R160 Announcements

Brighton Local

The Pre-Recorded R160A/B announcements; are they permanent? Basically, what Im questioning is, would they have to be updated all over again if another major service change were to take place? For example, when Manhattan Bound (N) Trains run over the West End from Stillwell to 36 St, the announcement is usually heard like the following: "This is a Manhattan Bound (N) Train, Via the (D) Line, the next stop is 9 Av". Now, what if (MTA) decides once again to re-name the West End the (:( or (W), for a service change purpose, would they have to re-record everything thats been done already; so the announcement would be heard: "This is a Manhattan Bound (N) Train, Via the (:D Line, the next stop is 25 Av...

Zachary

The Pre-Recorded R160A/B announcements; are they permanent? Basically, what Im questioning is, would they have to be updated all over again if another major service change were to take place? For example, when Manhattan Bound (N) Trains run over the West End from Stillwell to 36 St, the announcement is usually heard like the following: "This is a Manhattan Bound (N) Train, Via the (D) Line, the next stop is 9 Av". Now, what if (MTA) decides once again to re-name the West End the (:( or (W), for a service change purpose, would they have to re-record everything thats been done already; so the announcement would be heard: "This is a Manhattan Bound (N) Train, Via the (:D Line, the next stop is 25 Av...

Zachary

It seems to me that each section of speech is a separate sound byte, so they would probably only record that specific section. But I don't know anything, so take this with a grain of salt.

From what I understand...they may have to record a new announcement. I read somewhere that it's actual human beings reading scripts...unless they have those people reading individual words. But this is for the R142 set, so it may be different from the R160.

I'm sure it's humans. The "via the (D) line" sounds like Dianne, from the (A) line announcements & the "This is a Coney Island-bound (Q) train" part of the (Q) announcements. So I'm sure it can be done again. But really, they should have made it "via the West End line." Works quite well on the (2)/(5) switcharoos.

I'm sure it's humans. The "via the (D) line" sounds like Dianne, from the (A) line announcements & the "This is a Coney Island-bound (Q) train" part of the (Q) announcements. So I'm sure it can be done again But really, they should have made it "via the West End line." Works quite well on the (2)/(5) switcharoos.

The (N) & (Q) announcements were definitely changed in the last year. Originally, (N)'s were announced as "This is a Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue-bound N train." Which was shortened to just 'Coney-Island-bound'. The new voice for that part sounds like a different person from the rest of "the next stop is" and station announcements.

I don't know if "via the West End Line" would have been any good. Unfortunately, most people along the Southern BMT Lines don't know those terms. I think more people know "via the Lexington Avenue Line", but even that probably confuses people today. "Via the (4) & (5) line" would be more precise for the current terminology. They're also inconsistent since the displays read "via West End" while the announcements say "via the (D) line".

The (N) & (Q) announcements were definitely changed in the last year. Originally, (N)'s were announced as "This is a Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue-bound N train." Which was shortened to just 'Coney-Island-bound'. The new voice for that part sounds like a different person from the rest of "the next stop is" and station announcements.

I don't know if "via the West End Line" would have been any good. Unfortunately, most people along the Southern BMT Lines don't know those terms. I think more people know "via the Lexington Avenue Line", but even that probably confuses people today. "Via the (4) & (5) line" would be more precise for the current terminology. They're also inconsistent since the displays read "via West End" while the announcements say "via the (D) line".

I was thinking this while I was posting. So would it be the best to just change the announcement if there's a major service change (for the good of the normal rider)?

From what I understand...they may have to record a new announcement. I read somewhere that it's actual human beings reading scripts...unless they have those people reading individual words. But this is for the R142 set, so it may be different from the R160.

Well I'm sure you already know this but:

Jessica Ettinger voice is on the (4)(5)(6)(N)(Q)(W)

Dianne Thompson voice on the (2)(N)

Charlie Pellett "Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please"

They are from Bloomberg radio and their voices were recorded b4 his election

Well the (N) annoucements got changed sometime this year around b/w March and May. Jessica Ettinger made the entire annoucements "This is a Manhattan bound, Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd bound (N) train. Yes you are right they got they got shorten. Dianne Thompson which became the new voice for This is a Man-hattan bound (N) train. IMO I like the "Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd bound (N) train"....most of the time the C/R's would just shorten the announcement for those part

The Pre-Recorded R160A/B announcements; are they permanent? Basically, what Im questioning is, would they have to be updated all over again if another major service change were to take place? For example, when Manhattan Bound (N) Trains run over the West End from Stillwell to 36 St, the announcement is usually heard like the following: "This is a Manhattan Bound (N) Train, Via the (D) Line, the next stop is 9 Av". Now, what if (MTA) decides once again to re-name the West End the (:rolleyes: or (W), for a service change purpose, would they have to re-record everything thats been done already; so the announcement would be heard: "This is a Manhattan Bound (N) Train, Via the (:D Line, the next stop is 25 Av...

Zachary

Hypothetical if the (B) or (W) went back to its old route...I'm sure it would say same thing as it did for the (D)...."This is a Manhattan bound (N) via the (B) or (W) line TheNextStopIs Bay Parkway. The only time you'll see "via West End" on the F.I.N.D and the exterior sign. I'm sure in the next upcoming years they will probably reprogram the R-142's and R-160's again, but we will see

Apparently they can be programmed to make announcements for almost anywhere they could possibly be rerouted to (even a (D) to Far Rockaway). If there was a major change for any long period of time (such as the last two Manhattan Bridge closings), I would assume new announcements would be recorded to reflect those changes, much like new maps are printed. The (W) was the West End for a few years, not a (W) via the (:rolleyes: Line. The (:D was nothing more than a local (D) to 145th St or Bedford Pk during that time.

Apparently they can be programmed to make announcements for almost anywhere they could possibly be rerouted to (even a (D) to Far Rockaway). If there was a major change for any long period of time (such as the last two Manhattan Bridge closings), I would assume new announcements would be recorded to reflect those changes, much like new maps are printed. The (W) was the West End for a few years, not a (W) via the (:rolleyes: Line. The (:D was nothing more than a local (D) to 145th St or Bedford Pk during that time.

I believe you're right. I was on a R160B (W) train not too long ago that was running to 95th Street Bay Ridge because of a delay on the (R) train. It had all the stops to 95th Street on the FIND. Unfortunately I was only on it for one stop so I have no idea what the announcements would have been once it passed Whitehall Street

Archived