LIRR Block Operator Trainee Open House 25 Jan 19

dewclaw

26 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

Ruh roh hope they dont give us more on 2/13

Oh it’s definitely happening. I was just in the car telling my girlfriend I hope we don’t get more but the reality is we’re goig to be given about 45 more definitions at least, and 20+ signals. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, dewclaw said:

Oh it’s definitely happening. I was just in the car telling my girlfriend I hope we don’t get more but the reality is we’re goig to be given about 45 more definitions at least, and 20+ signals. 

Lmao how unfortunate. Conductors recieved everything at the overview and nothing before hand so im curious as to why we recieved anything before hand. 

6 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

Lmao how unfortunate. Conductors recieved everything at the overview and nothing before hand so im curious as to why we recieved anything before hand. 

There isn’t much good or reliable information regarding the block operator job so in a sense we’re kind of pioneering it for future candidates right now. Best thing we can do is give tips for studying and stick to the program. There’s likely going to be a lot of attrition at this test, so we’re not really competing against eachother as much as we would in a traditional sense. 

@dewclaw
By the way, I'm not sure if the program will work in Mac computers. You may have to use a virtual machine to run it if that's the case.

Physical flash cards seem like a good way to memorize the signals.
I memorized all the names and indications as if they were definitions so I could then pair them to each signal.

1 hour ago, sevvey6 said:

Are we definitely going to be tested on the initial definitions and signals during the overview, or is everything just going to add up and be tested all at once during the test on March 6th? 

We won't be tested at the overview. They'll give us the rest of the material to study and the written test will be on March 6th.

Flash cards is your best option what works a lot is reciting it out loud then after you gotten it right write it down I usually like to do the voice recorder after you recited it with no mistakes.. spelling and punctuation doesn’t matter...you be suprised everyone can write it down but when it comes down to the verbal when getting asked to recite a definition in class people have a hard time remembering.

So for signals from rules 298A,C,D,E,F : He said that on the exam it will be marked as a Reduced Aspect Signal right? And that we should indicate on the flashcards that it is a Reduced Aspect signal? Just double checking before I begin writing up the signal flash cards.

9 minutes ago, dewclaw said:

So for signals from rules 298A,C,D,E,F : He said that on the exam it will be marked as a Reduced Aspect Signal right? And that we should indicate on the flashcards that it is a Reduced Aspect signal? Just double checking before I begin writing up the signal flash cards.

Correct

9 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

What did the total s&d end up being? 

The test will be 50 questions, with 75% being the minimum passing score. 35 Definitions and 15 Signals. With the full definition pool and what appears to be about half ( ~40-60) signals. I haven't counted the signals yet as I'm still writing the flash cards for definitions. 

3 hours ago, TCKAS71P said:

66/75 defintions and 30/48 signals (don't remember the total number, I think it's 48).

Yourself?

Definitions are definitely more difficult for me than signals. But not too bad, I'd be surprised if I scored less than 100 on the exam. Sounds like you've been putting in a lot of work too. 

30 minutes ago, TCKAS71P said:

That's good to hear.
I'm trying to finish everything by tomorrow and leave the remaining 2 weeks for review.
Hopefully we both do well enough to be in the June class.

Yeah dude, I'd actually do anything to make it into the June or October class. I can't imagine too many people scoring 100's / high 90's. Same, I'm hoping to finish all today and just be reviewing non-stop as well. 

I'm assuming that all the high scoring candidates will be moved to the un-paid training/Basic Skills? It's only 6 days after the test date so I can't imagine them having a real complicated selection process behind it other than the high scorers. 

21 minutes ago, dewclaw said:

Yeah dude, I'd actually do anything to make it into the June or October class. I can't imagine too many people scoring 100's / high 90's. Same, I'm hoping to finish all today and just be reviewing non-stop as well. 

I'm assuming that all the high scoring candidates will be moved to the un-paid training/Basic Skills? It's only 6 days after the test date so I can't imagine them having a real complicated selection process behind it other than the high scorers. 

Everybody who passes S&D will be in the basic skills class...after the class is over hr will start background check and medical

3 hours ago, wstone17 said:

Everybody who passes S&D will be in the basic skills class...after the class is over hr will start background check and medical

Nice.. What did the interview & medical really consist of? I see in your profile it looks like you got hired on as a block op a year ago, how do you like the job? Also, what does job security look like as the LIRR moves towards centralized train control? Are they planning on eliminating towers and then laying off redundant block operators in the future?