other August on record, transit officials said.

Buses in the MTA's biggest division, NYC Transit, traveled an average of 4,500 miles before needing repair.

The feat is especially impressive because the average age of the fleet is the oldest since 1996, said Joseph Smith, vice president in charge of buses.

Buses take an unusual beating, moving slowly due to traffic even as key components - such as cooling systems - require a faster pace to operate at peak efficiency and to endure as designed, Smith said.

The record was achieved through an aggressive preventative maintenance program, Smith said.

"If I had said, 25 years ago when the system was on its knees, that we would be able to achieve the record mechanical reliability we have accomplished today in the MTA's bus operations, I would have been accused of engaging in fantasy, or worse," MTA CEO Elliot Sander said.

"This is an extraordinary testament to the investment the public has made in our system."

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - September 22, 2008

Here's another congrats to the DOB maintenance team! And of course a giant congrats to the SI Division for stepping up! (because we all know they were the reason why we never got this record before! Lol)

I'm sure the fleet as a whole will only become more reliable from this point on as the O7NGs continue to arrive.

Thats great to hear.

I bet we'll still have the usual bashers, bashing one of the fleets....

That's right, so let me start my bashing now. Kingsbridge was left out by choice, due to the fact, that even though they have the best maintenance personnel, due to the fact they can keep crap running.........crap does dry up, and crumble at some point......Kingsbridge would have cut the miles before breakdown into one fourth (1125miles)........

That's right, so let me start my bashing now. Kingsbridge was left out by choice, due to the fact, that even though they have the best maintenance personnel, due to the fact they can keep crap running.........crap does dry up, and crumble at some point......Kingsbridge would have cut the miles before breakdown into one fourth (1125miles)........

I 2nd that, KB had to be left out. Buses were dropping like flies all over. But then again if they included KB, (MTA) would have to admit they neglect the depot, its routes and communities served by the depot. Which ain't happening.

Archived