We need to talk about broken links

Not sure if anyone else on this website has talked about this, so I will. I've seen loads of links posted here, and I try to click on them, but it seems like 99% of them are broken. And have a lot of you had this problem as well or is it just me? Also, one other thing:

If you post a link in the future, please test it and make sure it works properly (and take whatever measures necessary to ensure that your links will continue to work for a long time). And if you know how to fix your links that are already broken, then I would suggest fixing it when you have the time. That way no one else would feel like they need to ask about every broken link they see.

Sorry if I sounded harsh there but I'm just very frustrated with the numerous broken links I keep finding.

On 2/7/2024 at 8:16 PM, UltraRandom1YT said:

Not sure if anyone else on this website has talked about this, so I will. I've seen loads of links posted here, and I try to click on them, but it seems like 99% of them are broken. And have a lot of you had this problem as well or is it just me? Also, one other thing:

If you post a link in the future, please test it and make sure it works properly (and take whatever measures necessary to ensure that your links will continue to work for a long time). And if you know how to fix your links that are already broken, then I would suggest fixing it when you have the time. That way no one else would feel like they need to ask about every broken link they see.

Sorry if I sounded harsh there but I'm just very frustrated with the numerous broken links I keep finding.

It depends on the type of links, some are temporary, others might be old and expired. Share some posts that have broken links if you can.

Haven't had a lot of time today to test links and stuff (too much school work). But now that I did it, Cait Sith and GojiMet86, you two get to be the lucky first two to get EVERY link you've posted here examined by me.

It may take me a while, but I will find them.

I decided to make a Google Doc to keep track of all this and I set it to anyone with the link can access it.

i_will_find_your_broken_links.txt

Talk about being unreasonable.

This forum is over 16 years old.

Find as many links as you want; knock yourself out.

There are plenty of people on here that's made thousands of posts - a good portion of which don't post here anymore.... Regardless, those of us that are not forum staff can't go back & edit old posts to fix broken links even if we wanted to, so this crusade of yours will be all for naught,

Flat out, I'll tell you right now that there are broken Google map links in old posts I have authored on here.... I'm not going to keep maps on my google drive I no longer have a need for - especially when they served their purpose around the time I posted a link to those maps... Some of the posts I outright state that said map will not be up for long (or something to that effect).... The thing about it is that people on here are fairly good with helping you out, as far as explaining what content a broken link may have entailed...

You talk about taking whatever measures necessary to ensure that your links will continue to work for a long time... Yes, because we should keep track of the status of every website that we've ever linked to on this forum, for as long as we're on this forum... Man, get the hell out of here.

Edited by B35 via Church

23 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

I'm pretty sure there are a ton of broken Photobucket links.

19 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

yup, mine included.

Yeah, let's not forget the links to the posts of posters that got hit when this site got hacked or whatever.... That Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect BS <_<

I suppose we're supposed to go back & edit our posts to remove those too....

It's enough that we have the time on our hands to even post on these forums as it is.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:51 AM, B35 via Church said:

Talk about being unreasonable.

This forum is over 16 years old.

Find as many links as you want; knock yourself out.

There are plenty of people on here that's made thousands of posts - a good portion of which don't post here anymore.... Regardless, those of us that are not forum staff can't go back & edit old posts to fix broken links even if we wanted to, so this crusade of yours will be all for naught,

Flat out, I'll tell you right now that there are broken Google map links in old posts I have authored on here.... I'm not going to keep maps on my google drive I no longer have a need for - especially when they served their purpose around the time I posted a link to those maps... Some of the posts I outright state that said map will not be up for long (or something to that effect).... The thing about it is that people on here are fairly good with helping you out, as far as explaining what content a broken link may have entailed...

You talk about taking whatever measures necessary to ensure that your links will continue to work for a long time... Yes, because we should keep track of the status of every website that we've ever linked to on this forum, for as long as we're on this forum... Man, get the hell out of here.

Then I won't go after all of them, I'll just find a few to use as examples for future users of this forum.

• Harry locked this topic