An IND/BMT To Staten Island or the oppsite around

mark1447

Would You like an NYCTA line to run in Staten Island, NY?  

1. 1. Would You like an NYCTA line to run in Staten Island, NY?

• Yes That I would love! :D
    • Yes but rather have the SIRT connects to an IND/BMT Line :)
    • No its impossible to transition from the FRA standardard signaling to NYCTA standards
    • In the next 25-45 years yes, as the MTA is being cheap and spending its capital
    • All of MTA suck, I like other TAs, like NJ Transit or PATH :rolleyes:

Whitehall is too far downtown. I wouldn't feel comfortable with any SI line that didn't at least terminate in midtown. Remember, SIslanders will be using this to commute to work, of which most will be there. If you want a longer line that goes to Queens, then I have no objection, but I can understand how some balk at the length.

Whitehall is too little, though.

Okay everyone, fantasy maps out ... 4th Ave Exp, connect to 2nd Ave Line from bridge. Terminate 72nd St center track rush hrs, Seaport other times, late nights to Pacific. ;)

as a mater a fact how about the (T) going to SI, while (Q) goes to bronx =P

What exactly is it? A tunnel extension? A bellmouth? Is there a picture or diagram of what's described?

Am i the only one who knows about the bellmouths just south of Whitehall st? they point directly to gouvernors island. from there the tunnel can run under the harbor along the brooklyn coast to SI.

Am i the only one who knows about the bellmouths just south of Whitehall st? they point directly to gouvernors island. from there the tunnel can run under the harbor along the brooklyn coast to SI.

Do you have pictures, or maybe some old diagram?

actually, better than i diagram, anyone can see it. board a Brooklyn bound (R) and look out the right side of the train, or out theRFW if the consist has one after departing Whitehall street. 2 bellmouths go out about ten ft aprox. If used the set up is for the 2 lines to cross each other at grade like the (2) and (3) between 135th and 145th st stations. im sure you ask any T/O who operates on the (R) or during late nights the (N). and no its not a rumor like the 76th street station on Pitkin. lol the bellmouths are there. and they point right towards gouvenors island

Again, the easiest & most practical solution is rebuild the north shore line and run it across the existing rail bridge into NJ. People can then transfer to PATH or NJ transit. I don't suppose anyone has thought about the complexities of building a cross harbor tunnel with the # of ships that use the area plus where to put ventilation etc. It wouldn't be some shallow tunnel like under the east river, it would be a very serious engineering task in that deep of a crossing.

- A

A (W) extended from lower Manhattan would be a lot more convenient for those who have a daily commute SI <--> Manhattan, instead of going to Brooklyn and then to Staten Island.

A (W) train to Staten Island as well as the (R) would be great, but there are major drawbacks.

1. The SIRT Stations can fit only four 75 foot cars, in some instances less than that, and even only one train car can fit on one station (Atlantic)

2. How will the connection be made between the SIRT and the subway lines? I don't think the bridge will help, must make a large tunnel, and that's costly.

I like your idea, though.

A (W) train to Staten Island as well as the (R) would be great, but there are major drawbacks.

1. The SIRT Stations can fit only four 75 foot cars, in some instances less than that, and even only one train car can fit on one station (Atlantic)

2. How will the connection be made between the SIRT and the subway lines? I don't think the bridge will help, must make a large tunnel, and that's costly.

I like your idea, though.

Yeah, i dont think the MTA would pay that much $$$ on a tunnel.

The reality is, that only SIR can run outside of NYC, because it's a railroad. Inter-state commuter lines have to be railroad or special exception. PATH isn't an exception because it too is a railroad. North shore line to NJ is the most practical & would take the least amount of $.

- A

The Hudson Bergen Light Rail would be easy to extend to Staten Island

Correct. HBLR would be approved for a FRA exception as long as the signaling was appropriately adapted for inter-state use. The new bridges going between NJ and SI would be an easy lean-in project to allow a top to bottom rail + auto span vs modifying existing. Also, it would allow either/or.

You could have rail shuttle station to EWR, and one fare/ticket to go from SI to the other area heliports & airports. It would breathe new life into the area, and allow the housing market to recover in the region with more inter-connectedness and infrastructure jobs etc etc. As i've said before, the best way to survive a decline is to invest.

- A

Archived