Looking for input from Access-A-Ride drivers from MV Transportion

EVA-01

Hello all, new member here. I currently possess a CDL Class B and am interested in this position with this company. I have a few questions; does the company offer training for the Passenger and School bus endorsements required? Do I need a DOT medical card? Do they follow DOT regulations (8 hour rule) if I drive for another company currently and want to work for both?

I understand that the drivers are represented by ATU Local 1181. Do they fight for you? I know the drivers voted for a new contract last year, what’s the pay structure like? Ex: Starting pay and is there a waiting period for top pay?

Last but certainly not least, the schedule. Since it’s a union job, do drivers use seniority to make their schedule like school bus drivers or does the company work with the drivers for a set schedule? Is overtime mandatory?

Thank you, I look forward to your responses.

11 hours ago, EVA-01 said:

Hello all, new member here. I currently possess a CDL Class B and am interested in this position with this company. I have a few questions; does the company offer training for the Passenger and School bus endorsements required? Do I need a DOT medical card? Do they follow DOT regulations (8 hour rule) if I drive for another company currently and want to work for both?

Last but certainly not least, the schedule. Since it’s a union job, do drivers use seniority to make their schedule like school bus drivers or does the company work with the drivers for a set schedule? Is overtime mandatory?

Thank you, I look forward to your responses.

I used to work for Access-A-Ride for another carrier, therefore I can answer a few of your questions, but not all of them.

According to their latest job posting, which can be viewed by clicking here, it seems that they do NOT offer training specifically for the Passenger and School Bus Endorsements. The reason why I say that is because, back in the day, you used to be able to go to your local DMV, take the multiple-choice examinations for General Knowledge and Passenger Endorsement, walk out with a Class "C" Commercial Drivers License, and you would be good to go. Now, since you have to take a road test to obtain the minimum class license, which is what this website says, even if you were to take one of their "buses" to the road test, all that would do is give you a "N2" restriction on your license without the School Bus "S" endorsement, in which, according to the second page of this webpage, you would not be able to drive any passenger vehicle which can hold eight or more people.

As far as a DOT medical card, when they initially hire you, they will send you for a DOT physical at the company's expense, so you don't need one. As far as following DOT regulations for working for two companies - I would talk to the hiring manager, or your classroom instructor privately and see what they have to say.

When it comes to the schedule, more or less, the company works with the drivers for a set schedule. Just like anywhere else, once you gain seniority, then the schedule should get better.

-Young

Edited by +Young+
Clarification

10 hours ago, +Young+ said:

I used to work for Access-A-Ride for another carrier, therefore I can answer a few of your questions, but not all of them.

According to their latest job posting, which can be viewed by clicking here, it seems that they do NOT offer training specifically for the Passenger and School Bus Endorsements. The reason why I say that is because, back in the day, you used to be able to go to your local DMV, take the multiple-choice examinations for General Knowledge and Passenger Endorsement, walk out with a Class "C" Commercial Drivers License, and you would be good to go. Now, since you have to take a road test to obtain the minimum class license, which is what this website says, even if you were to take one of their "buses" to the road test, all that would do is give you a "N2" restriction on your license without the School Bus "S" endorsement, in which, according to the second page of this webpage, you would not be able to drive any passenger vehicle which can hold eight or more people.

As far as a DOT medical card, when they initially hire you, they will send you for a DOT physical at the company's expense, so you don't need one. As far as following DOT regulations for working for two companies - I would talk to the hiring manager, or your classroom instructor privately and see what they have to say.

When it comes to the schedule, more or less, the company works with the drivers for a set schedule. Just like anywhere else, once you gain seniority, then the schedule should get better.

-Young

Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it. I don’t have the air break restriction but I unfortunately would have to get the passenger and school bus endorsements on my license for most driving jobs. If there is a company that trains to get them, that would be sweet! If being a Paratransit driver doesn’t work, are you aware of other opportunities that I could put my license to use?

2 hours ago, EVA-01 said:

If there is a company that trains to get them, that would be sweet! If being a Paratransit driver doesn’t work, are you aware of other opportunities that I could put my license to use?

There are other companies, I'm going to ask you to refer to the "Seeking Experience" thread/topic. Depending on where you specifically live, you should find a company that is willing to train you for your Passenger & School Bus Endorsements.

Good luck!!

15 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

There are other companies, I'm going to ask you to refer to the "Seeking Experience" thread/topic. Depending on where you specifically live, you should find a company that is willing to train you for your Passenger & School Bus Endorsements.

Good luck!!

Logan will train and offer a signing bonus. 

16 hours ago, EVA-01 said:

Thank you for the heads up but that is a heck of a trek for me. I live in Staten Island.

I live in Staten Island as well and worked for Mvp on Richmond Rd for three years before I received the call from mta. Any questions let me know and I'll be more than happy to guide you 

23 hours ago, -Galan- said:

I live in Staten Island as well and worked for Mvp on Richmond Rd for three years before I received the call from mta. Any questions let me know and I'll be more than happy to guide you 

Thank you. I’ll send you a dm.

On 10/9/2021 at 8:37 AM, -Galan- said:

It says I can’t send direct messages so I’ll just ask here. For the most part I work the graveyard shift in my job but my schedule is sometimes open to change. Is MV flexible with the schedule?

I would want to work both jobs but do they allow it? I was thinking of working an afternoon shift (2pm -10 pm preferably) and then go to work the graveyard shift in my current job now. I spoke with someone before who worked there and they said guys work double shifts sometimes so that kinda tells they don’t care about DOT rules all that much.

21 hours ago, EVA-01 said:

It says I can’t send direct messages so I’ll just ask here. For the most part I work the graveyard shift in my job but my schedule is sometimes open to change. Is MV flexible with the schedule?

I would want to work both jobs but do they allow it? I was thinking of working an afternoon shift (2pm -10 pm preferably) and then go to work the graveyard shift in my current job now. I spoke with someone before who worked there and they said guys work double shifts sometimes so that kinda tells they don’t care about DOT rules all that much.

MVP will not allow you to work anything other than their job as per DOT standards. If you ask the wrong managerial person they will tell you just do not tell the "upper" management. My suggestion do the para transit,ask to work 4 ten hour days and sign up for OT on two of your off days which will give you a minimum of 16hrs of OT. Mvp is dying for operators and will accommodate you regardless of seniority,at least from my experience. Lots of luck.