9/11 Reflection Thread

Harry

I worked at the world Trade Center from 95 - 2000. I have nothing but great memories there. I started as a tour guide and worked my way up to the money room for the Top of The World Observation Deck, 2 World Trade Center. This day will bring me nothing but sadness and grief the rest of my life as I lost several good friends there. Friends that I had the pleasure of knowing, even if only for a short time.

R.I.P

Giann F. Gamboa, Edwin J. Zambrana, Manuel Dejesus Molina and Richard L. Salinardi

I was working in Brooklyn that morning. When someone rushed in and was screaming that the World Trade Center was on fire. So we put on 1010 Wins and started listening. We were on the second floor with a perfect view of lower Manhattan. I can't get that image out of mind sometimes.

I was in class when it happened. One of the secretaries from the main office announced over the loudspeaker that there had been an "explosion" in the World Trade towers, and that if any of the students had any family who worked there, they could be excused from class to make a phone call. 20 minutes later, she announced that it had been a terrorist attack, and soon after, we were told that we were going to be dismissed at 11:30.

I was in 5th grade at the time,and all of a sudden kids started to leave class in chunks until there was a few left,then my mom came to get me,so we were walking home and my mom said to me that we were attacked,and my first thought was you gotta be joking,this country being attacked!?But then we went down to the harbor in Atlantic Hihlands where we lived and I saw the twin towers were gone by that point,but you could still see all the smoke rising from ground zero. And a little later a ferry(seastreak) came in with survivors,and injured,but my mom brought me home by that point,so I would't have to see what the people looked like and hear them screaming.We heard stories of the people being washed of down at the harbor by the fire department and loaded onto a bus to be brought home or to the hospitial.

And every 9/11 that has come around so far, I have thought that if I was old enough to be a fire fighter I would have went there myself and risked my life for the others.

Archived