Bombardier & NYCT

m2fwannabe

This might be a better place to discuss BBD's mixed fortunes through the years.

According to my IRT assignment lists from that time, the R-142 number series on 2 and 5 were jumbled from early 2001 through October 2002.

The cars then carried nine levels of modification that bore no relation to the road number, and were grouped from most to least post-modified (oldest on 2, newest of 5).  The batch for 4 carried an even higher level of modification and came in last, all together.

The big dif between the R-142 and R-179 was all cars were done as 5-car links, so no sensitivity to service needs, very much UNLIKE the R-179, which has to be relegated in part only to 8-car routes.  You all know which ones those have been.

Racing modified deliveries around in the the production sequence impacts where they can be used.  In contrast to the R-142 where it didn't matter.

No urge to replace aging Redbirds this time, either.  Fleet expansion has a higher priority.

14 hours ago, Deucey said:

I'm sure it's said "Bom-bar-dee-yea", since it's French (Canadian).

It’s more authentically a three-syllable pronunciation with a nasalized “o”:

[bɔ̃.baʁ.dje]

Approximated with American spelling sensibilities, it would be:

bong-bar-d’yeah

Sometimes I wish the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) were a mandatory part of elementary school education (the best time to teach it). The use of English phonics as a crutch really hampers foreign language learning.

In 1984, the TWU president was most definitely on WCBS radio playing it up in a derisive manner as BOMB-ba -deer.  He was then making fun of the company, of course.

Some folks have never stopped doing so. 

Bombardier as a company first came to my attention in 1977 through their production of the MR-73 cars for Montreal Metro.  Amazing ascendancy from ski mobiles...

The true French pronunciation was never in doubt, believe me! 

Archived