New Yorkers on Coney Island call for solution to screeching subway noise

Posted (edited)

I came across this video on YT (Credit to CBS New York). At some point or another we've heard stories of how loud the NYC subway's are and can be. But what's your take on this...

Edited by jon2305

That noise is due to the el structures being made of steel and the way the tracks are directly bolted to the steel. Not to mention the F train's curve.

Maybe dampeners in the track or sound barriers (covering the entire structure to be effective) could be installed to reduce this.

But unless if the entire el structure is rebuilt with concrete or magically buried underground (which neither will ever happen because of costs and topography), then the noise will continue to persist in some way.

Sounds like they want to not have subway service for 74 years.

I’ve heard work trains honk their horns in the evenings, screeching of trains coming from West 8 Street, and clanking of wheels over Neptune Avenue into the creek in Coney Island for several decades. The trains have been there before I was even born. My family knew what kind of experience they were buying when we moved in.

I would also love for the elevated lines to be replaced, with a better elevated line or an underground one. But such projects are generational now, and those who get it started never live to see it done.

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if Simpson St on the (2)(5) had the noise problem before. Or that it's different compared to what's seen for Coney Island. 

IIRC, the building that is on the corner of Westchester Avenue & Southern Blvd, which the (2) and (5) get extremely close to as its making its way into Simpson Street Station is not used for residential purposes. That building, I would assume, can probably feel the train as it is rounding that curve. There are a few other residential buildings in the immediate area, however, I don't know how loud it gets for them. I will say that it gets extremely loud under the El when the train is rounding that curve.

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if Simpson St on the (2)(5) had the noise problem before. Or that it's different compared to what's seen for Coney Island. 

It's not as loud as Stillwell right now. I can take the Simpson curve, but I stay far away from Stillwell's curve between itself and West 8

Posted (edited)

When that resident said "for the short term they might lower the speed" well they could...

They have speed restrictions on the (F) entering and leaving west 8th street..

Now that (Q) train... Another matter...

Edited by RTOMan