Travel from Elizabeth to Times Square

LincolnLover

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I currently reside in Staten Island. I work here, and he works in Times Square. We were thinking about moving to Elizabeth or maybe Woodbridge because the cost of housing here is just insane, even in SI. However, he needs to be at work at 6am, so he usually leaves around 4. I noticed that the buses don't start running until 6. I figured he could take the train to Penn Station, but am I correct that you can't then transfer to an MTA subway for free? The cost of traveling would then be way too much.

Is there any easier or cheaper way? Some kind of discount for transferring from NJ transit to MTA?

Any other places you could recommend in NJ?

Thanks so much

There is no transfer between the two agencies. They have to be paid separate. NJTransit allows transfers between its buses. And the MTA between buses and subways.

If he works in Times Square, that might mean an 8 minute walk from the station.

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I currently reside in Staten Island. I work here, and he works in Times Square. We were thinking about moving to Elizabeth or maybe Woodbridge because the cost of housing here is just insane, even in SI. However, he needs to be at work at 6am, so he usually leaves around 4. I noticed that the buses don't start running until 6. I figured he could take the train to Penn Station, but am I correct that you can't then transfer to an MTA subway for free? The cost of traveling would then be way too much.

Is there any easier or cheaper way? Some kind of discount for transferring from NJ transit to MTA?

Thanks so much

I'd suggest moving to Bayonne, because of the S89 bus, and your boyfriend can take the light rail to Hoboken for the 126 or PATH train (which runs all day/night) to Midtown. He can pay for the PATH with a regular Metrocard, but not a 30-day unlimited.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I'd suggest moving to Bayonne, because of the S89 bus, and your boyfriend can take the light rail to Hoboken for the 126 or PATH train (which runs all day/night) to Midtown. He can pay for the PATH with a regular Metrocard, but not a 30-day unlimited.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Bayonne has extremely high rents, I almost made the move there (buying a place) but the overall costs were too much. The s89 only operates on limited hours and depending on the time of day, you will have a nice tour of the NJ Turnpike at maximum speed of 45 MPH. I absolutely hate the HBLR and would dread life going to Midtown every day. HBLR to PATH and Downtown is quite nice OTOH.

Woodbridge has high rents and again you will have to deal with the bridge tolls to work on Staten Island. Keep in mind there is almost no free parking for trains along the rail lines in NJ and NJ Transit passes increase the further you get away from NY Penn. Also remember, the closer to the train stations, the higher the rent. NJT has limited bus service to these stations. 

If you are looking to buy a home, the same thing applies, just add the fun of double or triple the property taxes!

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much

Like everybody said, Penn Station is close enough to Times Square that you can just walk and save on the MTA fare.

The first HBLR train out of Bayonne leaves at 5:11AM and gets to Pavonia-Newport at 5:38AM. That's cutting it very close to get to Times Square at 6AM. He would have to catch the #10 bus to Journal Square for the PATH (the #119 only has trips at 3AM and 5AM, and I think those are only temporary until the Pulaski Skyway project is done)

Archived