ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

4 minutes ago, Mikeyanthony23 said:

I am in training now and you are never at one yard. You do go multiple times during the week sometimes to a certain yard to get familiar with it and the TSS will show you around then it’s up to you to find where you’ll be meeting from there on out. It depends to you if it’s worth driving… I live in Staten Island and there really is no “easy” public transportation way to get to anywhere else in the city, so I drive. It can get pricey BUT I always go earlier to find street parking for free, so that’s a way to save money. But if you live near a subway and it isn’t terrible to commute that way I’d recommend doing that cause you’ll save a good chunk of money since you get free rides. It’s my end of third week and we have been to concourse yard, Coney Island yard, Putkin yard and will be at 207 next week. 

I understand. Thank you for replying and for the information. Most likely I will end up taking public transportation. But I also do not mind leaving my home an extra hour or so earlier to find parking. Also, pay wise you get your first check after 2 weeks right? I know some companies have you waiting after 3 weeks because of that first week thing. Not sure if transit is the same. 

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, TA718 said:

I understand. Thank you for replying and for the information. Most likely I will end up taking public transportation. But I also do not mind leaving my home an extra hour or so earlier to find parking. Also, pay wise you get your first check after 2 weeks right? I know some companies have you waiting after 3 weeks because of that first week thing. Not sure if transit is the same. 

You get it the third week, I started 4/11 and got my first pay check yesterday 

1 hour ago, TA718 said:

I had a question for anyone who already started training. Is it worth it driving to work? Meaning do you always report to the same location for training or do you bounce around?

I recommend applying for the parking permit ASAP. I always drove. If you end up in A division, u can park at every yard with the permit. B division is a little more yard by yard basis, but for the most part you can park. 

2 hours ago, TA718 said:

some yards you can park in the parking lot most of the time. They let me park at Coney Island Yards, Pitkin Yards, Jamaica Yards, and Concourse Yards most of the time, you just show them your pass. I have a parking permit now. But when I was 7 am to 3 pm I would always take public transportation. On the PMs tour and Midnights I drive a lot more. 

5 hours ago, beanz said:

I recommend applying for the parking permit ASAP. I always drove. If you end up in A division, u can park at every yard with the permit. B division is a little more yard by yard basis, but for the most part you can park. 

Definitely will be applying for the parking permit once I get the chance. Thanks for the info 👍🏽

3 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

some yards you can park in the parking lot most of the time. They let me park at Coney Island Yards, Pitkin Yards, Jamaica Yards, and Concourse Yards most of the time, you just show them your pass. I have a parking permit now. But when I was 7 am to 3 pm I would always take public transportation. On the PMs tour and Midnights I drive a lot more. 

Gotcha, I will keep that in mind and yea I think i’ll drive the first week and just go about hour or hour and half earlier so I can find street parking or at least first few days after asking instructor or the yard about parking inside. Thanks for the information. Appreciate you guys. I’m excited to start this new journey. 

1 minute ago, TA718 said:

Gotcha, I will keep that in mind and yea I think i’ll drive the first week and just go about hour or hour and half earlier so I can find street parking or at least first few days after asking instructor or the yard about parking inside. Thanks for the information. Appreciate you guys. I’m excited to start this new journey. 

For sure!

8 hours ago, TA718 said:

I had a question for anyone who already started training. Is it worth it driving to work? Meaning do you always report to the same location for training or do you bounce around?

As a A division LI guy, it varied depending on the day and start time. It's a honestly a trade off between ease and safety for parking versus commute time. Easy and safe to park with less commute time than taking the train screamed drive. Otherwise, I took the train since it was one less thing to worry about.

1 hour ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

As a A division LI guy, it varied depending on the day and start time. It's a honestly a trade off between ease and safety for parking versus commute time. Easy and safe to park with less commute time than taking the train screamed drive. Otherwise, I took the train since it was one less thing to worry about.

I see. Yea it would make sense. I believe I may drive in for a few and once i’m a bit more settled in I guess i’ll take public transportation and just give myself a good amount of time to go into work. 

1 hour ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

231 *ROAD* DAYS. Any day on the platform, sick, vacation, in the yard, or doing switching does not count.

Ok make sense. So once your operating the train meaning having passengers and doing the work pretty much. 

5 hours ago, TA718 said:

I was just going to ask this question too. So after 231 days of school car that’s when you get to pay?

You get top pay 231 days working on the road in customer service. I believe posting doesn't count (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). So basically  231 days of work after you finished schoolcar. 

3 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

You get top pay 231 days working on the road in customer service. I believe posting doesn't count (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). So basically  231 days of work after you finished schoolcar. 

Gotcha. So basically after a year. Considering 231 days is about 7 and a half months. 

47 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Every title under TWU Local 100 are due a 2.75% increase which as it stands for us is around a dollar. Schoolcar trainees are under Train Operator (Yard); TWU Top Pay Rates PDF

oh ok so the 38.25$ for train operator (yard) is the top pay? 2.75% raise on the 36.50 we get in school car is 1 dollar. That's still pretty good. 

31 minutes ago, TA718 said:

I know probationary period is 1 year. I wanted to ask if that is included with the training or does it start after your training. I assumed with the training since there’s two types which end either 5 months or close to 7. 

Yes, it starts on your first day.

13 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

oh ok so the 38.25$ for train operator (yard) is the top pay? 2.75% raise on the 36.50 we get in school car is 1 dollar. That's still pretty good. 

Yes, all the rates you see in that PDF is for top pay.