Utica Avenue Transit Improvement Study Discussion

Union Tpke

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/27/2023 at 11:15 PM, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Ye, I tend to agree Utica Av subway should either be a branch of IRT Eastern Parkway if the MTA wants to do cheap, or just a whole new B-division line that could have provisions to continue into Williamsburg and then Manhattan. Trying to connect to Fulton St or Broadway (Brooklyn) for revenue service might create too many problems, though there would obv need to be some sort of connection to the rest of the system for transporting trains and stuff.

Yeah, looking back on what I wrote, I think a (4) extension is probably the best for extending an existing line to Utica. You’d be able to provide more frequent service that way, even it is with smaller trains. 

On 4/27/2023 at 10:07 PM, TDL said:

I wouldn’t have a Fulton Line branch to Utica under this proposal, as you Already have three branches of service in Fulton-Far Rockaway, Lefferts, and local. With the addition of one more service, now you have three service, one for each branch. None would have to split. You’d inherit the same problem if one service went to Utica. 

Perhaps the Utica line could use the existing shell and terminate there or at Myrtle Ave (J)(M)(Z)

This is true. Even with an extended (W) replacing the (C), if the (C) is in turn extended to Utica, you still have the issues with a bifurcated (A). While I don’t think this is necessarily a dealbreaker for a (C) extension, it still won’t be able to run as frequently as a (4) extension from Eastern Pkwy. But I don’t think a Utica line should be a one-borough glorified shuttle that terminates at Fulton St or Myrtle Ave.

On 5/2/2023 at 11:22 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Yeah, looking back on what I wrote, I think a (4) extension is probably the best for extending an existing line to Utica. You’d be able to provide more frequent service that way, even it is with smaller trains. 

This is true. Even with an extended (W) replacing the (C), if the (C) is in turn extended to Utica, you still have the issues with a bifurcated (A). While I don’t think this is necessarily a dealbreaker for a (C) extension, it still won’t be able to run as frequently as a (4) extension from Eastern Pkwy. But I don’t think a Utica line should be a one-borough glorified shuttle that terminates at Fulton St or Myrtle Ave.

But it should also be built to B Division widths as to avoid locking the branch to the A Division forever.

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

But it should also be built to B Division widths as to avoid locking the branch to the A Division forever.

The additional cost to make the tunnels/elevated structure be able to handle B-division trains would be marginal in the grand scope of things, and platforms could just be "shaved" if the line were ever converted. Honestly, this would be the best solution imo cause having a B-divison Utica Av Shuttle service would just be weird, but I also don't like the idea of adding a permanent branch onto Eastern Parkway. Perhaps it could be built with the idea that eventually, it could become the "South 4th St - Utica Av" subway. Sadly, for bureaucratic reasons, I doubt the MTA in it's current state will consider this idea and instead "research" some stupid non-starters. Reminder these were the alternatives the MTA researched for SAS:

image.png

image.png

Edited by ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, Nitro said:

Since the Utica Avenue Subway has proven to be infeasible. The only realistic approach is to extend the (4) to Broadway Junction if you don't believe me look up this article.

What article? It’s a Reddit thread, same as any other chain of posts here on NYC Transit Forums.

13 minutes ago, CenSin said:

What article? It’s a Reddit thread, same as any other chain of posts here on NYC Transit Forums.

:D . In case you haven’t noticed we have a new jack poster on the forums now. Seems to be all over the place but I can’t tell if he’s clueless or trolling everyone. Utica extension is unfeasible because of water, lakes, etc. ? Meanwhile travel farther east from Kings Plaza along the Belt Parkway and lo and behold there’s a housing development at Rockaway Parkway and Starrett City at Pennsylvania Avenue all equidistant from the same waterline. Maybe I missed the stories about these places sinking into the ground ? Just asking. Carry on.