MaBSTOA B/O Exams - No Fee to Apply!! (Open Until Further Notice)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+,

As a friendly reminder, when you submit your online application, you must have either your Class B CDL (Commercial Driver License) or your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner Permit) with the Passenger "P" endorsement. They will run your abstract prior to you reporting for pre-employment, therefore, as long as you have the temporary paper permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will be fine.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement. If you would like and/or need more information into obtaining your Commercial Driver's License (CDL), click here.

When you are ready to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, click here to make a reservation for yourself.

Good luck!!

(Updated 3/19/2024)

On 8/1/2023 at 11:09 AM, lornaevo said:

Random list numbers were when they issued the BOSS. I believe those days are over. 

I agree 100%, those days are over.

8 hours ago, DEE123 said:

If it’s not random list numbers then I hope they call quick. I think I only got one of the questions wrong on the memory portion. I had to really think, and forced myself to make up any answer because my head was pounding from thinking so hard and I was still in the beginning of the exam. I really don’t know how anybody can get less than 90% on these exams. It reminds me of the exams I took in the 2nd grade for fun. 

One of the things which I would do to help me with the memorization portion is I would be sneaky and take a single headache pill (Tylenol) right before they distributed the memory books. This would help me dramatically, and, as a result, I also got one wrong on Exam # 2613 and Exam # 2614 as well. Whether the incorrect question was from the memory portion or the remainder of the exam, this I do not recall.

Good luck!!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Romeo Bennett said:

I have a question. I read the Notice of Examination and I read where it said cell phones and smartwatches are prohibited at the testing site. Does that mean you can’t bring them to 180 Livingston St at all or are they talking about not using them at the test site. 

When you arrive to the testing room on the fourth floor, they will instruct the candidates to put your cell phones and smartwatches away, out of sight and to turn them either on silent mode or off. One time during the winter months, I was taking an exam, in which my phone was on my belt holder, which was covered by a sweatshirt. Since the phone was out of sight the entire time, in addition to being on "silent," nobody said anything to me.

8 hours ago, +Young+ said:

When you arrive to the testing room on the fourth floor, they will instruct the candidates to put your cell phones and smartwatches away, out of sight and to turn them either on silent mode or off. One time during the winter months, I was taking an exam, in which my phone was on my belt holder, which was covered by a sweatshirt. Since the phone was out of sight the entire time, in addition to being on "silent," nobody said anything to me.

Ok I see. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the first processing date today. All that I can say is Make sure those employment packets are filled 100% or it will be a very long day. The packet being filled in it’s entirety will determine whether you leave the building at 11:30am, or 6pm. I’m talking about triple check every single page. Because they will send you back to the back of the line for the slightest error. Also there was a mixup with everybody’s list number. In the postal mail, I received my score and list number, but on the Email to appear for the processing date I received a completely different list number. The correct list number was in the email to appear and not in the mailed list number as there was a technical issue grading the exam.
By the time you sign in and they ask for the packet it would be too late and you’ll have to go back to the back of the line again. Also be ready to be urine tested because I was unaware, and was about to use the restroom. Next thing I knew they gave me a slip to go into the room to be tested, so there’s that as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did medical and final processing today. There were a lot of upset candidates, because It looks like a lot of people that took the same exam for both divisions, mabstoa, and Bus company got called for bus company only Including me. I saw at least 3 people that were upset at the depot and division that they were sent to, And stated they wanted to work for mabstoa instead.  The Only advice I can give is to just do the processing paperwork day one on the agency you would rather be in unless you don’t care which division you want to work for. Will save a lot of heartache. 

9 minutes ago, DEE123 said:

I did medical and final processing today. There were a lot of upset candidates, because It looks like a lot of people that took the same exam for both divisions, mabstoa, and Bus company got called for bus company only Including me. I saw at least 3 people that were upset at the depot and division that they were sent to, And stated they wanted to work for mabstoa instead.  The Only advice I can give is to just do the processing paperwork day one on the agency you would rather be in unless you don’t care which division you want to work for. Will save a lot of heartache. 

