Protocol on platform overshoots

Deucey

Call Control Center and be governed by their instructions.

What would USUALLY happen is one door would by keyed open by the crew on the cars that has platformed in the front section of the train.  The conductor opens the rear section normally.  The train usually continues in service and picks up a TSS enroute with the t/o being interviewed by the TSS determining if the t/o is fit for service or not.  The TSS would operate the train a few stops to check the brakes.  But in this case since the incident happened on the structure with likely wet rails, the train will stop a lot differently with dry rails underground. 

6 hours ago, Deucey said:

I’m on a 4 train that overshot at 161st. What’s the protocol on deciding whether to open the doors or skip the station?

I remember a long time ago I was on an (N) train and it overshot 30 Av by about 30 feet (half of the first car). The operator got out of his cabin and radioed to the conductor to open all the doors on the train and he stood inside the first car where the passengers ride to make sure no one would fall into the tracks from the first panel not aligning with the platform. I dont think this is the practice anymore. To be fair, it was way back when the operators were still getting used to operating the R160s and it had been snowing.

On 7/25/2022 at 4:53 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Call Control Center and be governed by their instructions.

What would USUALLY happen is one door would by keyed open by the crew on the cars that has platformed in the front section of the train.  The conductor opens the rear section normally.  The train usually continues in service and picks up a TSS enroute with the t/o being interviewed by the TSS determining if the t/o is fit for service or not.  The TSS would operate the train a few stops to check the brakes.  But in this case since the incident happened on the structure with likely wet rails, the train will stop a lot differently with dry rails underground. 

Interesting, it seems like a liability risk to let the T/O continue in service until s/he picks up a TSS for the interview further down the line. God forbid the T/O is having a stroke or is drunk or something, another accident could occur in the meantime. I'm surprised they don't have to wait for the TSS to arrive on the scene

19 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I remember a long time ago I was on an (N) train and it overshot 30 Av by about 30 feet (half of the first car). The operator got out of his cabin and radioed to the conductor to open all the doors on the train and he stood inside the first car where the passengers ride to make sure no one would fall into the tracks from the first panel not aligning with the platform. I dont think this is the practice anymore. To be fair, it was way back when the operators were still getting used to operating the R160s and it had been snowing.

With all the cell phones around, a passenger can easily "drop a dime" on the t/o by calling 311 or 511 and reporting the incident.  Now transit will take disciplinary action against the train operator for not reporting the incident.  In a "he said she said" situation, transit will always believe the passenger.

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

With all the cell phones around, a passenger can easily "drop a dime" on the t/o by calling 311 or 511 and reporting the incident.  Now transit will take disciplinary action against the train operator for not reporting the incident.  In a "he said she said" situation, transit will always believe the passenger.

One time I heard a train operator talking to what I think was his girlfriend and she was in the cabin. I reported it to nyct towtter because his train was being operated too slow and they asked me if I was willing to show up to speak in an administrative hearing 

On 7/26/2022 at 8:19 PM, darkstar8983 said:

because his train was being operated too slow and they asked me if I was willing to show up to speak in an administrative hearing

Yup. But I don’t care what they do in their stall as long as the train runs like the wind and they’re not braking like a retard. If making out or getting some (D) in there makes the train run faster, by all means carry on.