The West Hempstead line topic?

Shortline Bus

Hi guys. With the MTA and it 'doomesday' bdget calling for sevre service cuts, one area of the agency that I am surpised about that not getting talked about is this? The West Hempstead LIRR is IMO a waste beacuse the nearby Hempstead and Bayblon-Montauk and Long Beach lines being so close.

Unless someone here can tell me otherwise IMO this line should be a rush hour only line? Why it even has limited weekend and weekday service is beyond me. Any replies

Sorry for confusion. Yes i admit i hardly been on the West Hempstead line but i meant to ask is really weekend service needed? Especially you have '2' other lines very close by (the Hempstead and Babolyn lines).

On weekend it already only about 3-4 trips(2-3 hour headways)so just wondering is weekend service could be canned to save the MTA/LIRR money?

Flatbush Avenue/Atlantic Avenue Terminal is more packed during the evening rush.....seats are all filled and trains on every track!

Much smaller place, nyp is much bigger. At nyp, the entire LIRR concourse gets filled even the hallway between the (1)(2)(3) and (A)(C)(E) stations. Upstairs and in the southern part of the lower level you have amtrak & NJ transit also packed. LIRR waiting room during peak hours you can't find a seat, and the bathroom is always packed.

As a former regular rider of LIRR i'd have to say that nyp is too small & ESA couldn't come fast enough!

- A

Several Babylon bound trains from Flatbush Ave that I have boarded at Jamaica have had plenty of free seats. That's why during warm weather I prefer to take a stop in Jamaica from Hunterspoint Ave rather than go back to Penn Station and deal with all of the crowds.

The most interesting train to me that Originates out of Flatbush Ave is the 5:29 to Huntington (Express to Westbury) its the only train out of Brooklyn that bypasses Jamaica and still has decent ridership, its also the only train that bypasses Jamaica without even going thru the station, using the Brooklyn Freight tracks underneath the Airtrain

But anyways I agree the West Hempstead Branch certainly does not need weekend or midday service...(I would allow one direct train out Penn in the PM to correspond with the direct train in the AM)

I am not for closing the line, but I honestly do not see why the line should have any service outside of Rush Hours....I've always looked at the WH Line as a branch that helps relieve crowding on Hempstead and Babylon Trains during peak hours....the amount of off peak and weekend riders the line sees is beyond low..and plus all the communities it serves are within driving, if not walking distance of the Hempstead and Babylon lines which see much better service

I am not for closing the line, but I honestly do not see why the line should have any service outside of Rush Hours....I've always looked at the WH Line as a branch that helps relieve crowding on Hempstead and Babylon Trains during peak hours....the amount of off peak and weekend riders the line sees is beyond low..and plus all the communities it serves are within driving, if not walking distance of the Hempstead and Babylon lines which see much better service

Perfectly said. I thought why is non-rush hour service on West Hempstead not on the chopping block in the MTA doomesday budget and other imo more stupid ones are? Also LI Bus's N-31/32 and N-15 all travel at or near almost all of the station stops along the WH line too for those who dont own a car.

This is not a personal knock against those living on this forementioned line. However WH not being reduced is another example of the MTA trying to solve it so called fiscal crisis on towns and communites with little or no political power.

The WH line is actually on the doomesday budget for the end of all service including rush hours. IMO rush hour & midday service on West Hempstead should stay weekdays but not weekend/holidays.

Another bad decison by the MTA. WH does take riders away from the nearby and busy Hempstead and Babolyn lines.:mad:

Archived