Do the process and take which ever comes first. You may end up liking it. If not you can always complete the other division paperwork when the time comes. 

5 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Do the process and take which ever comes first. You may end up liking it. If not you can always complete the other division paperwork when the time comes. 

What I was trying to say is that I don’t think the candidates had a choice as in whoever calls first as it’s a final decision. I’m personally happy with being picked for Bus Company. 

1 minute ago, DEE123 said:

What I was trying to say is that I don’t think the candidates had a choice as in whoever calls first as it’s a final decision. I’m personally happy with being picked for Bus Company. 

5 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Once your assigned bus company I dont think mabstoa is going to call you and vice versa if I’m hearing correctly what the HR representative in 180 Livingston said to the people that were upset about the division they were put in. 

4 hours ago, DEE123 said:

Once your assigned bus company I dont think mabstoa is going to call you and vice versa if I’m hearing correctly what the HR representative in 180 Livingston said to the people that were upset about the division they were put in. 

That doesn’t sound accurate. When they start hiring off the OA list and you’re on it, they have to give you a call for processing. 

10 hours ago, lornaevo said:

That doesn’t sound accurate. When they start hiring off the OA list and you’re on it, they have to give you a call for processing. 

If that’s the case then that’s even better I'm assuming the people in 180 Livingston that processed the final onboarding paperwork for the candidates weren’t certain with that was going on as this is something they weren’t used to seeing at the time, and they didn’t want to get the candidate’s hopes up by telling the candidates otherwise. I’m really hoping that this is the case, and I’m wrong. 

3 hours ago, DEE123 said:

If that’s the case then that’s even better I'm assuming the people in 180 Livingston that processed the final onboarding paperwork for the candidates weren’t certain with that was going on as this is something they weren’t used to seeing at the time, and they didn’t want to get the candidate’s hopes up by telling the candidates otherwise. I’m really hoping that this is the case, and I’m wrong. 

Let me tell you something about Livingston street. They don’t know much about much. Ask any 2 people the same question. I bet you get different answers each time. When I first started I learn much more from this site than anything Livingston told me. 

7 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Let me tell you something about Livingston street. They don’t know much about much. Ask any 2 people the same question. I bet you get different answers each time. When I first started I learn much more from this site than anything Livingston told me. 

I already had 2 people in Livingston try to Persuade me to not take the bus company position over mabstoa or TA, causing me to be in a weird position wondering if I’ll genuinely make a good choice by switching over or not. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • +Young+ changed the title to MaBSTOA B/O Exam # 4112 - No Fee to Apply!!

Hey @Frenchie, did you find me? This is the thread/topic that you are looking for. Offhand, besides Manhattan, which borough are you least familiar with?

And, as a new member, do you have access to Private Messaging (PM)? If not, or if you don't know what I'm talking about, let me know and we'll figure something out.

Thanks!!

15 minutes ago, Romeo Bennett said:

I got called for pre-employment processing. I go to 180 Livingston Tomorrow the 21st. Does anyone know how to fill out the All Agency Outside Activity Approval Request form ? I know part of the form has to be filled out by my employer but my supervisor never answers his phone. Thanks in advance for the help. 

If I’m not mistaken, if it is the 2nd to last page where it says for a supervisor to sign is the MTA HR supervisor, not yours.  Your employer doesn’t need to fill anything out on that form. 

1 hour ago, Romeo Bennett said:

I got called for pre-employment processing. I go to 180 Livingston Tomorrow the 21st. Does anyone know how to fill out the All Agency Outside Activity Approval Request form ? I know part of the form has to be filled out by my employer but my supervisor never answers his phone. Thanks in advance for the help. 

As @DEE123said. Your current employer doesn’t have to fill anything. It’s for you and the mta HR to complete. That being said. Anything you put on that form will be denied. Mta doesn’t allow dual employment for safety sensitive position.  So I filled out my info and put N/A for everything else.