Odd service changes

Jftransit

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 8:41 AM, Jftransit said:

Anyone know any upcoming service changes that are odd? Like when the c went to the Bronx a few months ago. Or when the W runs on the B at night. Want to get some footage thank you

Click here. They are very rare, but they do happen as necessary.

Good luck!!

Well... there is a GO this weekend where the D is only running from 205 to 34th. the Q has it's own GOs going in the tunnel under Flatbush avenue, so the through Q between Stillwell and 96th/2nd will run via the west end and use the D's platforms at Stillwell, while a shuttle will run between Stillwell and prospect Park. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 3:52 PM, Kamen Rider said:

Well... there is a GO this weekend where the D is only running from 205 to 34th. the Q has it's own GOs going in the tunnel under Flatbush avenue, so the through Q between Stillwell and 96th/2nd will run via the west end and use the D's platforms at Stillwell, while a shuttle will run between Stillwell and prospect Park. 

Interesting:

They could have more simply split the (D) into two, running from 34-205 AND as a "Yellow (D79)" from Stillwell-96th Street-2nd Avenue, much like the (D) was back in the '80s and as I remember again late 1990's-early 2000s during Manhattan Bridge construction.  The (Q) in this scenario could have been from Stillwell-Prospect Park only.

And speaking of this G.O., this is another reason why I'd rebuild the Franklin shuttle back to two tracks and 600' platforms.  That would allow in a scenario like this the (Q) to go to Franklin Avenue and allow connections to the (C) (and (A) late nights).  You could then perhaps also have the Franklin (S)operate full-time between Franklin Avenue and Stillwell.

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Interesting:

They could have more simply split the (D) into two, running from 34-205 AND as a "Yellow (D79)" from Stillwell-96th Street-2nd Avenue, much like the (D) was back in the '80s and as I remember again late 1990's-early 2000s during Manhattan Bridge construction.  The (Q) in this scenario could have been from Stillwell-Prospect Park only.

And speaking of this G.O., this is another reason why I'd rebuild the Franklin shuttle back to two tracks and 600' platforms.  That would allow in a scenario like this the (Q) to go to Franklin Avenue and allow connections to the (C) (and (A) late nights).  You could then perhaps also have the Franklin (S)operate full-time between Franklin Avenue and Stillwell.

That is LESS simple. That is MORE confusing. Same reason they did not do the Yellow B and D routine 20 years ago. 

As for rebuilding the shuttle, that servers NO purpose so I don't know why you keep bringing it up. completely rebuilding it to a standard it NEVER was built for on the off chance it MIGHT be needed. You keep thinking BMT lines were served by trains longer than they actually were.

On 4/25/2023 at 7:00 PM, Kamen Rider said:

As for rebuilding the shuttle, that servers NO purpose so I don't know why you keep bringing it up. completely rebuilding it to a standard it NEVER was built for on the off chance it MIGHT be needed.

Yeah. This shuttle’s current state is a quirk of history and politics. Maybe when the city is flush with money and some politician from the area wants to champion the cause like they did when the shuttle was about to be demolished for good.

This segment of the Brighton having construction work and being cut off from Manhattan is a frequent enough occurrence—so much so that it factors into my consideration for getting a home along the line.

I do think the shuttle is useful, like as a shortcut between eastern queens and Brooklyn and Coney Island, but it was never designed to handle 600’ trains. Extending just Franklin Ave, just Franklin and having the trains skip the other stations, would still put the end of the platform at the south side of Atlantic Avenue. It’s what did in Dean Street, after all.