Rise of the Screens

RTSTdrive

Well here goes 4253 on the S79. Was only displaying advertisements, no announcements or nothing.

https://youtu.be/Ek-jHNPUJCA

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yep these would work better than having back to back screens mounted solely on the front.

Also 7321 has the screens. No announcements yet.

Edit: At the rate the digital screens program is going, we might start seeing 'MTA Bus Operations: Digital Screens' in the main topic forum soon

Good to see they're playing ads, but I didn't see anything in the official documents about how much the MTA is actually getting from the three guinea pigs in this.  Last I saw in the "Board" reports was that advertising dollars are running behind projections, and most of those come from Outfront placings.

One would think that the MTA would require all of the "official" programming (stop displays, transfers, pictogram PSAs) be operational upon installation and ads be inserted once fully operational.  And that buses installed would be completely operational before hitting revenue service.  But I guess, as always, half-assed is somehow better than no-assed.

Good to see they're playing ads, but I didn't see anything in the official documents about how much the MTA is actually getting from the three guinea pigs in this. Last I saw in the "Board" reports was that advertising dollars are running behind projections, and most of those come from Outfront placings.

One would think that the MTA would require all of the "official" programming (stop displays, transfers, pictogram PSAs) be operational upon installation and ads be inserted once fully operational. And that buses installed would be completely operational before hitting revenue service. But I guess, as always, half-assed is somehow better than no-assed.

I think they are still working on programming the announcements and getting out the kinks, first by playing the ads and then the announcements.

Also the ones on the S79 units were literally just installed this week.

I think once we get past these test beds, the process will be much quicker and instantaneous.

I think they are still working on programming the announcements and getting out the kinks, first by playing the ads and then the announcements.

Also the ones on the S79 units were literally just installed this week.

I think once we get past these test beds, the process will be much quicker and instantaneous.

I would think that the companies involving themselves in this whole venture should be somewhat competent in programming necessary to get it operational before they even opted to get into the running.  The primary objective, at least the way I understand it, was to have MTA customer information available.  If it were just to amuse customers on the long journeys, then Outfront could have done something like this years ago, and had another revenue-sharing opportunity to feed the coffers with.

I guess it is a bit more developed since the MTA didn't even venture into having Clever voice announcements/LED stop displays being incorporated already.

Interesting, i wonder why I've never heard about that before.

This was at the same time the MTA was testing out BusTime with Clever as the vendor and that wound up being more greenlit than Clever's voice announcements system and countdown clocks

Here's that system in action on the M34 Select back in 2011. Notice Sara Weaver (same voice of NJT and NICE) as the VO in comparison to the current computerized voice being used (for now...I hope):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=V6A91w4TYiY

• 2 weeks later...

Archived