Questions about potential future employment (Conductor and Train Operator)

TunnelVision22

First timer here…Pardon me if I’ve wrote something incorrectly because I just made an account on here…I’ve been reading this forum since yesterday and saw a lot of usable knowledge helping a lot of people so I was hoping I could do the same for myself 

Quick summary : I’m planning on applying for both Conductor and Train Operator when the applications open in the next few months and I’m willing to put all my time and energy into getting accepted into MTA by any means necessary.

I do have a few inquiries though, 

1 . Is there anyway to academically prepare for conductor school in advance? (As in a legitimate study guide, books, etc) I heard the green and yellow books are useless. I’ve been out of high school for several years now and I’d like to get a head start on the learning process for Transit school before I get there

2. Is it true that they check your credit during a background check? And do you need a NY Driver’s license for either of these jobs?

3. Does living an hour outside of NYC have an effect on my chances of getting the job? Because I’m willing to commute no matter what. Even if I have to take the train at 2 am to get there early

4. How long are both train operator and conductor school? Are the classes only in Brooklyn specifically?

5. I know they don’t want you to be a “know it all” before you get to the courses but if there’s any tips, hacks, or valuable cues or advice I’m willing to hear them all

Thank you in advance 

Living outside of the city wouldn't have any impact. They give a commutation pass good for LIRR or Metro-North (depending on which service area you live in). There's Transit employees coming from far-off exurbs in Delaware and Pennsylvania.

I know the Transit Learning Center is in Gravesend, Brooklyn. Not sure if there's any other options besides that one, or how long it takes before you actually get out onto the road operating passenger trains.

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Living outside of the city wouldn't have any impact. They give a commutation pass good for LIRR or Metro-North (depending on which service area you live in). There's Transit employees coming from far-off exurbs in Delaware and Pennsylvania.

I know the Transit Learning Center is in Gravesend, Brooklyn. Not sure if there's any other options besides that one, or how long it takes before you actually get out onto the road operating passenger trains.

Thanks for the response!

1..  Don't bother with any books.. Test is basic comprehension and such..

2... Credit check not sure License Required Yes....

3...No i live in Westchester County they have folks who live in PA DE NJ even out on the far east end of Long Island...

4..Times vary usually 6 to 8 months depending on what Div they send you too...

5... Pay attention you'll be fine 21 years down here it still works for me, i started from the first Open Competitive TO list

Good Luck...

Edited by RTOMan

14 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

1..  Don't bother with any books.. Test is basic comprehension and such..

2... Credit check not sure License Required Yes....

3...No i live in Westchester County they have folks who live in PA DE NJ even out on the far east end of Long Island...

4..Times vary usually 6 to 8 months depending on what Div they send you too...

5... Pay attention you'll be fine 21 years down here it still works for me, i started from the first Open Competitive TO list

Good Luck...

License required for conductor too? Or just T.O?

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I know the Transit Learning Center is in Gravesend, Brooklyn. Not sure if there's any other options besides that one, or how long it takes before you actually get out onto the road operating passenger 

4 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Hmm good question!...

lol if you find out feel free to let me know..Thanks

1 hour ago, TunnelVision22 said:

License required for conductor too? Or just T.O?

Conductor just requires a HS diploma or GED, as for T/O last test a license was needed, as for this one don't know yet TA loves last minute surprises. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question as well. Once your list number is reached and assuming you meet all relevant qualifications, do you still have to “pass” the interview? Or is the interview process more of a formality at that point. Reason I’m asking is because some city jobs like fire alarm dispatcher they give preference to those with relevant experience and who interview well, regardless of how high you scored on the multiple choice test

3 hours ago, drene said:

I have a question as well. Once your list number is reached and assuming you meet all relevant qualifications, do you still have to “pass” the interview? Or is the interview process more of a formality at that point. Reason I’m asking is because some city jobs like fire alarm dispatcher they give preference to those with relevant experience and who interview well, regardless of how high you scored on the multiple choice test

Honestly, interviews can be vague. It takes time to get to know people.