Just Curious

I possess a CDL A and I am interested in the bus training process. Can we complete the entire process, including the pre-trip inspection? Also, for those who already have a license, will they engage in other aspects of the training while others are obtaining their licenses?

5 hours ago, BlackRepublic1804 said:

I possess a CDL A and I am interested in the bus training process. Can we complete the entire process, including the pre-trip inspection? Also, for those who already have a license, will they engage in other aspects of the training while others are obtaining their licenses?

If I’m not mistaken, you will need to get a B permit with the passenger endorsement for your license before being hired.

You will go through training the same way as anyone else without a license from start to finish. Once you pass your road test to get the Class B+Pax endorsement added, you will start line training. After line training, you graduate with the rest of your classmates and soon thereafter, you’ll be on your own. 

Are you sure? I thought having an A license Trump everything. 

9 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

If I’m not mistaken, you will need to get a B permit with the passenger endorsement for your license before being hired.

You will go through training the same way as anyone else without a license from start to finish. Once you pass your road test to get the Class B+Pax endorsement added, you will start line training. After line training, you graduate with the rest of your classmates and soon thereafter, you’ll be on your own. 

Are you sure? I thought having an A license Trump  everything.

20 hours ago, BlackRepublic1804 said:

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Why is the MTA requesting a person with a Class A license to downgrade to a Class B license

I did some research. You would have to add the Passenger endorsement to your license, but will still be required to take the road test with the bus during training

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2024 at 3:04 PM, BlackRepublic1804 said:

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Why is the MTA requesting a person with a Class A license to downgrade to a Class B license

I also have a Class A CDL as well. However, as stated in the previous post, not only do you need to have the Passenger Endorsement, but you also need to take the road test in a bus as well. Whether you do this on your own through a driving school or with the MTA is up to you, however, at some point or another, you need to successfully take and pass a second road test in a bus.

Mind I ask: Who specifically from the MTA requested this 'person' with a Class A license to downgrade to a Class B? Was it Human Resources? Was it the folks at 750 Zerega Avenue in the Bronx? Just curious, that's all.

Edited by +Young+

On 3/8/2024 at 8:12 AM, BlackRepublic1804 said:

Are you sure? I thought having an A license Trump everything. 

Are you sure? I thought having an A license Trump  everything.

Do you have passenger endorsement? If no, then it doesn’t trump everything.  You need to have the passenger endorsement.