ROCKAWAY BEACH BRANCH STUDY IS OUT

Union Tpke

8 minutes ago, CenSin said:

How would do you do that for Hillside Avenue? At 185 Street—the current end of the tunnel—the road is not wide enough to get a pair of tracks out from underground without taking some property to from either side of the road. There are both homes and businesses on either side of the road.

Going by the satellite view, 202 Street seem to be the nearest opportunity to do so since there is just a parking lot spanning three street blocks on the north side of the road from 202 Street to Francis Lewis Boulevard. With that length of tunnel, There’d be one or two intervening underground stations at 188 Street and possibly 197 Street. And there’d definitely be a station at Francis Lewis Boulevard just east of the tunnel portal (just like Ditmas Avenue). The question is, are there any regulations that might force the right-of-way to be much wider than the trains require? That might make it very expensive to transition the tunnel to an elevated structure. Obviously, the architects could get clever—stacking the lines to minimize width—but I think that will just complicate things (read: more cost, more opposition).

I am not proposing an elevated Hillside Avenue extension all the way to Springfield Blvd. My plan is for tunneling from 185th Street Springfield Blvd, with all planned stations (188th Street, 197th Street, Francis Lewis Blvd, 212th-214th Street, and Springfield Blvd all underground.

Where I want to see new elevated structures along Utica Avenue, which would be an elevated line from Farragut Road to the end of the line at Kings Plaza. The new modern structure would be on the west side of Utica and over Flatbush, to keep some of the costs down.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

Here’s my idea. 

Rebuilt the branch. Then remade the Shuttle the (H) and extend it to WTC via Queens Blvd Local 8th Avenue Local. The (M) would be move over to 63rd street tunnel and then add new switches at 50th street and 42 street the (C) would become Express. The (H) would run to Rockway Park allowing all Rockway (A) to be diverted to Far Rockway        
 3 locals sound overkill at first but both the (M)(R) run under capacity causing crowding so this leaves plenty of space for the (H) . The (H) announcements should be Kathleen Campion Feedback please.      

On 10/17/2019 at 11:12 AM, Harlem Crosstown said:

QBL needs to be de-interlined and (R)(W) service should go to Astoria. As part of a removal of reverse-branching I would run (E)(K) service express via 53 and (F)(M) local via 63. (M) service would run to the Rockaways and (F) to Northern Queens via Jewel/73rd Ave. As an alternative an (H) service could run to the Rockaways from Jackson Heights, allowing (M) service to Jamaica-179th.

To be honest H is a better option to use

On 2/19/2022 at 4:53 PM, Amiri the subway guy said:

Here’s my idea. 

Rebuilt the branch. Then remade the Shuttle the (H) and extend it to WTC via Queens Blvd Local 8th Avenue Local. The (M) would be move over to 63rd street tunnel and then add new switches at 50th street and 42 street the (C) would become Express. The (H) would run to Rockway Park allowing all Rockway (A) to be diverted to Far Rockway        
 3 locals sound overkill at first but both the (M)(R) run under capacity causing crowding so this leaves plenty of space for the (H) . The (H) announcements should be Kathleen Campion Feedback please.      

Three QBL locals is overkill. You wouldn’t be able to run any of them very frequently and you’d likely have to cut one of them if express trains need to be rerouted onto the local tracks or locals onto the express. I think if you’re going to do an (H) via Rockaways and QBL, it should be as part of a de-interlined QBL - (E)(H) local, (F)(M) express and no (R) or other direct Broadway service. If not, then extend the (R) to Rockaway Park via the branch and terminate it at Whitehall St, so it’s not too long of route.