11/19 Incident West of Jamaica?

Maddog

I am sitting on a Penn-Station bound train from the Babylon branch and we are stuck sitting right next to the Hillside Maintenance base. Conductor is telling people that a train was evacuated on the tracks west of Jamaica and few, if any, trains are getting through. Delays are unknown at this point, but possibly up to an hour. Anyone know more details on this? As I look around the junction where a bunch of the lines meet near Hillside I see trains all around sitting, looks bad.

Update: As of 8:21 AM we have moved about 1 train length down the track towards Jamaica. Trains everywhere standing still on other lines. The conductor has announced that they think a "broken rail" caused the accident, but still no details as to what happened. At least 45 minute delay from right now.

Update: 8:49AM We have moved up the tracks and are just east of Jamaica station. Trains are still sitting everywhere all around. It's actually a railspotter's dreamm since pretty much every type is somewhere in view. I've read online that two trains bumped each other on Track 1 at Jamaica, looks like a double-decker (C-3?) and an M7. It is going to be a looooong commute.

from what i heard on News 12 about 8:30 or 9:00, the MTA said that two trains "bumped" on track one just west of the Jamaica station. and that there was no train service west of there at that time.

on another channel i saw a Bi-Level car and i guess it was a M-7, near the end of the platform though it didn't look like there was much damage.

i guess they are looking at the engineer.

One would think they would learn from the incident in Los Angeles

I hope that this serves as a lesson. Friends don't let friends txt and T/O. lol

Out of curiousity though, could there not have been any sort of sofety devices to prevent this sort of thing like ATS or like the NTTs are, if you drop the bar, you'll go BIE?

Archived