How to apply for the subway

4LexingtonAvExp

First Rule: Dont Cap!

2nd: You a H/S or GED Diploma to get into the MTA, for example C/R= Conductor, the test was on Saturday Dec 6th, which applying was for Sept 2008, next C/R exam is in 4-5yrs..

If you wanna become a T/O=Train Operator - you need 5 yrs work experience (Or 30 Credits in College) and a H/S or GED

For B/O (Bus Operator) in MaBSTOA (Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority) or NYCT[New York City Transit] or Other MTA Regional Buses, all you need in a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) and must know how to drive~

It will take a while to get called or mailed, thats because the city will go with the Highest scoring person in the Test and down.

You need a 70% or Higher for C/R as I know, cuz I took the exam , plus Julio and Dragon

BTW you must be 18+ tp get into the MTA as C/R (23 for T/O) and I think 23 for B/O?

You must posses your regular drivers license for at least 3 years to be appointed as a bus operator and have a CDL Class B. I believe you're eligible for your full driver's license at 17 and your CDL Class B at 18(for driving buses only, Sanitation, for example, requires you to have a Class B, but the endorsement is different and the minimum age is 21 for that requirement because of it), so that would mean the minimum age to become a B/O is 20.

yes but that was back in the days, we are talking about the 2000s which we are near 2009

Back in the day? I'm only 31 now. For promotion to T/O there is NO age restriction you can be 18. For the open competetive there is NO age restriction just the work history and or college credits!

I have a feeling that the work history is just there to discriminate against young people. If there isn't one for C/R why should there be one for T/O?

Because T/O was only a promotional job until Jan. 2000. They want a more responsible employee than for other positions. T/O is a much more involved job with ALOT more responsibility than C/R. School is 6 months compared to 2 months. And that 6 months is to short in my opinion.

If you worked in my office you know see that responsibility doesn't always come with age but if that's what the MTA wants, can't do nothing about it. I should be good by the time the application period comes by.

It's possible to have a 5 year work history starting at 15 years old. My friend is a T/O right now and he just turned 29 last month and has been a T/O for 7 years off of that first open competitive test. He was only 20 when he took the test.

Age is the SOLE reason the NYPD added the college credit requirements though. It was right after all of those 18-20 year old cops went out of town and destroyed that hotel during a bachelor party.

As train operator, you have people in as many as 11 train cars under your control. One slip up, and they could all be injured... some killed.

Work experience usually allows people to become more rational, and maybe calmer. I remember when I started as a TV News Producer at 21, I was the biggest a**hole around. Everything was a huge deal to me. At 26, the world could be exploding, and I'd still be calm. The experience helps.

I'm guessing its the same deal with the (MTA).

Archived