NJ Transit Arrow III MU Cars

Eric Kreszl

They are awesome! I loved them when they had the full consists on the NJCL. But now you might catch a rare car mixed in in regular NJT fashion. And from what I see they still use them but not in a lot of consists full of arrows,but then again i've only used 1 line.

They are awesome! I loved them when they had the full consists on the NJCL. But now you might catch a rare car mixed in in regular NJT fashion. And from what I see they still use them but not in a lot of consists full of arrows,but then again i've only used 1 line.

Actually, during weekdays, the NJCL South Amboy Local is usually always an Arrow III set. Sometimes they may go futher south down the line.

Actually, during weekdays, the NJCL South Amboy Local is usually always an Arrow III set. Sometimes they may go futher south down the line.

They can only go as far as Matawan due to the Phase Gap west of the station. The phase Gap is also a voltage change location.

I recall seeing them every now and then....but the South Amboy Locals I see are usually six car push-pull sets

Almost everything on the Coast Line is push-pull....actually it would be out of the norm to see an Arrow Consist on the NJCL...not to say it doesn't happen....but its not something thats often

I recall seeing them every now and then....but the South Amboy Locals I see are usually six car push-pull sets

Almost everything on the Coast Line is push-pull....actually it would be out of the norm to see an Arrow Consist on the NJCL...not to say it doesn't happen....but its not something thats often

I have yet to see them yet on the NJCL in the 3 years I get to go out there. I wouldn't mind catching a set going through. That should be a nice catch and a picture or video if I can.

• 3 months later...

Arrow III cars are only used in full consists, they are never mixed in with (unpowered) trailers in revenue service.

Hello,

From What I konow about these cars the Arrow III MU Cars are Very Expensive to maitenance.

Eric

The Arrow III's, being EMU's, are considered Locomotives by the FRA and require extra inspections and maintenance as opposed to unpowered coaches.

This does happen (Arrow III sets being used as South Amboy or Matawan locals on the NJCL), but it is actually quite rare. The vast majority of trains on the NJCL, even if they originate / terminate east of the voltage change, are push-pull sets.

Arrow III cars are only used in full consists, they are never mixed in with (unpowered) trailers in revenue service.

Wrong when they take the pantoes off and are no longer powered,they have the same ribbed things on it same exact setup.And they occasionally get mixed in because the ones that I'm talking bout aren't powered merely a matching car.

Wrong when they take the pantoes off and are no longer powered,they have the same ribbed things on it same exact setup.And they occasionally get mixed in because the ones that I'm talking bout aren't powered merely a matching car.

No, you are talking about something completely different -- the Arrow I's that have been de-powered and converted into coaches (Comet IB). The topic at hand here are the Arrow III EMU's, all of which are powered electric multiple-unit cars and as such are only run in fixed consists -- anywhere from a single car (Princeton Dinky) to six married pairs (12-car NEC sets). Sometimes you will see an Arrow III dead in tow pulled by a locomotive and possibly with some Comets (unpowered trailers), but this is only for Arrow III's that cannot travel under their own power and are heading to the MMC for maintenance.

The Comet IB's (de-powered Arrow I shells converted into trailers) generally are only seen on the Hoboken Division, but every now and then you see one on the Newark side.

No, you are talking about something completely different -- the Arrow I's that have been de-powered and converted into coaches (Comet IB). The topic at hand here are the Arrow III EMU's, all of which are powered electric multiple-unit cars and as such are only run in fixed consists -- anywhere from a single car (Princeton Dinky) to six married pairs (12-car NEC sets). Sometimes you will see an Arrow III dead in tow pulled by a locomotive and possibly with some Comets (unpowered trailers), but this is only for Arrow III's that cannot travel under their own power and are heading to the MMC for maintenance.

The Comet IB's (de-powered Arrow I shells converted into trailers) generally are only seen on the Hoboken Division, but every now and then you see one on the Newark side.

ahhhh ok thanks,sorry for the confusion,you do have to give me that they do look very similar minus the panto.:D:(

Archived