Abolishment of Half-Price Student MetroCards; students will be able to use free ones

Union Tpke

On 5/24/2019 at 4:19 PM, WestFarms36 said:

another thing that complicates the use is if a student looses their Student MetroCard, the school secretaries which are responsible to distribute them, are just nasty and anal about giving a new one to the students, and I wish the distribution would be handled directly by the (MTA) for more accessibility, and simplicity. Other agencies mail student passes to their home, as opposed to NY, where you have no choice, but to beat the fare on the first few days of school because you receive your Student MetroCard once you're in school on the first few days.

Private schools blindly distribute 3 trips to all students regardless of distance. IME if you loose your green card at the private school, they will punish you with the half fare one until AFC cancels your original green card. Some young or short looking teachers also got away with using green cards as a job perk. Yes the cards are issued 1st or 2nd day of school, but how did you get to school to pick one up? You still have to carry gold, or just jump since your local station airside is a weed and heroin and drinking no brown bag trap.

I currently take my daughter to school on the MTA bus since her assigned school bus

1) doesn't stop anywhere near our apartment and 

2) doesn't drop her off in time for breakfast.

She small enough now to get on free, and I still take her in. But this will be nice as she gets older, as the school is just over 1/2 mile away.

5 hours ago, bulk88 said:

Private schools blindly distribute 3 trips to all students regardless of distance. IME if you loose your green card at the private school, they will punish you with the half fare one until AFC cancels your original green card. Some young or short looking teachers also got away with using green cards as a job perk. Yes the cards are issued 1st or 2nd day of school, but how did you get to school to pick one up? You still have to carry gold, or just jump since your local station airside is a weed and heroin and drinking no brown bag trap.

Usually some students tell the token booth clerk, or get waived by a bus operator.

Getting between my high school (East Elmherst) and home (Ridgewood) was not the most straight forward trip due to Queens being Queens. I would often have to skip the bus and walk the 6 long blocks (roughly 4/5th of a mile up hill) to the subway, because I only ever had the 3 trip card.

it didn’t help that the bus between School and the train was the Q47 before it was merged with the Q45 (actually, most of my time there was still Triboro Coach, MTA bus only took over the February of my senior year), and it had the longest headway’s imaginable.

(IDEAL route Q58<->R/V*<->Q47)

*again, this was the mid 2000s

if I had a four trip card it would have helped out a lot more, but I wasn’t considered far enough for it.

29 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

if I had a four trip card it would have helped out a lot more, but I wasn’t considered far enough for it.

Such a thing exists? I always thought it was half-fare (bus) or three-trip (full fare)

On 5/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, bulk88 said:

...and that is also one of the reasons why I feel that the (MTA) should directly distribute Student Passes when OMNY is fully rolled out, it would best enforce this, and create a much more streamlined and easier process for Students to get them on time...

Archived