Subway to Bayside/Douglaston...

KeystoneRegional

Yup, me too.

The (F) could go along Hillside or put the (E) there if people feel the (F) route is too long...

I'll stick with the F

The (7) could go along Northern since it is closer...

Well, I advocate a Northern Blvd subway connecting to the SAS

A LIE route? Eh, I don't feel it is cool to run a subway by the highway, except Light Rail.

Actually it has been done before. Check Chicago's Red line and the Blue Line. Both feature subway lines running down the median of expressways.

Oh, I know but the LIE? Eh, too much since New York isn't that big for a subway line to run by the Highway... If they haven't done the LIE expansion, then I'd support a subway plan there...

I walked along it between Fresh Meadows La and Main Street in summer 07. I saw the spots where a subway could run. I'm not certain about the remaining stretch.

Well, those are narrow and clean, sweet for New York! B)!

Not for New York. Notice any hi-rises in those pictures? Nope. Those are great for the suburbs, as I said, but pantograph lines will never happen in Manhattan, and are too dangerous for Brooklyn and Queens too.

I could see it being safer in certain parts of The Bronx and Staten Island, but again, the other issues of cost versus those of simply extending subway lines come into play, and that still remains the better option.

By the way, cars can also drive on the railbed, so no traffic will be majorly disrupted

Major no-no. Cars and trains on the same railbed don't mix. First, it slows everybody down. Second, trains can't stop on a dime, so if you have a speeding train that just notices a car ahead, you probably have some people dead, a totaled car, a wrecked train, destroyed tracks, and billions of dollars in lawsuits.

Major no-no. Cars and trains on the same railbed don't mix. First, it slows everybody down. Second, trains can't stop on a dime, so if you have a speeding train that just notices a car ahead, you probably have some people dead, a totaled car, a wrecked train, destroyed tracks, and billions of dollars in lawsuits.

Needless to say, but I'm glad you said it. B)

Light rail & trolly systems have been working since horse drawn streetcars.

You folks need to ride HBLR and newark light rail in the middle of the day. It's a fun experience!

There are tons of off the shelf options from every railcar manufacturer (NYCT) has ever dealt with and then some. If (NJT) transit can do it, then (NYCT) should be able to also.

- A

Light rail & trolly systems have been working since horse drawn streetcars.

You folks need to ride HBLR and newark light rail in the middle of the day. It's a fun experience!

There are tons of off the shelf options from every railcar manufacturer (NYCT) has ever dealt with and then some. If (NJT) transit can do it, then (NYCT) should be able to also.

- A

The thing is, it is better to have grade separation when talking about a Queens system.

True, there are many benefits towards light rail technology (or otherwise streetcar technology). However the thing is, it will be delayed or will be delaying other traffic. This is shown in the HBLR system and the MetroRail Blue, Green and Gold Lines in Los Angeles. In Calgary, Alberta (Canada), the C-Train runs down 7th Avenue SW in the downtown sector. This thoroughfare is off limits to other traffic. However, while it is off limits to other traffic, light rail trains MUST obey traffic signals. That means, if the light turns green on a crossing street, the trains must stop and wait till the light changes for them.

There are numerous instances of light rail-related auto accidents in Los Angeles. This is also shown in Hong Kong with the Light Rail system in the Yuen Long area of Hong Kong. Again, there has been numerous cases of accidents regarding light rail.

A heavy rail technology will not only feature grade separation, but also it could be incorporated with the existing rail network, allowing for seemless travel from East Queens and other parts of the city.

Well, richmond isn't as convienient as Kings...

Kings and Queens are all royal stuff! :)!

And yup Light Rail in Staten Is. will be great but it wouldn't really be like a New York City Boro. unless an also proposed 'Nostalgia-Style' Light Rail in Red Hook in Kings is implemented...

I'll just stick with Brooklyn.

I once had a plan to run light rail along First Avenue. In Lower East Side/Chinatown, the centre malls down Allen Street and Pike Street could be used as light rail stations.

Archived