Second Avenue Elevated/Subway?

LTA1992

Would you Rather...  

1. 1. Would you Rather...

• Build the SAS as all Subway?
    • Build the SAS as all Elevated?
    • Build the SAS as El/Subway Combo?

Would you rather The SAS be a full subway or partial El/Subway of Full Elevated?.

I would like a El/Subway combo. From Hanover Square to 102nd Street as subway. Portal to El from 102nd to 105th Street. Elevated to 125. That way, If they extend the (Q) To the West Side and the (T) Branching off at Marcus Garvy Blvd to go to the Bronx, they can just build what they did on the (2)/(3) lines and just turn.

lets be real here...with NIMBYs (not in my back yard) and BANAs (build absolutely nothing anywhere), the days of building new els are done, they will fight tooth and nail to stop it. Only way SAS gets done, and this includes in the Boogie Down if its ever extended up there, is if its 100% subway

lets be real here...with NIMBYs (not in my back yard) and BANAs (build absolutely nothing anywhere), the days of building new els are done, they will fight tooth and nail to stop it. Only way SAS gets done, and this includes in the Boogie Down if its ever extended up there, is if its 100% subway

Let's say if...

So IF, there were no NIMBYs or BANAs...

I would say subway in Manhattan, and perhaps a few el connections (for example, the line to Co-op City). These would be on existing ROWs. If a Third Avenue line is to be built in the Bronx, tying in with the SAS, I would recommend a subway.

Let's say if...

So IF, there were no NIMBYs or BANAs...

I would say subway in Manhattan, and perhaps a few el connections (for example, the line to Co-op City). These would be on existing ROWs. If a Third Avenue line is to be built in the Bronx, tying in with the SAS, I would recommend a subway.

If it was up to me (and I know it's not), I'd have the old platform at Gun Hill Rd rebuilt to B Div standards and lengthened 100 feet, then the SAS would be underground, run up 3rd avenue in the Bronx and terminate at Gun Hill Rd making the following stops:

138/3rd

149/3rd

E. 156/3rd

E. 163/3rd

E. 169/3rd

Claremont Pkwy/3rd

E. Tremont /3rd

E. 180/3rd

E. Fordham Rd/Webster Ave

Botanical Gardens (E.200 area)/Webster

E. 204/Webster

Gun Hill Rd.

Tunnel would cut under Bronx Park after 204 then turn under Pugsley Rd and pop out right at Gun Hill...

They'd have to dig deep to get under MNCR

/dreaming

If it was up to me (and I know it's not), I'd have the old platform at Gun Hill Rd rebuilt to B Div standards and lengthened 100 feet, then the SAS would be underground, run up 3rd avenue in the Bronx and terminate at Gun Hill Rd making the following stops:

138/3rd

149/3rd

E. 156/3rd

E. 163/3rd

E. 169/3rd

Claremont Pkwy/3rd

E. Tremont /3rd

E. 180/3rd

E. Fordham Rd/Webster Ave

Botanical Gardens (E.200 area)/Webster

E. 204/Webster

Gun Hill Rd.

Tunnel would cut under Bronx Park after 204 then turn under Pugsley Rd and pop out right at Gun Hill...

They'd have to dig deep to get under MNCR

/dreaming

If you have to dig deep under the MNR and rise up to an el after that, the line must negotiate some steep grades. I would suggest, emerging as an el after Fordham Rd (build Fordham Rd thru cut and cover, about 40 ft below ground), cutting through Bronx Park before entering the el structure.

If you have to dig deep under the MNR and rise up to an el after that, the line must negotiate some steep grades. I would suggest, emerging as an el after Fordham Rd (build Fordham Rd thru cut and cover, about 40 ft below ground), cutting through Bronx Park before entering the el structure.

I think they could do it at a 3% grade, but the train would have to be climbing as it turns under Pugsley, basically start climbing as soon as it clears MNCR. Of course, that would make things very interesting for the S/B track (descending into the tunnel)...timer city over there, but I think it could be done safely

I think they could do it at a 3% grade, but the train would have to be climbing as it turns under Pugsley, basically start climbing as soon as it clears MNCR. Of course, that would make things very interesting for the S/B track (descending into the tunnel)...timer city over there, but I think it could be done safely

Yea, but, not all T/Os like Timer Cities, eh?

As for other lines in the Bronx, I think the SAS running along the Amtrak corridor would be very beneficial to the communities. However, Metro North might use it as well to get into Penn Station.

Yea, but, not all T/Os like Timer Cities, eh?

As for other lines in the Bronx, I think the SAS running along the Amtrak corridor would be very beneficial to the communities. However, Metro North might use it as well to get into Penn Station.

Heh...just make Timer City two shot timers, no one shot deals B)

of course none of this is going to happen, if at all, for a very long time, so maybe they won't need timers because by the time these things get built the whole system may already be ATO...

Heh...just make Timer City two shot timers, no one shot deals B)

of course none of this is going to happen, if at all, for a very long time, so maybe they won't need timers because by the time these things get built the whole system may already be ATO...

Hope there are no glitches with the system, by then.

Heh...just make Timer City two shot timers, no one shot deals -_-

Well today I saw an MTA ad saying that the SAS will be finished in 2015 so I doubt that the system with be ATO by then. Look at the L line.

NIMBY's (especially in the Upper East Side) will never approve of an El (though an El would be much cheaper than a subway). Maybe a light rail is a viable solution.

I don't think it should be lightrail because then it would be incompatible with the subway and would have less capacity.

Well today I saw an MTA ad saying that the SAS will be finished in 2015 so I doubt that the system with be ATO by then. Look at the L line.

That's only Phase I...that extends the Q from 57/7th to 96th/2nd. And a good deal of that is already built! (ie the tunnels under the park that connect to the other side of 63/lex)

Archived