Question about L.I.C station

mta B43

Hey guys, I'm just wondering at what time does the earliest (or first) train leave from Long Island City to any points east? Is there any train that departs from there in the morning or do all trains leave in the late afternoon everyday?

Hey guys, I'm just wondering at what time does the earliest (or first) train leave from Long Island City to any points east? Is there any train that departs from there in the morning or do all trains leave in the late afternoon everyday?

At about 3 PM. It's just rush only.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure there are some deadheads to/from Jamaica. According to an old work assignment book, crews DON'T layover in LIC between morning and evening rush hours.

Yeah I think so because today at around 7:30am I saw a set in the yard

I didn't write that ALL sets go to Jamaica. But at least one or two to bring crews back to Jamaica. Generally, AM diesel trains to LIC are crewed from Jamaica. They deadhead the train or run a revenue train to the other end and work back. A crew deadheads a train from Jamaica to Greenport. A crew runs a 1 AM train from Jamaica to Montauk and works back to LIC. Both crews then deadhead or operate a deadhead train to Jamaica (Morris Yard) and sign out.

Oh ok cool didn't know that. They should split the Lower Montauk between LIRR and NY&A so that the diesels can use the Lower Montauk for deadheads to Jamaica, it would be so much more convenient for them. The LIRR could get permission from NY&A to use that portion of the line though because I remember a time about a year ago when LIRR crews hauled a set from LIC to Morris Park via the Lower Montauk but I bet it's extremely rare.

The LIRR SOLD the lower Montauk to NY&A so PTC wouldn't have to be installed. I read somewhere (possibly this forum) that the signals have been moved and a pilot has to be used for LIRR trains so the LIRR sends EVERYTHING over the Main Line.

There weren't many trains on the lower Montauk anyway. There was one revenue train from Oyster Bay in the AM and one to Oyster Bay in the PM plus maybe two deadhead trains in each direction. The deadhead trains operated to transport crews to and from LIC.

I'm pretty sure there are some deadheads to/from Jamaica. According to an old work assignment book, crews DON'T layover in LIC between morning and evening rush hours.

Not true, one crew layover between . I very high seniority base crew.

My work assignment books shows its crew 44.

They report to work at 11:10AM at Port Jeff and deadhead to Jamaica. They operate a deadhead train from Jamaica to LIC. Train 656 leaves LIC at 3:24 PM and arrives Port Jeff at 5:26 PM. They sign out at 5:46. The layover LIC is for one hour. You wrote they layover in LIC between the AM and PM rush. I don't how's that possible. That time counts as time on duty and charged against the hours of service act.

My work assignment books shows its crew 44.

They report to work at 11:10AM at Port Jeff and deadhead to Jamaica. They operate a deadhead train from Jamaica to LIC. Train 656 leaves LIC at 3:24 PM and arrives Port Jeff at 5:26 PM. They sign out at 5:46. The layover LIC is for one hour. You wrote they layover in LIC between the AM and PM rush. I don't how's that possible. That time counts as time on duty and charged against the hours of service act.

They come in on 613 and take 656 out. All I know is they are in LIC all day.

Now you're giving me new information. If they take 613 from Port Jeff, they sign up about 6:20 AM and sign out at 5:46 PM when 656 returns. That's 11 hours 26 minutes on duty. As long as the crew returns by 6:20 PM, there's no problem. But if there is 30 minute delay and they didn't go to a hotel for a minimum 4 hour rest period....

Archived