Officials urge MTA to take over SIM23/24 routes amid NJ Academy Bus scandal.

Lawrence St

NYCEDC had better plan on coughing up that subsidy to the MTA for the SIM23 and SIM24. That has been the holdup all along. They are not going to take the SIM23 and SIM24's subsidy to go play "toot toot" with their toy boats in Coney Island without a fight.

5 hours ago, JAzumah said:

NYCEDC had better plan on coughing up that subsidy to the MTA for the SIM23 and SIM24. That has been the holdup all along. They are not going to take the SIM23 and SIM24's subsidy to go play "toot toot" with their toy boats in Coney Island without a fight.

Just like NJT is mad at Academy for not running buses on time and is moving buses around/canceling contracts, it's a similar situation with NYCEDC. They want someone "more reliable" to operate the SIM23/24. At this point it's getting easier for the MTA to absorb the 2 routes but I doubt it's all gonna happen by the end of September.

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

They want someone "more reliable" to operate the SIM23/24. At this point it's getting easier for the MTA to absorb the 2 routes but I doubt it's all gonna happen by the end of September.

The city wants to steal the money and use it for something else.

Each route will need 5-6 buses. Yes, the MTA can come up with 12 buses and they will do so if they get paid.

AM Monday-Thursday schedule: 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00
PM Monday-Thursday schedule: 3:10, 4:10, 4:40, 5:10, 5:40, 6:10, 6:40
AM Friday schedule: 5:00, 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 8:00

PM Friday schedule: 3:10, 4:10, 4:40, 5:10, 5:40, 6:10

Don't touch the route or stops for now. Start with a limited frequency and build the service back up.

Chances are good that the MTA might ask to be able to start the route in January 2022. That would require an interim Academy contract for October/November/December 2021 and the likelihood of that is a coin flip. NYCEDC would do it if the MTA pressed for it.

17 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why not just give the routes to DeCamp or Private Transportation? (MTA) clearly has no interest in running the lines.

I would argue that an option on the newest coach bus order specifically for the takeover of these routes should be considered interest enough. This "disagreement" between the MTA and EDC, as I understand it, is mostly about the fine print in the changeover process than anything else.

32 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I would argue that an option on the newest coach bus order specifically for the takeover of these routes should be considered interest enough. This "disagreement" between the MTA and EDC, as I understand it, is mostly about the fine print in the changeover process than anything else.

MONEY

• 2 weeks later...

Why this ended up on DownDetector, I do not know:

@JoeBorelliNYC Update on the SIM 23 & SIM 24 - Academy Bus and NYC EDC are likely to sign a 3 month extension until December 7th to allow time for a ramping down of the service and for negotiations between NYC EDC and the MTA to be finalized about the future of the route. 1/2

That was 8/31/2021.